Pain...

TheKitsune6
TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
I have had a sore throat for almost two months now. It's so painful that even swallowing normally feels like knives, let alone if I try and eat something or am breathing heavy from activity.

I don't have insurance so I'd like to put off going to a doctor and little things like gargling salt water, drinking tea and painkillers are helping... except when I try to exercise or eat.

Long story short I feel guilty because it feels like I'm making excuses when I wake up in the morning and I don't get on my elliptical, or when I'm not eating well because it hurts. Any suggestions on healthy easy to ingest foods or exercises that I can do without aggravating this?

Replies

• junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    This may not be helpful, and I know you said you didn't have insurance, but my best advice is to go to a doctor. That is far too long to have a sore throat and sounds like something that you need to have looked at. I don't know where you live but many places have doctors you can visit that charge less depending on income or you could call around and find the best cash price. But, really, my best advice is to get it checked out.
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    I agree with Juni. If you've had a sore throat for TWO MONTHS (wow!), you could have a serious infection that may not get better without prescribed medication.
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    If you go to the ER they can perform a rapid step test and will not turn you away for that I don't think...That can affect your heart left untreated. Or could be mono you never know without a blood test for that...But the rapid strep is quick and easy. Publix supermarket has free antibiotics in Florida not sure where you are but you can google in your zip code and if so then the ER doctor can write for Rx and take to local store or Walmart 4 dollar RX program to get anbx.
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Definitely go to a doctor. Your body is telling you that something is wrong - listen to it. Call around to local doctor's offices, explain that you don't have insurance, and ask if they have a sliding scale fee. Most offices will offer this option and will allow you to pay significantly less for your visit. Good luck, and take good care.
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Yes, strep throat is nothing you want to put off getting remedied. Surely you can find a clinic that can at least run a test for that for next to nothing and prescribe the antibiotic. Don't put it off any longer!
  • mandy431
    mandy431 Posts: 2 Member
    Some drug stores have clinics inside, like CVS or Walgreen's. I've been to the one in Walgreen's and it wasn't bad or that expensive. Maybe that would be cheaper than a doctor for you and you might have a better idea of what is wrong.

Good luck!
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Or a health care clinic sponsored by the county (we have these in FL)

Or a walk-in clinic is 50-75$ usually. It's woth $50 to be healthy!
  • kwill23
    kwill23 Posts: 122 Member
    You should definitely see a doctor, and don't go to the ER unless you have no other choice. It sucks to have to pay 50-75$ to see a DR but its not as bad as a $300 ER bill. It sounds like strep throat which when left untreated can cause heart problems later in life.
  • cindyrey
    cindyrey Posts: 53
    YOU REALLY NEED TO TO THE DOCTOR, ER WOULD BE YOUR BEST BET, iT SOUNDS LIKE STEP TO ME OR MONO.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Go to a doctor ASAP! Strep is a major issue...not only is it very contagious but it's also life threatening. I'm a prior open heart patient and if I develop Strep I need to be on antibiotics within 3-4 days of contracting it or else I'll be in the hospital within a week with heart issues and pnumonia. It's no joke...$50 now will save $1,000's later for ER and possible ICU charges. I'm not trying to scare you...but it's very important to protect yourself and others that you're in contact with on a daily basis.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Just wanted to add that I would NOT suggest going to the ER. Yes, you will be seen but the bill will be FAR more expensive and you have a greater risk of being exposed to some pretty nasty germs/infections. Go to an urgent care or call around to doctors but I would go to the ER as a last resort.
  • katie30
    katie30 Posts: 55
    Have to go with the rest of the crew on this one, get yourself into a doctor. please!

Strep is only one of the many possible options. If you still have your tonsils, it may be a combination of strep and tonsillitis. These infections just don't go away on there own and the longer you leave them, the worse they are. Sometimes resulting in major surgery. $50 now vs. $20,000 later for a hospital stay is well worth it.

Not to encourage you not going to the doctor, but you do have to eat something too. Can't let the body get under nourished or it will be even harder to fight off the infection, even with antibiotics. SO, some suggestions:

yogurt
    baby food type purees (do a google search for homemade baby foods, tons of recipes out there)
    soups like chicken noodle, baked potato, split pea, tomato

Avoid anything that is sharp or crunchy, like crackers, chips, etc. They tend to irritate the area more. Add some honey to your tea, it will help it go down and give you some needed sugars.

Hope this helps and hope you see the doctor and start feeling better.
This discussion has been closed.