eating less when its hot?

Options
Ive only eaten about 900 cals today. Im full. Its hot and i dont have air con yet. Does anyone else eat less in hot weather? Or should i really try to add sone cals even though im not hungry?

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more regardless of hot weather...900 calories isn't enough. You could try more calorie dense food like some nuts that'll pack more calories but won't make you feel too full. Are you exercising as well?
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat less too when its hot because I drink more which fills me up.

Try eat some ice cream :wink:
  • VelvetAcidVixen
    Options
    Yep that's happened to me before. If it's just a one day thing and you are really not hungry I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    have some ice cream!
  • indigo_rose
    Options
    I had to force myself to eat.. But yes it was stinking hot and I could have gone without it today. You'll pick back up once the heat wave has passed so I wouldn't fret too much.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Golden rules

When you are hungry - eat something

When you eat - pay attention to eating, eat slowly, eat consciously and enjoy your food.

When you are full - STOP eating, you can always eat more later

Yeah today you may only have 900 calories but tomorrow you may be more hungry and eat and extra 300, it all balances out.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm exactly the same. Where I live it's like 40 degrees (105 to you Americans haha)
    I can get down some juice and a salad. But everything else is just too much in this weather. Just eat calorie dense foods like nuts/oils/ect to make up for it :)
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I totally lose my appetite when it's hot. I used to live in a place where it regularly got above 40C in summer, and every time I ate, I'd end up sick about 10-15 minutes later. I eventually accepted this and kept my calories up through liquids (Gatorade and fresh fruit juices etc.). It's not a good long term dietary option as you miss other nutrients, but on those days where the heat's unbearable, it's about all my stomach can tolerate.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Golden rules

When you are hungry - eat something

When you eat - pay attention to eating, eat slowly, eat consciously and enjoy your food.

When you are full - STOP eating, you can always eat more later

Yeah today you may only have 900 calories but tomorrow you may be more hungry and eat and extra 300, it all balances out.
    I followed those rules and found myself with 85 lbs to lose. :drinker: No seriously, I know where you're coming from and would love to do the whole "intuitive eating" thing, but a think a lot of people struggle to actually put it into practise. "Listening to my body" doesn't work for me as far as calorie intake goes. Listening to my brain is working so far though. :wink:

OP - 900 calories in a day is not enough. If it's just this one day, completely isolated, then it's not a big deal. Try and eat a bit more on the following days, and you'll be fine. If it gets to be a habit though, then that's not a good thing. Try and plan better so that you get more food in earlier in the day and you're not left at the end of the day with tons of calories left over.

Also, if you really don't feel like much volume of food, try to go for more calorie-dense foods - avocados, seeds, nuts, nut butters, cheese, oils added to salads/cooking. Have full fat dairy rather than low fat (eg. the cottage cheese I saw in your diary). You can drink your calories too - milk, nut milk, smoothies, protein shakes etc. It soon adds up. It's easy to get into that mindset of the fewer calories in the food, the better. You need to find a balance though, and if you're struggling now to get calories in, go for the higher-calorie stuff.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks. The next morning i was hungry and definitely made up for it! Will keep the nuts in mind
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes. In the summer I consistently netted a few hundred below what I was supposed to and wasn't hungry at all. It's cold now and my food intake went up. I have to be much more careful to stay below my calories for the week.

In summer i was often under 1000. Now I'm looking if it's 200.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat less when it's hot. And it's mostly fruits or juices, or ice cream, lol.

Where's it hot right now? It's a freaking snowstorm in here.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    In the summer I think everyone eats lighter! Salads with grilled chicken, fresh fruit, smoothies. In the winters people tend to eat heartier, creamier foods.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Its hot in australia. Nice cool breeze now though.