Leg exercises & advice?

Options
So i'll be totally honest here, my legs are the biggest part of me and always have been. I've inherited what my dad always called 'thunder thighs'. I always covered them up and resigned to the fact that they were big and there was no point even trying.

Recently i decided enough was enough and attempted to do various exercises to burn the calories and get fit as a whole... I've discovered i have next to no strength in my legs and after a 20 minute work out my legs turn to jelly and the next morning i'm is such agony i can barely walk down the stairs, but the rest of my body is doing ok!

I'm looking for some advice on what to do? Maybe people with similar problems could give some guidance?

Replies

• Shanewatson384
    Shanewatson384 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Did you know you burn the most calories when you exercise your legs? That’s because they’re home to your body’s biggest muscle groups, so it takes more energy to move them. If you want sculpted, lean legs, check out fitness expert Jorge Cruise's exercise plan.....
  • NataBee
    NataBee Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Anybody? :'(
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Maybe keep doing what you're doing, until your legs aren't in so much pain the next day?? But do give them a day or two off in between whatever you did. When the soreness is a bit better, try whatever you did agin. Then when they're not as bad anymore, add in a few things.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    There are many good leg exercises to do. Squats, Walking Squats, Step backs, lunges. Glut lifts, bird dogs. Have you done an internet search? also are you a member of a gym anywhere that can get you set up with good exercises? also activities like running and bicycling work your legs too. Good luck - I tend to store a lot of jiggly fat on my thighs too. Hate it
  • NataBee
    Options
    I've been using an exercise bike and tried butt kicks, squats and lunges, but after one 20-30 min mild session i turn to jelly and have to stop then sore for the next 4-5 days before i can try again.
    I was hoping someone would know of another way to like ease me into it, but i guess i'll just have to only do work outs once every 4-5 days until i build up more strength. It will take a long time at this rate though!
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I first started strenth training my legs, so sore at first I could barely walk up stairs (I live on a 3rd floor walk up!) and sometimes hurt to even touch....it goes away but I would not wait too many days between work outs. I found that in the begining strength training 2 days a week and doing cardio (walking/jogging/elliptical-whatever I could do depending on how sore I was) on an alternate 2-3 days was best. Just not working my muscles for 4-5 days made it harder for me when I tried again, so moderate use in between worked great. Now I full body strength train 3 days a week followed by moderate cardio and just cardio on 2-3 other days...walking and jogging on an incline (even just 1-2%) on the treadmill has done wonders as well.

Also, drink a lot of water during the day and eat bananas!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    It's called DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). Usually shows up a day or two after working out. My legs are the one body part that always gets DOMS. I've found that cardio actually really helps with the soreness. As does drinking alot of water, stretching (very important!), & Epsom salt baths to name a few.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I prescribe to the "don't be a p***y" theory of if your legs or any body part are sore after 2 days rest, work it out anyway.

Working through sorness will often make you adapted to what's making you sore. I don't get sore anymore from my workouts FWIW.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Sometimes doing mild exercise can help with soreness. So, if it usually takes you 4/5 days to recover from a workout, I would recommend only doing 75% of the leg parts and see how you feel. If you are sore, but not hurting, then do another set in a day or two.

Also it can take a while to learn the difference between "sore" as in "it feels bad but i can still work out b/c this is part of getting stronger" and "hurt" as in "change what you are doing b/c you are hurting yourself"

Good luck!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some advice on what to do?

Keep working hard. Make increasing the pain from last week your goal.
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    You legs contain the biggest muscles in your body and when you hit them hard they will take more time to recover. But over time it will get better. You're not doing anything wrong. When I first started hitting my legs really hard, I'd be sore for 4 or 5 days.. I know it sucks. But over time the soreness will become less and less, so that they're only sore for one or two days. Just make sure you're getting some protein in afterwards to support recovery.

The #1 exercise you should be doing with your legs is squats. A close second is weighted walking lunges. These are both actually full body exercises which will hit your core as well.
  • NataBee
    Options
    Thank you all :) I'll be trying again tonight then, at least i have a desk job to recover on the aching days after! :p