How to handle cheat days. I don't want to fail.

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am wondering how you guys handle cheat days. Do you allow yourself cheat days and if so how do you make it work without gaining extra and succeeding. I just don't want to fail this time. This is a lifestyle change for me and I want to be healthier and keep the weight off this time.

I don't believe in "cheat days." I exercise and eat healthy most of the time. If I want a treat or have a party or a holiday, I enjoy myself and try to make up for it in exercise the rest of the week and then I move on. If it's a lifestyle, you have to be able to live it. But there is no reason to schedule a day where you just eat and eat and eat without worry. You can throw your entire diet off with one day a week.

Just use common sense and plan.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I am healthier all days - if I go out or treat myself I still try and be healthier, and log everything best I can so I know why I am where I am.
  • luvhandles74
    luvhandles74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    cheating implies that you are breaking a rule. Rules imply that you are breaking a rule. Breaking food rules brings on guilt. Guilt brings on self-loathing. Self-loathing brings on the lying to yourself, ie "I dont care". "I dont care" + depriving yourself = binge. Binge = More guilt. More guilt leads to creating stricter less compassionate rules. Strict rules make you want to cheat. Start vicious cycle over.

Dont-reward-yourself-with-food-logo.png

It just doesnt work well unless you take that word cheat out and all its implications.

Instead - do this.

Plan what youre going to eat for the next 3 - 7 days. Include several of your favorite meals and some that you know are just healthy fuel. have a small dessert a couple times a week. have a drink when you'd like one. Just think smart. Think big picture. Think - this is my life - not a test in PE and Health on friday that Im cramming for. If you need to look forward to food because there are some meals that you love and miss, then plan them into your week.

But dont associate negative words like cheat with your food.

You aren't cheating, baby, youre eating.

Well said!

Listen to Yoovie...she knows what she's talkin about..
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the other responses BUT Do not EVER use the word cheat! Changing your lifestyle involves changing the way you think, and if you are "cheating" that means your lifestyle is optional. Simply put, eat what you want when you want IN MODERATION. When you want to have a bigger meal just allot for that meal in your daily calories. Also, Its not a crime to go over every now and then just don't make it a habit.

It took me a while to stop sabotaging myself every weekend. I'd lose weight during the week then "cheat" and gain it back over the weekend. After a month of 2 steps forward 1 step back I finally stop Cheating and focused on making everyday count. A lifestyle is not something you follow for 5 or 6 days out of the week, its 24-7. So NO CHEATING! :-)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    for all those who say "I don't cheat I am always a healthy eater" stop your lying :tongue:

:tongue: I call it INDULGING!
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Dont-reward-yourself-with-food-logo.png

This exactly!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. If I'm craving something, I eat it and then log it. I have found that my portion sizes have lowered a lot since logging my food, and I'm still full. I also used to have a horrible sweet tooth. That has decreased significantly in the last month with my changed eating habits. Just take it all in moderation. Allow for small treats. :) Good luck!

ETA - Exactly what Yoovie said....(sorry, read it after I posted). :)
  • Unodragone
    Options
    for all those who say "I don't cheat I am always a healthy eater" stop your lying :tongue:

God you're my favorite person :happy:
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I feel a cheat day is where your a bit more relaxed about what you eat. Like maybe your gonna go out to eat you should still make healthier choices like sticking to a light beverage either going straight to a sugar packed one.or like choosing a healthier entree but not worry so much about how many calories exactly your eating. Not eating a whole appetizer, entree full of grease and a dessert. Or maybe eating clean and healthy all day but having that candy bar you have been craving. I don't feel a cheat day should mean eat whatever and whenever all day and go way over board. I look at a cheat day as letting yourself have something not so healthy or just being a little more relaxed while still being healthy.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Amen sister!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    When I did WW years ago and was moderately successful (lost like 30 pounds), I had cheat days. I don't have them now. Having a cheat day tells me that what i am doing is temporary and I will be able to go back to the old lifestyle someday. That being said, I still have the food that i want. I just do my best to modify what I eat to make it better. If I really want a burger at home, I can make it a turkey burger with no bun. Or if (and when!) I really want the whole burger experience, I just make it fit into my calories by exercising more. I don't deprive myself. It would be the surest way to make sure this lifestyle change doesn't work. And if I just really go over my calories in a day (when doesn't happen often), I just do it. That's life.
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    quit calling it a cheat day.

call it a reward day...or a rest day or a vacation weekend....something with a positive angle to it.

there will be days when you go over. if you know they are coming, plan them into the mix. If they just hit you, adjust for it.

having a set day each week to "cheat" is lame.

if you want to plan a day a week to go over, make it worth it. that would involve a cheesecake.

^^this
  • Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of cheat days, but I used to have them all the time when I was last here so this time I've allowed for a 'treat' a day so I don't get a craving for something and over-indulge.
    For the next four weeks my 'treats' will be my advent calendar chocolate each morning because, really, I'm a big kid and it's also a way of controlling how much chocolate I have. I mean, one tiny piece of chocolate is better than a small bar.
    I'm just going to reiterate what everyone else seems to have said so far: don't have cheat days, they usually don't work. If you indulge, log it anyway rather than lying to yourself and don't sweat it if it's not a common occurence! (if it is, perhaps re-evaluate your goals.) If you want to indulge regularly, factor it in to your day.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Cheat meal not cheat day
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    You just keep going. I've found that honestly... my cheat days are glorious! I had a cheat week for thanksgiving, and only gained a pound back.. and lost it by the next morning!
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key. Enjoy the foods you want...but in moderation. Instead of eating that whole candy bar...only eat half :) that type of thing.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    If you are doing "cheat days" then you aren't truly changing your life and learning why you go to where you did, now are you...?
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    I don't have 'cheat' days per say. I certainly go 'over' very often, but I don't schedule it. I also know that once I hit my target weight I'll be able to eat some high calorie foods I currently eat very infrequently. Overall, I needed to drastically change my diet and start eating healthy foods because fried chicken, burgers and pizza weren't cutting it. Don't think of it as cheating, but as a treat on special occasions.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even schedule "cheat days". It's like planning to *kitten* up your training.........
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    The way I imagine it, is if I eat the proper calories for 300 days out of the year, I'm guaranteed to lose weight. Since I can't imagine giving myself more than one day a week to take care of cravings... then I settle for that.

Sometimes I don't even have a "cheat day" although for me it's more accurate to call it craving day. So I give myself a rule that there can't be more than one a week... so if I wake up one morning salivating over something I need to wait at least 7 additional days before I can have one again.

Honestly I don't think it's a good idea to have a craving day if you don't think you have enough self control yet. The first 10-15 days of better eating were the hardest for me, I had a serious addiction to food. But once I got into the swing of things I handled them quite well and they kept any plateaus at bay just in case.... not to mention made it much easier to continue with a healthy lifestyle.

The best version of a craving day is one where you just eat one craving meal.