Help! The Scale Was Mean

Options
ok so weighed myself this morning, and the number was WAY off. INSANELY off. i am fitting back into my small(er) clothes again and looking good, but my weight was insanely skewed. this is why i don't weigh myself. ive also been lifting heavy weights and building muscle, so that could have increased it. (i lift on average 60 pounds for arms and 75 pounds for legs) i also used a package delivery scale, not a scale meant for humans. could this have made a difference? i know for a fact my measurements have gotten smaller, so I am not discouraged.

Anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• NatsukoG
    NatsukoG Posts: 104
    Options
    ALL the time. Don't sweat it. Sometimes when it's really cold in the mornings my scales are out of wack and sometimes I just fluctuate. this week for instance I've worked my butt off, ate really well but gained a lb. Possibly water, possibly muscle. The thing is that I've had ups and downs all year and still lost a ton of weight so I'll just keep pushing onward.

that's not to say the scales don't upset me - I've been tempted to throw them out of the bathroom window many times and have uttered many, many rude words to them. :grumble:

Keep up the good works and the scales will get less mean :smile:
  • musiclady420
    musiclady420 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Muscle can weigh a lot more than fat because it has a denser fiber. Your muscles are kind of built like an orange where you have multiple layers (I am a massage therapist with over 720Credit hours in anatomy and everything else to do with the body). So, these guys have a big job to do because everyday they are competing against gravity therefore they must have more cells than a fat cell which is just there for storage. So, think of a balloon in comparison to a support beam in a building. Which would have to be stronger and which one is heavier. This kind of goes back to basic physics. You have probably now entered into a healthy fat content and because you are feeding you body a bunch of good muscle building stuff combined with muscle building exercise. So, of course your muscles are going to get bigger and so is the weight. I would try another scale or two, take the numbers from those weights taken, and divide them to get a more acurate weight. There is a probability that the scale is broken or got off somehow.

Good Luck:happy:
  • Kvanstrom
    Options
    I did just look it up, and it says that if a scale sits in a colder temperature for a long time, it will be incredibly inaccurate. I used my scale at work, and it probably gets 40-50 degrees in here at night.

Panic mode ending....
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Yeah - especially after an amazing week at the gym - i feel extra small but i have a little extra weight while my muscles are in recovery :D
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Scales are EVIL. THere are a lot of things that can dramatically affect your weight from week to week: salt intake, water intake, if you travel, hormone activity, etc. etc. etc.

Wait a week, and see what happens.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself 2 days after I ran a half marathon and weighed 4 lbs more than the day before. Water weight and just still swollen, I was back down to that weight 3 days later. Scales are really mean. Sometimes they tease you with a number you haven't seen in a long time and other times they do just the opposite. I'm usually cussing at mine because it hasn't moved but my measurements have changed.
  • sun1000000shine
    sun1000000shine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Weigh in at the same time & place every morning, and whatever the number, it will still let you know how much you gained or lost :)