Getting enough iron?

Options
I've only been doing this a few days, but it looks like I can't possibly get the recommended amount of iron and calcium from the recommended amount of calories. The math doesn't seem like it could ever work. And yes, I love kale, spinach, whole grains, greek yogurt, chicken, etc. Is it a foregone conclusion that I have to eat more and therefore exercise a lot more to make up for it?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating?
  • osski
    osski Posts: 4
    Options
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get enough iron on 1200 either. I didn't really start getting there until I got up to 1,500.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get enough iron on 1200 either. I didn't really start getting there until I got up to 1,500.

There you go
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that most foods on MFP don't have the micronutrients listed, so they show up as 0.

Go plug a typical day's diet into nutritiondata.com, that will tell you where you are with your micros. If you're still deficient, and you don't think you can fix the issue with your diet, calcium and iron supplements are cheap and widely available.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any beef or pork and stick to chicken, turkey and seafood. I eat a lot of greens, broccoli is high in Iron so is spinach. I've been told if you have an orange after consuming iron, it helps absorb. First time in 4 years I got my iron checked and it wasn't low was 3 months ago because I upped my veggie intake. Good luck!
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Great question--and really looking forward to what others have to add because I'm in the same boat. I don't like milk, I don't like eggs, and I don't really eat meat. I'm meh about yogurt. I'm always under on iron and calcium--I'm not too worried about it , but if others have tips I'd incorporate more of the suggested foods.
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    try taking a prenatal vitamin.. that works for me. that way if i don't get enough iron when eating, i know i have enough through the vitamin
  • osski
    Options
    Based on the responses, I'll stop spending time trying to build a low calorie iron menu and just get moving so I can eat more... since I am lucky enough to love iron rich foods. In the meantime, I'll also add a supplement... I just really hate taking pills and don't usually stick to it. Thanks everyone!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Based on the responses, I'll stop spending time trying to build a low calorie iron menu and just get moving so I can eat more... since I am lucky enough to love iron rich foods. In the meantime, I'll also add a supplement... I just really hate taking pills and don't usually stick to it. Thanks everyone!

Get you bloodwork done. Your doctor will tell you if you're low on iron.
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Just eat a bowl of Total for breakfast (I do every morning). It has 100% of daily iron, and 11 other nutrients. With skim milk it's only 140 cal.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Just eat a bowl of Total for breakfast (I do every morning). It has 100% of daily iron, and 11 other nutrients. With skim milk it's only 140 cal.

Great tip.
  • osski
    Options
    Yes good tip. Thanks!