Best non-cardio workouts

Options
I am dysautonimic (POTs, NCS) so just about any cardio is a no-no for me besides swimming (I'm honestly not sure why this is - but I've never had a single problem while swimming). Unfortunately, I do not have access to a pool. I have a lot of weight to lose, but I am young and don't have a problem with motivation, so I'm confident I can do this without the cardio, though I'm sure it will take longer. I've also had 'episodes' bending / lifting from an upright position.

What are some personal favorite non-cardio workouts? My goal is to burn ~200 calories per day when I have the time for longer exercises, and 50-100 on days when I don't have as much time to work out. I've been looking at this:

http://kayciesantics.blogspot.com/2012/03/300-ultimate-ab-and-core-challenge_22.html (ab ripper x - type blog)

but I doubt it's enough to achieve what I'm hoping to.

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to create a 50-200 cal deficit per day, just eat less. I would also recommend figuring out how to get some kind of full body resistance training in for the preservation of muscle tissue. I am not familiar with your condition to know what your limits would be.
  • DallyLolli
    DallyLolli Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to create a 50-200 cal deficit per day, just eat less. I would also recommend figuring out how to get some kind of full body resistance training in for the preservation of muscle tissue. I am not familiar with your condition to know what your limits would be.

I am currently only eating ~1200 calories a day, so eating less than that is not an option for me.

I ask this here because most advice, whether from other people or things you find online, involve cardio (for obvious reasons, as it delivers the best results for most people) but that is a known concrete limitation of mine. My other limits I can work with or around, and I'm sure I will discover a few on the way. So, without regards to my condition, I would like suggestions for exercises that others have had experience with that are not based on cardio. From there I can learn. :)
  • drbaska
    drbaska Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would look at the Les Mills Pump workout. It's barbell training, but absolutely no cardio. And building muscle will help you burn fat, increase your metabolism, and just make you strong and healthy.. I have a sample of the Pump workout on my youtube channel if you're interested in seeing it. :-)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, bench press, pull-ups, rows. 3-5 sets, 5-10 reps per set.

Go.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I would look at the Les Mills Pump workout. It's barbell training, but absolutely no cardio.

Sorry, you have that backwards. Body Pump IS much more a cardio workout than it is weightlifting.

OP - I'd look into a good lifting program that is within the limits of your condition.