I suck at it

Options
How do I stay consistent to workout at least five days a week I want to and I only end up doing two or three days if im lucky I dont know how to stay motivated please help.

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    No one here can/will give you the motivation you have to find for yourself. If you can only do 3 days a week, do that and KILL IT at the gym. Once you get to a point where that isn't enough, you can add a day or two. I go 6 days a week(a combo of my gym workout routine and crossfit classes) but that didn't happen overnight.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    aaarrrrrrr!
  • nasreenbaby
    Options
    Have you tried charting your progress? I find that lists or posters usually help me. You can make a motivation board and give yourself a goal or treat to work towards. Maybe cut out magazine pictures and make a collage ( to keep motivated) and when you have done a certain amount of consecutive work outs then treat yourself to a new item of clothing or something. You could even use gold stickers each time you complete a session and after so many stars you get a treat like eating out or going to watch a movie or even a work out dvd ( which is my treat to myself.)

Getting someone to help or join you is also very productive as you encourage each other and the time passes quicker when you have a buddy with you. Some friendly competition is also great and then you compete for who can gym the most or lose the most.

Hope some of this helps.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You just got to do it. I feel like crap when I don't reach my goals so that motivates me because if I go to the gym and do all the workouts I said I would then there is no reason that I caused to why I shouldn't reach my goals. I've done all I can do.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I stopped planning my off days. I just go everyday that I'm able to go right after work that way if I have to work late or something comes up, it's not a big deal. That's what worked best for me :)
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Practice makes perfect.
  • katanasnk
    katanasnk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer to this one! I think motivation and willpower and determination are words that are just used so much in weight loss... I have no motivation most days. I roll out of bed only because I have to go to work. To me, that's not motivation or determination because I sure as heck don't WANT to go to work. That's just accepting reality. Willpower I think is that momentary ability to do something that sucks (like roll out of bed or walk into the gym), but it's only good in small, fleeting doses: I WILL drive to the gym. I WILL walk through the door. (After that, all bets are off, but once I walk through the door, autopilot kicks in and I do work out).
    What I have going for me is sheer stubborn-ness. I decided that I was GOING to work out 5 days/week (New Year's Resolution) and I made it a rule for myself that it was just something I had to do, like work. It didn't matter if I liked it or hated it, it didn't matter if I was tired; if I went to work that day (i.e. not so sick I had to stay home), then I went to the gym too. Maybe that's determination to some people, but I already know I'm stubborn, so.... that's what has worked for me.
  • nasreenbaby
    Options
    Oh, I just remembered and I don't know if this is any help but when I am watching tv and an ad break comes on then I do jumping jacks till the show is back on. Every little bit helps, right?
  • psychwardmascot
    psychwardmascot Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat I think. I always mean to exercise, but I get distracted or forget. I guess what works best for me is when I walk places instead of driving. Trying to fit exercise into the day in little ways sounds like it might work, like taking the stairs instead of the elevator or something. And message me any time you need a pep talk :)
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    No one here can/will give you the motivation you have to find for yourself. If you can only do 3 days a week, do that and KILL IT at the gym. Once you get to a point where that isn't enough, you can add a day or two. I go 6 days a week(a combo of my gym workout routine and crossfit classes) but that didn't happen overnight.

Agree! I think once you kill it those three days, you'll evenutally want to get there more, and add a day or two when you're ready. The high you'll feel when your body starts changing will be motivation to get you there. This is coming from someone who has always HATED to work out...seriously hated it. I've been working out 5-6 days a week for the past 9 months and have found I can't do without it now. You'll get there!
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Find a buddy...When I worked out at the company gym I had a friend coming in 30 minutes earlier to workout with me. Knowing he was making an extra effort to be there made me go in and push myself on days I would stay in bed.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I go on my work lunch. Sitting in an office all day makes me want to stab myself in the eyes. I come in a half hour early or stay a half hour late to get my workout in. If I can't incorporate it during those hours, I go directly after work so I don't have any other choice.

When I was working closer to home, I would pack my gym bag the night before, wake up, go to the gym and then go to work. First thing in the AM works for a lot of people because it's out of the way.

I just love to workout. But with seeing how much more I'm able to eat after I put in my calories - I am even more motivated to get moving!!!
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I only do 3 days a week myself... I don't have the time for 5, and resting is as important - if not MORE important - than how hard you work in the gym for both weight loss and fitness.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    What helped me was spending my own money on a set of at home workout DVDs. I spent my own money and didn't want my purchase to go to waste so I stuck to the schedule that was laid out. Six days a week. Now I workout seven days a week just cuz I feel like it. I know a lot of people like to hate on BeachBody products but I like them. I am too freakin ADD and I need someone telling me what to do every step of the way. So this has worked well for me. I recommend P90X :)
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    How do I stay consistent to workout at least five days a week I want to and I only end up doing two or three days if im lucky I dont know how to stay motivated please help.

Count your blessings that you're doing 3 days a week. It's better than sitting on your butt cheeks and doing nothing!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Find someone to workout with that will hold you accountable.
  • Findingmyathlete
    Findingmyathlete Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oh, I just remembered and I don't know if this is any help but when I am watching tv and an ad break comes on then I do jumping jacks till the show is back on. Every little bit helps, right?

I like this because I think its true. Maybe plan to do 2-3 days going to the gym. Then on days when you don't go to the gym find a workout to do at home. Walk around the block, various exercises in between commercials at home, a 15 minute tabata workout and be done, something like that.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Just do it!! Do it as much as you can and do it over a long term. If you average working out three times a week for a year then that is great. Some weeks you will work out 3 times and others 4, 5, 6 or 7. Try and set small goals for yourself like last week I worked out 3 times, this week 4. Or for me I set monthly goals like I am going to work out 90% of the days this month. BTW - I can tell you that since I have been using MFP (~ 7 months) there are weeks when I have worked out only 3 times a week but there are weeks when I worked out 7 times. On average it has been 4-5 times a week. Note I am using the term work out rather than go to the gym because you do not have to always go to the gym to work out. For me there are times when I don't feel like going to the gym so I take a long walk around the neighborhood (typically a bit more than a mile), do situps or use the treadmill at home. That s a lot of rambling, hope it helps.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Mix it up a bit! I do a combination of gym on my own, and sometimes just do cardio, sometimes weights/squats/lunges and cardio, plus I have personal training sessions, do spinning, aerobics and zumba. It stops me from getting bored.

I also find that once I'm at the gym i'm fine and enjoy it. Get some good music on your ipod, and get on with it :smile: It soon becomes habit.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

Come join us: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/808641-daily-exercise-journal-december

A group of us have been tracking daily exercise for several months with a common goal of 5 or 6 days a week. Everyone does their own thing, but it is motivating to post our efforts together.

Want to see what we did on Nov? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/782477-daily-exercise-journal-november?page=11#posts-12104298