Treadmill vs running outdoors

Options
I know this has been been debated alot on this site but I just read this article in mens health, I dont know if it is mental but for me running outdoors is alot harder than the treadmill.

See article titled "how the treadmill is killing your workout"

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201211/how-treadmill-killing-your-workout

What do you think?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Running outside is definitely harder, but it's also much more exhilerating and enjoyable.

I can go further faster on a treadmill, but it gets boring.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    For me the treadmill kills me!! i hate it it feels like it takes 10x longer. I only run on the treadmill when i have to.
  • tacmike
    tacmike Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    From years of running (not too much recently mind you) my instincts and my body tell me that the outdoor, or true running vs treadmill is harder. And even further, I prefer off pavement or trail running. My knees don't hurt near as much and I feel like the additional muscles used for stabilizing make for a better experience. Tread mills are a great to have in the ol' bag of tricks. Most important what do you enjoy most that meets your goals.

Just my thoughts, my experience is novice.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    hmmm, I find treadmill workouts to be much easier than outdoors. I put my treadmill on a 3% incline, but it's still terribly different from outside. Granted, I do run on rolling outdoor trails with rocks, but even the pavement feels more difficult.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Boredom, lack of airflow, and running at one constant pace is just torture for me. I run better and faster outside, with seemingly less effort.
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    The only time I run on a treadmill is if I'm in a hotel and don't feel comfortable running outside (like when I was in Mexico). Not only do I find it extremely boring, it hurts my knees. I'd rather run in the cold/rain/heat/whatever.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    To get closer to mimicking your efforts outdoors, set your treadmill to 0.5% incline. That is the baseline.

Treadmill has its place - it is great for interval workouts when the weather is nasty outside and/or you don't have easy access to a track. However, the fact that the belt moves takes away some of the work that your hamstrings would have to do while road running, so it is recommended that you try to mix up treadmill running with outdoor runs.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running on the dreadmill is very different than running outdoors. While the article specifically referred to running trails (which is very different than running on a reasonably smooth paved surface) I think they hit the nail on the head.

Not to mention, I find the treadmill exceeding tedious (it's handy to have when there's freezing rain etc and is very useful for drying towels.)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm a numbers person... I've enjoyed testing my 5k time on the treadmill before. Now that I have my Polar HRM and can look at numbers and be happy, I much prefer running outside. I can pretend the ground is lava between certain streets and sprint past them to save my life (somehow).
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I just CAN'T use a treadmill. Sometimes it's useful for intervals because then I know how fast I'm going, but other than that, I just can't do it mentally.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill, and for that matter the elliptical and the stationary bike. Much harder mentally, and more uncomfortable physically no matter how I adjust things. I won't use one except during a long stretch of bad weather, when I can't exercise outside, and 20-30 minutes is about all I can stand. I'll take outdoors whenever possible. Fresh air, varied terrain, and quiet time to think.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Running on the dreadmill is very different than running outdoors.

"Dreadmill." Amen, brother.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Dreadmill is horrible. Outdoor running >>>Dreadmill

Always.
  • rachjenn
    Options
    I agree with the responses above! I only use my treadmill in bad circumstances ie snow. I find it very boring. Not long ago I did just over a mile but it seemed like my usual (3) Found I wanted to stop more.

It's very green where I live which is nice. Plus there seems to be a lot of runners about, which pushes me not to stop.

Rach
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I hate the cardio machines (treadmill, eliptical & bike). So tedious and boring. However, since daylight savings time ended, to get a workweek run in, I need to use the treadmill. I'll get myself killed on the tree root filled sidewalks and nasty intersections near my home if I run at night. Once we get snow (YUCK) I'll need to use it even more if the sidewalks are thoroughly cleared. I am hoping the outdoor track near my home is cleared well of snow. I find the track almost too easy, but at least it is outside and running on the ground not a moving belt.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I find running outdoors much easier. But, I'm in Houston and can run outdoors year round.
  • RagenGBrown
    Options
    Running outside was a lot harder for me as well. The treadmill helps keep your legs moving. However, now that I run outside, when I tried the treadmill the other night I did worse! lol It's just what your body gets used to. I'm still however saving $ for a treadmill because when its nasty outside I don't want to miss my run!
  • jhall585
    Options
    For me the treadmill kills me!! i hate it it feels like it takes 10x longer. I only run on the treadmill when i have to.

I bounce around like an a-hole on the treadmill. Running outside and actually getting somewhere is the best.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Training outdoors is better for me. I take bootcamp classes in the cold outdoors, even in the winter and we get a lot of snow and frigid weather. We run a lot to keep warm.

A friend of mine did a 10K outdoors after training for months on the treadmill... her 10K time was terrible compared to her treadmill time. She felt tired faster in the 10K outdoor run too.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Queue the Lewis Black bit about health clubs...