C Section Moms

Options
I am 4 weeks post op. I had surgi strips rather than staples and they are still hanging on. Was wondering when you ladies with c sections started working out. I want to do zumba, but I know it's a lot of hip and abdomen moving and shaking. I really want to start, but am reading online 6-8 w seeks. My postnatal appointment is not for another several weeks. I feel fine. What are you guys' experience with working out after c-section?

Replies

• Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Do not do Zumba for at least 8 weeks.

My first child was a C-section and I did too much too soon. After a while (few months) I started getting horrible pains in my stomach around the incision point. My dr said it was nothing and to not worry about it. When my daughter turned a year old I got pregnant again. The pains got worse during the pregnancy. My OBGYN again said it was nothing and not to worry about it.

After my son's birth I went in for a tubal and when he got in there they found massive scar tissue which was causing all the pain. My tubal was supposed to take 15 minutes, it took well over an hour because they had to remove that scar tissue. The doc said it was the worst scarring he's ever seen.

Trust me, you DON'T want that to happen! If you want to get back into exercise put the baby in the stroller and go for walks. It's the best way to ease back into it.
  • Mwaries88
    Mwaries88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My doctor told constantly told me not to exercise until after 6-8 weeks.
    So I listened, and I'm glad I did. A friend of mine started doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred after 6 weeks post c section and somehow tore her stitches open.

I did p90x 8 weeks after I had my son and had no problems! I made sure to be very careful with the ab exercises though.
  • eandrsmom
    Options
    Definitely wait for your doc to clear you at your post op appointment. You have lots of layers to heal, and some take longer than others. It's great that you feel so motivated though. I was so flipping sleep deprived after both I couldn't do anything more than walk, or more accurately stumble some days. :) Personally I was very tentative doing anything ab related for a very long time,but I have FINALLY gotten rid of the c-section pooch! :):):)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Glad yours went well--my scar is still numb 2.5 years later and I could barely move for the first couple of weeks. You get 8 weeks with a C-section vs. 6 weeks with vaginal birth for a reason: you just had MAJOR abdominal surgery. Please listen to your doctor and wait.
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wait as long as possible. If you must work out then get some light weights and do some bicep curls or talk walks. It really isnt worth it in the long run!
  • LAMypie
    LAMypie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree with Shua. Start with walking. It shouldn't cause any problems this late (I had a lot of issues with bleeding after my son, although vaginal, because I was too active), but anything more would be too much risk of internal tearing like she had. I too applaud you for feeling motivated already. I was the opposite. If I'd had your motivation, I wouldn't have gotten to over 300 lbs to begin with. I was already over 200 when I got pregnant with my twins, and that's when I had my C-section. I was so terrified of tearing something, I wasn't going to move a muscle until the doc told me I could. Congrats on the baby, and good luck!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    DO NOT attempt any physical activity until you have been explicitly told by your doctor that it is okay to do so. A c-section is a major abdominal surgery. Though the skin may look healed, the muscle takes longer. You could do permanent damage.
  • DzzyButterfly
    DzzyButterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please wait for your doctor's approval and at LEAST 8 weeks!

My first was a c-section @29wks gestation and the only "exercise" I did was driving to the hospital and walking from the parking lot into the hospital and down long hallways. When I had my second (full term) my cramping was AWFUL and when I went in for my planned c-section my doctor cleaned out a ton of scar tissue and did not understand why I didn't RUPTURE with my second. Very scary stuff!

You need to heal fully. Take this time to snuggle with your new little one and allow your body to recover. :)

Congratulations on the birth! :)
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started walking at a slow pace about 4 wks. post. The first week I didn't walk more than 20 minutes per day. By 8 wks. I was walking at a moderate pace 45 minutes per day. I didn't do anything besides walk until I was cleared at 8 wks. As good as you're feeling, please wait for that post-op follow up. Walking is okay, but WAIT on anything else.

Congrats on the arrival of your little peanut!
  • Ib220
    Ib220 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started exercising after 2 months. Do not do any stomach exercises just yet!! It hurt so much when I did. Start with just legs or arms. I'm 4 month postpartum and I still can't do a crunch (not from pain but my stomach muscles got Extremely weak).
  • wonderwomn27
    wonderwomn27 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    HELLO, I 2 JUST HAD A BABY 1 MONTH AGO. I STARTED DOING STAIRS AND THE ELIPTICAL. I WOULD ONLY DO A LIGHT ZUMBA,BECAUSE INSIDE OF OUR INCESION ITS STILL HEALING...U DONT WAT TO WORK OUT TO HARD THEN REGRET IT AFTER WARDS,THEN HAVE TO WAIT CAUSE U MESSED UP SOMETHING. I JUST STARTED GOING BACK TO THE GYM LAST WEEK,BUT IM NOT DOING ANYTHING TO STRESSFUL... HOPE THAT HELPS... GOOD LUCK!!!
  • bethf1977
    Options
    I wouldn't do any for 8 weeks. I tore my incision open rolling over in bed.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! i have been walking with stroller and will stick to that! definitely do not want to set healing back or tear anything. thanks again!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with 8 weeks! I behaved myself after my first c-section, not so much after the second... it was hard with a four year old, etc. My recovery was SO much longer and suckier because of that. It's hard to wait, but wait.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Please listen to your doctor...I had a c-sec almost 15 years ago...did too much, too soon hefting around a 10 lb baby...went back to work too soon...developed scar tissue that doubled me over so I walked like an old woman.

Fast forward...developed girlie issues after menopause, due to my obesity, in for a D & C...18 months later, another one AND doc advised a total hysterectomy and loss of 50-70 lbs...so I joined MFP, had my surgery listened to the doc and did not exercise until 6 weeks post op and today I feel like a new woman! 65 lbs lighter...no belly aches, I walk straight and feel amazing...

Docs go to med school for a reason! When he releases you, start slow and work up...you will not regret it!