First Race in 36 Hours!

Options
Okay, I am running my first 5k in a day and half. I am mildly (read seriouslyyyy) freaking out about it. It's been raining nonstop here, and my asthma is flaring up. I have been swamped in school projects, papers and finals. My girls have had 869502867 school functions to attend and I've eaten like crap at most (hence my ticker).

Basically, I am totally unprepared. I was doing c25k, but I got sidetracked. I have only run about 5 times in the last 3 weeks. I'm not going to back out even though my parents and husband suggested that I do so, but I don't know what I should do? How does one just "pace yourself?" What if I end up walking most of it because my trusty little albuterol fails me? I am so anxious and kicking myself for not running more frequently.

I've read several of the past forum posts about pre-race jitters, and I will use some of the tips from there, but now I'm wondering W.T.H. was I thinking? I mean I am 75 lbs over a healthy BMI :noway:

Replies

• zx0810r
    zx0810r Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Stressing over nothing. Just go out there and do it. Lets say you have to walk half of it even. It will be done in under 30 minutes and you finishing it will still be better than someone who never started.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! Pretty sure I will not be done in thirty minutes, but I'll just get it done nonetheless.
  • ZsaZsa70
    Options
    Doesnt matter when or how fast you finish just the fact that you were motivated enough to start and the fact that you will finish makes you a winner!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am running my first 5k in a day and half. I am mildly (read seriouslyyyy) freaking out about it. It's been raining nonstop here, and my asthma is flaring up. I have been swamped in school projects, papers and finals. My girls have had 869502867 school functions to attend and I've eaten like crap at most (hence my ticker).

Basically, I am totally unprepared. I was doing c25k, but I got sidetracked. I have only run about 5 times in the last 3 weeks. I'm not going to back out even though my parents and husband suggested that I do so, but I don't know what I should do? How does one just "pace yourself?" What if I end up walking most of it because my trusty little albuterol fails me? I am so anxious and kicking myself for not running more frequently.

I've read several of the past forum posts about pre-race jitters, and I will use some of the tips from there, but now I'm wondering W.T.H. was I thinking? I mean I am 75 lbs over a healthy BMI :noway:

run what you can - walk what you can't. don't get yourself worked up over it. it's supposed to be fun. seriously once you are there, all the excitement going on around you will give you a bit of an adrenaline rush and it will help with your run. also there are LOTS of people walk 5Ks. :) good luck and do the best you can do. crossing the finish line is the MOST IMPORTANT regardless of time.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! Racing is fun, even if you walk part of it - just being out there with the crowd and all the excitement is a blast. As for pacing yourself, just don't get caught up in the rush at the start. Stay towards the back of the pack - behind the gung-ho runners, but in front of the walkers if you want to start out at a run. Let people pass you - you will likely pass them later on!

Not sure if you've seen this topic about first race expectations and preparations, but maybe it will help answer some questions and remove some of your jitters: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

He covers everything from a 5k to a full marathon, and I found it VERY helpful before my first 5k last spring. :smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Even experienced runners get pre-race jitters.

Worst case scenario you walk part of the route, you've still covered 5K that people sitting at home watching TV haven't.

Do your best, don't go out too fast and have fun!
  • ThePinkPretzel
    Options
    i can completely relate! i started "running" on november 1 and was like okay to keep me motivated i am going to sign up for a thanksgiving 5k. just like you are saying, so many things came up! we had a snow storm that lasted for 3 days... literally non stop snow! it was like 30F outside every day, holiday party's, school things, you name it and i just didn't get a lot of running in.

so the morning of the race i find out that it is actually a 6k (which i didn't even kow exsisted) and it was mostly all uphill. it was up a fairly steep canyon that i'm definitely not familiar with.

i ran with one of my good friends, with has done half and full marathons so i thought that would help me stay motivated (it definitely didn't! her fast pace just made me feel terrible lol)

anyway, and the one mile mark (so close to half way done) i just turned around and ran back. I can't even tell you how ashamed and stupid i felt for turning round. i turned out because the whole 1st mile i kept telling myself this is too hard, i can't do it. everyone is going faster than me, i'm the only one walking, etc..... none of that was true. i let myself get WAY into my head (if you know what i mean) and gave up like a loser!! biggest mistake ever!!

long story short, haha, all i can say is go and do your best. who cares if you are last! who cares if you have to stop and walk 10 times! just go, be kind to yourself, adn try to do whatever is going to make you feel the most proud when the race is over! it is a huge accomplishment to even sign up and show up! it is intimidating and overwhelming to say the least!

have fun and enjoy the experience!!!!!!!!!♥
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!

What's the worse case scenario - you walk a little? No worries ~ you're still moving and exercising. It's just another training day with more people.

The cool thing about races - you get to run with all ages, shapes and sizes. Now that's motivating!

Maybe someone beside you is thinking "wow that cute lady over there - she is so dang motivating" I need to do MORE! You never know how you will impact other people - POSITIVELY- How cool is that!

Quiet down up there with your negative thoughts - YOU GOT THIS!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm going my first 5k on dec 31. I already know that I won't run the whole thing. I'm planning on walking part of it. I've just started week 5 of C25K, but I have to repeat weeks... My plan is to run when i can, walk when I have to, and run again. Repeat until I finish. I know I can walk 5k easily - any running I can do will just be a bonus.

You can do this. Walk if you have to. But do it - you'll feel so much better if you do!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're a bit under prepared but honestly you can do anything for 20-30 minutes, right? Go kill it!
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Just do it. I am over 130 pounds overweight and have completed many 5ks. I say just commit to a schedule. Maybe run 2 minutes walk 1 minute and keep doing it over and over and over. I was excited when I just finished in under an hour. I walk bery slow when I do walk. Once you get this first one done, then sign up for another and train to beat your time. Then just keep doing it.

Most importantly don't give up before you have even started. Celebrate completing it. You can do it.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Go for it. Even experienced runners get pre-race jitters.

Worst case scenario you walk part of the route, you've still covered 5K that people sitting at home watching TV haven't.

Do your best, don't go out too fast and have fun!

This right here. I needed to see this too because I plan to run my first 5k in January, even though my training runs came to a halt for the next three weeks because of my right knee. I'm a lil scared cuz I'll be doing this first race by myself BUT it's also going to prove to ME that I can do it because I have been against running my entire life. My bf and I are going to be training for a 1/2 marathon for March 17, too.

So....shake all that doubt off because YOU GOT THIS!!!!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you should seriously start putting more than 36 hours between your races. I think you should at least have 48-72 hours for recovery. Jus sayin
  • steviedrew1967
    Options
    Dead F**king Last beats Did Not Finish. Did Not Finish beats Did Not Start. Do it.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Dead F**king Last beats Did Not Finish. Did Not Finish beats Did Not Start. Do it.

Hear Hear!
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options

Hear Hear!

I second that!!!!! :drinker: