High calorie/protein diets

Options
Hi everyone! I am struggling to reach my goals a day. I have P90X2 and they recommend being on a 50% protein and 25% each for carbs and fat at 2400 calories. This is their "fat shredding" plan to get ripped. It has been really hard for me to get close to calories or half of the protein they want without me going over on carbs (by a lot). The carbs I eat are fruits and veggies so I don't know if thats better than breads since this website throws all carbs together.

Does anyone have this same nutrition goals as me? If so are you reaching your goals? What are good foods with a lot of protein, no carbs and high calories?

Thank you!!

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    What are good foods with a lot of protein, no carbs and high calories?

Meat.....
  • 916Crza
    Options
    LOL pretty obvious. I feel like I eat a lot already, should I just double up at meals?

What about Vegans? Where do they get their protein?

Thanks
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    LOL pretty obvious. I feel like I eat a lot already, should I just double up at meals?

Thanks

They eat meat when no one's looking.
  • luvworkinout
    luvworkinout Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know you were doing the veggie shake thing but are you also doing any sort of protein shake? They really can boost your protein percentage. I drink one every morning for breakfast with skim milk which also adds a bit of protein. Also you can add peanut butter or greek yogurt to it to boost it even more. Also snacks like nuts, string cheese, greek yogurt, tuna packets, protein bars etc.
  • 916Crza
    Options
    I know you were doing the veggie shake thing but are you also doing any sort of protein shake? They really can boost your protein percentage. I drink one every morning for breakfast with skim milk which also adds a bit of protein. Also you can add peanut butter or greek yogurt to it to boost it even more. Also snacks like nuts, string cheese, greek yogurt, tuna packets, protein bars etc.

Yeah I drink two protein shakes a day, they are veggie protein so they aren't as high in protein as a whey protein. The reason I stick with the veggie protein is because I ready it absorbs much better in your body, whey protein is wasted when your body doesn't absorb it. Another thing is you shouldn't take in more than 30g of protein per meal (body turns excess into fat). I'll add tuna and protein bars to my meals and see how that helps. I do eat a lot of almonds and peanuts a day, same with the greek yogurt.

Thanks again!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Yeah I drink two protein shakes a day, they are veggie protein so they aren't as high in protein as a whey protein. The reason I stick with the veggie protein is because I ready it absorbs much better in your body, whey protein is wasted when your body doesn't absorb it. Another thing is you shouldn't take in more than 30g of protein per meal (body turns excess into fat). I'll add tuna and protein bars to my meals and see how that helps. I do eat a lot of almonds and peanuts a day, same with the greek yogurt.

Thanks again!

Please do some more research as that is silly talk. Look at the BV of whey vs veggie protein and while there are pathways for protein to be stored as fat, it is very inefficient and unlikely to happen for most people
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    50% of 2400 cals = 1200 cals = 300g of protein a day.

Looks like you won't reach that without some supplements. I wonder if Tony Horton has any recommendations?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Thanks again!

Bioavailability of whey > plant based protein
    The 30g absorbtion is a myth
    Excess calories turn into fat not one specific macro or food.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Thanks

It's nearly impossible to get high protein/low carb vegan food. Vegans get protein from sources like beans and quinoi.
  • Acg67
    Options

Looks like you won't reach that without some supplements. I wonder if Tony Horton has any recommendations?

They have this, but this is only if you want to get bulky through bodybeast, only for the hardcore

baseshake_350x350.jpg
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

Of course his recommendation to EVERYTHING is to buy it. He probably has something you can buy, but you may have to buy the catalog and a number ticket to get a phone number you have to buy a prepaid phone for, then but Shipping and handling send it to them so they can charge you to buy something buy buy buy wtf
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

They have this, but this is only if you want to get bulky through bodybeast, only for the hardcore

baseshake_350x350.jpg

looks legit
  • Acg67
    Options

baseshake_350x350.jpg

looks legit

30 servings @ 18g of pro per for only $60 + shipping and guaranteed to get your ripped
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Thanks

I'm loling quite good now
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    50% protein is a bit extreme. Why not aim for 1g of protein per pound of LBM and call it a day?

40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein should be just fine.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Thanks

It's nearly impossible to get high protein/low carb vegan food. Vegans get protein from sources like beans and quinoi.

This ^

Meat is going to be the highest in protein for lowest carbs. I eat mostly vegetarian (I eat fish occasionally), and can manage about 40 carb/30 protein/30 fat. I rely a lot on dairy and eggs.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Thanks

How else do you explain that vegan powerlifter who can deadlift almost 600 pounds?
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Just look at some of your MFP friends diaries. I have seen some guys that eat over 200g of protein and get some ideas on how they do it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

How else do you explain that vegan powerlifter who can deadlift almost 600 pounds?

Maybe there were some white castles hidden near the chalk.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

Thanks again!

Please do some more research as that is silly talk. Look at the BV of whey vs veggie protein and while there are pathways for protein to be stored as fat, it is very inefficient and unlikely to happen for most people

This. Even if you only absorb X amount per sitting, the rest stays in your blood as protein to be used after X is used. There are plenty of people who fast such that they eat all their calories in one meal or a short window and they are able to meet their protein needs because what the OP said is just a myth that has been spread pervasively.