Polar FT4 vs FT60

Options
Ok so I am looking into buying a HRM to calculate accurate calories burned. I have been looking on amazon and really want to make sure I get it right the first time.
I have an old school HRM but it doesnt tell me calories burned.
Any Opinions, suggestions?

Replies

• crystalhenry
    crystalhenry Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh and to add a note, I am aware the FT4 is half the cost of FT60, but is it worth spending the extra and get it right the first time?
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump! I've been wondering this myself
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I got the FT7, it was a better version of the FT4 and about 20 quid more. Worth it.
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bump. I have a old HRM that also doesn't tell me cals burned. I'm interested in a Polar too.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If you look at the Polar site, it helps you to choose the correct one. You can do comparisons and it shows you the differences. Only YOU can decide if the extra features are worth the extra cost for YOU.
    You could also look for used ones on eBay.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    They're both just as accurate. Unless you specifically need the advanced features of the FT60 you're better off just getting the FT4.
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just ordered an FT7 from Amazon yesterday. Should have it by Monday and can't wait to see how much I actually burn!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'd say the FT4 is fine for probably 90% of people. Up to you, depends on what you want to spend.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    You're paying the extra for features- not accuracy. Coaching programmes, fitness tests etc.
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    One thing I forgot to mention before on the news feed... The WearLink strap that comes with the Polar watches these days is CRAP! Both my boyfriend and I have had problems with it quitting working after 2-4 months of use. It is nice because it's more comfortable and you can change the battery yourself -- if it worked it would be perfect!

The regular T31 coded transmitter is the way to go:

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-T31-Coded-Transmitter-Belt/dp/B000ARDPPU/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1354299939&sr=1-2&keywords=polar+t31

It is $40 extra but necessary... The WearLink might be a little more comfortable but the regular one lasts forever.

ETA... this may just be a unique problem with the HRMs we bought... but I did see a lot of things online in the amazon reviews about other people having similar problems. It may depend on the type of exercise you do.
  • crystalhenry
    Options
    Hey Jess that is the one I have but it doesnt count calories and I hate the hard band....hmmm.

Thanks everyone for the help....keep it coming if you have anymore opinions. I am looking into it right now!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I just bought the ft60, I think the only difference is you can set up a workout plan and it tells you how many hours a week you need to work out to achieve it.
  • crystalhenry
    Options
    OK- Im just gonna order the FT4, it seems like a lot of people on here are happy with it!
    Thanks ya'll!
  • QueenofComeBacks
    QueenofComeBacks Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I ORDER FT4 DURING MONDAY CYBER SALES JUST GOT IT TODAY AND WORKING VERY WELL.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I just got in my FT4 about a week ago, have used it three times so far and enjoyed it (once I figured out how to get the chest strap to stay... have to tuck it under the shelf bra of my workout top). Only sort of wish it had a pedometer or 'distance' sort of option. Otherwise it's great.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    ^ ah good point, the ft60 can use the gps attachment (it's like $150 though) or foot pod ($130) but it can track mph and distance. I just use my fitbit at the same time for distance right now
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This may be too late, but I'll give my opinion anyhow. I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, there is no question that the FT60 (or the FT40 for that matter) is more accurate than the FT4--if for no other reason than the FT series products allow the user to manually enter VO2 max. (I don't know if they have different algorithms).

On the other hand, HRMs give only general estimates of calorie burning under the best of circumstances, so I would never recommend that someone purchase one solely for that reason. And if you don't know how to assess your VO2 max, then it might not make any difference anyhow.