healthy snacks--need your input!

Options
So, my net calorie goal is 1200 cals, but I've been getting a lot of exercise lately and many days I end up needing to consume 2,000 or more calories/day in order to keep my net cals at 1200. My problem is that I'm running out of ideas for healthy snacks. Fruits and veggies are a no brainer, and I do eat plenty of them, but I can't eat too many more/day because of some gastrointestinal sensitivies I have. So...what's your favorite healthy snack?

Replies

• tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter or nuts are good healthy, high calorie snacks to help you get you to your net of 1,200.

Edit: typos
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs
  • S_Delbridge
    Options
    fruit and nut nature valley granola bars YUMMM & 140 Calories
    frozen yogurt
    peanut butter on 1 slice of wheat toast w half a banana (:
  • YuriBodrov
    Options
    egg white salads, tuna sandwiches, fruit, low fat everything lol
  • Rasins, dried fruit and nut mix, special k protein meal bars are great I like the Strawberry and the Chocolate peanutbutter, popcorn...:)
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter or Nutella w/ banana
    Almonds (or any kind of nut)
    Beef jerky
    Hard boiled eggs
    Yogurt
    Hmmmm...just noticed they all include protein :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    almonds (or whatever nuts you like)
    any sort of fruit
    hard boiled eggs
    celery and peanut butter
    apple and PB
    banana and PB (sense a theme here???)
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky
    Yogurt mixed with PB2
    Broccoli mixed with your favorite hummus
    cottage cheese with hot sauce or mixed with pesto (some people prefer it sweet with fruit, I don't)
    The Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie guacamole packs with carrots
    almonds
    Protein powder
    Wasabi Peas
    Larabars
  • jackems
    jackems Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and breakfast cereal (sans milk) are my favorite snacks. Yogurt is great, because you could eat it plain or, if you need more to add more calories, you could easily load it up with your preferred mix-ins, such as honey, granola, fruits, PB... basically anything. Clif bars and larabars are good too. I've also seen recipes to make your own granola/ protein bars online, which would be a cheaper, more convenient version.
  • bfcano
    bfcano Posts: 19
    Options
    I've recently gone mostly paleo....

Apple & almond butter - justin's brand sells single serving packets which are perfect for on the go.
    Almonds
    Hazelnuts
    Fruits of any kind
    Beef Jerky
    Larabar
    Somersaults - these have wheat flour so they're not paleo but still delicious. I'm addicted to the cinnamon crunch flavor which tastes like cinnamon toast crunch but is way healthier.
    Carrot sticks & peanut butter - I know it's weird but it's oddly good.
    Dark Chocolate
    Hard Boiled Eggs
    Chicken Salad with 1TBSP raisin or currents & a homemade tahini lemon dressing
    Kale Chips
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    For adding up calories... almonds, hazelnuts, peanut butter, cheddar cheese, dark chocolate, sunflower seeds, chocolate oat milk.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Ice creammmm
  • Gemz321
    Options
    I quite like low fat humous with some celery, fruit, lemon moose, snack a jacks, cup a soup, egg white omelete. It depends what I fancy and how hungry I am.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    bananas
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    laughing cow with melba toast, string cheese, balance or luna bars, single serving packs of nuts (i can't keep the big bags in my house without going overboard), turkey lunch meat wrapped up in a slice of cheese, whole wheat 100 cal tortilla with red pepper hummus spread, and sometimes I drink chocolate Shakeology or a homemade spinach and berry protein smoothie

And the best dark chocolate i can find: 2 squares with a fabulous glass of wine once or twice per week is what keeps me sane!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    String cheese, chocolite protein bars, yogurt, pretzels....
  • alideni
    alideni Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Here are some good ideas for healthy snacks ...

http://greatist.com/health/88-unexpected-snacks-under-100-calories/
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Casein Ice Cream
    Almonds
    Protein Brownies
    Protein Muffins

BTW... 1200 calories is really low, especially if you are exercising a lot. I was at 1500 and my metabolism stalled with my workout regimen. Make sure you balance it all out :)
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    1 cup frozen banana, 2 scoops whey, 3/4 cup Fiber One 80 cals....all blended together...soooo good

Oatmeal, raisin mini box, yogurt

Bagel/toast and Pb2

Clif Bar (blueberry crisp, peppermint stick, black cherry almond, oatmeal raisin walnut)

1 cup shredded wheat mixed in yogurt or pudding

Arctic Zero

Tuna on toast/english with avacado
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    So, my net calorie goal is 1200 cals, but I've been getting a lot of exercise lately and many days I end up needing to consume 2,000 or more calories/day in order to keep my net cals at 1200. My problem is that I'm running out of ideas for healthy snacks. Fruits and veggies are a no brainer, and I do eat plenty of them, but I can't eat too many more/day because of some gastrointestinal sensitivies I have. So...what's your favorite healthy snack?

meh i dont eat back exercise cals. I just eat my 1200 and thats it!!