Substitute for Noodles?

Options
RhineDHP
RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
Ok, ever since I was a little child I've been addicted to noodles of all kinds, especially ramen. I realize that, though eating ramen everyday isn't that bad calorie-wise, the sodium content (even though I don't drink the broth) is always wayyy too much. Well that and the whole lack of nutrition thing, heh. But I find myself always craving the texture of noodles (and specifically the nongshim spicy picante bowl flavor) basically everyday.

I tried the tofu shirataki noodles, but I dunno....they taste kind of rubbery to me. That and if you don't rinse and parboil them thoroughly, man oh man do they stink!

I heard that "true" shirataki noodles don't have the same texture as the tofu ones but I have yet to find them anywhere near me. I heard somewhere that people make "noodles" out of vegetables or other products, so I was wondering if that was a route to go, and if that satisfied people's cravings.

That is my main question. But I guess I'd also like some suggestions to make a bowl or noodles with a spicy flavor that isn't like 1800 g of sodium for half a bowl!

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I have found that shredded cabbage works well under spaghetti sauce very nicely. I cook the cabbage just until it's firm but cooked, al dente if you will. lol
  • eckabad
    Options
    spaghetti squash. :)
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You could eat the ramen or rice noodles but instead of using the enclosed flavor package, experiment with your own spices/fresh herbs?
  • annsies
    annsies Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash!
  • ukstarlight05
    Options
    You can make "noodles" from zucchini, and this dish is gluten free!

6 zucchini (small)
    2 teaspoons salt
    3 tablespoons margarine 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
    salt and black pepper to taste
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
    1. Cut zucchini into thin, noodle-like strips (a mandoline works well for this). Toss with the 2 teaspoons salt, and place in a colander to drain for 30 minutes.
    2. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add zucchini; cook for one minute. Drain; rinse immediately with cold water to stop cooking.
    3. Heat margarine in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add zucchini and garlic; cook and stir until just tender, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-noodles-2/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=zucchini noodles&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page
  • axelorate
    axelorate Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Nevermind.. I totally did not read your post.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Just discovered spaghetti sqaush. Looks (and tastes, to me) just like spaghetti, and works great with sauce. I haven't tried it in a soup yet. Mine was really crunchy though, so the texture is different. Could've been that I didn't cook it right though.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is actually quite derishish.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    You can still eat ramen, just use half the flavor packet. It reduces the calories and sodium content. Just saying
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Try regular or whole wheat spaghettini or "angel hair" pasta. Watch your portions, though, as it can be high in calories.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    spaghetti squash
    or toffi noddles less calories and works well (Shirataki noddles). They come in fettucci, angel and spaghetti. Give them a try
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Soba noodles are delicious and made of buckwheat, you can try them. They are healthy and gluten free.
    Or you can make zucchini or carrot spaghetti with a julian vegetable peeler.
  • bfcano
    bfcano Posts: 19
    Options
    I agree with everyone on the Spaghetti Squash.
    I also think that Zucchini Noodles have a very similar texture. You can get a tool called a julienne peeler which is great for zuchinni noodles & also for carrot shreds. And very inexpensive, I think I got mine at Kitchen Kaboodle for $10.
    Also I recently tried some Quinoa Ancient Harvest spaghetti from Safeway which has 6g of protein per serving (reg is about 3-4g) & is gluten free. I have to say the texture was pretty good!