How to add my foods without having to search database

Options
Hi guys. I'm new here. I'm wondering if I have the nutritional information for a particular food, can't I just go in and enter that food, the calories, etc. without having to search? I went into MY FOODS and tried doing it but it's making me search the database and when I type in the food, it says it doesn't find it. Thanks and any help would be most appreciated!

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone you scan the UPC code on some items and all in the info pops right in...
  • catfish1962
    catfish1962 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, unfortunately I don't, but thanks for trying to help. Just seems there would be some place I could manually enter what I eat without having to search and use what they have in their database. :-(
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Nearest thing is Quick Tools > Quick Add Calories. You can't add any notes for it, though.
  • axelorate
    axelorate Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    After you do a search there is a sentence below your results that says, "Can't find what you're looking for?" and provides a button to add your own food.
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    After you have searched and logged your food, it will be added to your list of recent and frequent items. After that you can just pick from those lists. If you can't find it then it should prompt at the bottom of the screen while searching to add an item to database if you don't find it. Then you can add it with whatever information you have on the item. Hope that helps.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    When you search and it's not in there's an option at the bottom to add a food to the database. X
  • Jeyed
    Jeyed Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other comments, as time goes by, you will start to build your own personalized database of foods. These will end up being the foods you eat the most. (Unless you change what you're eating all the time.) For the most part I typically eat the same things on a weekly/bi-weekly basis and don't have to search the main food database too often anymore. I just pick off of my own list and change the portion size as needed.
    When you are using the main database, you want to ensure that what you're logging is indeed the correct information. Remember , the MFP food database was/is built by the users. So not everything is correct.
    Use the recipe builder too - it'll help take the guess work out of things if you have a tendency to make the same things for dinner, etc. Best of luck :smile:
  • catfish1962
    catfish1962 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.