240 lbs to 185 lbs in 6 months

Options
_jorge_
_jorge_ Posts: 28 Member
Hello All,

I've reached my goal weight (about 6 weeks ago ) and holding steady! I've signed up for a half-marathon in February and am using that as a new goal to replace weight loss (have to find ways to stay motivated!).

I went from 240 lbs and 39 inch waist to 185 lbs and a 31.5 inch waist. I set up small 5lb milestones and rewarded myself after every milestone. This way it felt like I lost 5 lbs, 11 times, instead of trying to lose 55 lbs. My original goal was to lose 40 lbs, but once I reached it, I set a new goal of size 32 pants. I also started out with small changes which led to results, which led to more and better changes. Started out giving up soda and I don't miss it at all! Now, I'm running 20 to 30 miles a week, strength-training 3 days a week, and yoga once a week. I feel great and am enjoying the random compliments (those are the best!).

Add me if you need any support or advice. I think the trick is to enjoy the journey as much if not more so than the destination.

Jorge

Replies

• terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Great Job! I think you are absolutely correct "the trick is to enjoy the journey as much if not more so than the destination". Keep up the good work.
  • triceever
    Options
    Congrats!!! Keep up the good work.
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    Nice work!!! What did you do to reward yourself for the 5lbs mini-goals? My husband is trying to lose weight. I was hoping to get some ideas that might help him. AWESOME WORK!!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I like those 5lb rewards..might have to consider that.
  • _jorge_
    _jorge_ Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @Goblynn: Ummmmmm, I rather not say.... :-) They were provided by my wife, you can use your imagination, but certain things are very powerful motivators for men. But that's not really the point. The point is to provide a framework of small reachable goals with rewards of escalating value that you value. This will be different for everyone. That is what got me up at 5 am to go run 6 miles on days when I wouldn't normally have the time to work out.

Once I reached my last goal and had maintained that weight for a month, I treated myself to a new large flatscreen TV and a new wardrobe of size 32 pants.
  • JackWilsonAZ
    Options
    Thanks for your insight on breaking it into 5 pound intermediate goals, that is something I had not thought about.:smile:
  • Mysticdi
    Mysticdi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    VERY intrigued now about rewards...LOL! I love this idea and I think I will add it to my overall goals! Add me....

Diane
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!