juicer recommendations?

Options
3foldchord
3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
I need to replace my juicer. I don't even remeber what kind it is. I got it at a garage sale for about $5- about 6 years ago...

So, what's new, better, the way to go- for juicers?

I read that massticating juicers are supposed to be really good.

and 'masticating' is a fun word to say....

What recommendations do you have for juicers? Anything to AVOID?

Replies

• oranb
    oranb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I got the omega 8004 last month from Bed Bath and Beyond. If you sign up for their e-newsletter, you get a coupon for 20% off, so the $260 juicer will cost you $208 plus tax.

It's a lovely masticating juicer and I use it once or twice a day everyday since I got it. Well worth the money. Also makes the most delicious all fruit sorbets from slightly thawed frozen bananas, watermelons, grapes, berries, etc.

You can watch videos of various juicers in action on youtube, but pay attention to the color of the juice that comes out...the centrifugal juicers (like the breville) produce slightly off color juice vs. the masticating juicers, so the type you get will affect the juice you make.

There's this hyper guy called "rawfoods" on youtube that supplies juicers and he has great comparison videos.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You should hit up more garage sales. A good juicer is going to run you $200 plus.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I would avoid them all
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have a juicer I inherited when my Mom passed away. I was trying to figure out what combos to put together. I was looking at recipes and most have spinach, kale, and fruit juice. I wanted to stay away from juice because it has so much sugar and no fiber.

Any suggestions?
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I make juices based on colour so green is kiwi spinach green apple and cucumber or celery. Orange is carrot orange ginger and an apple and I add grapefruit or lemon as I don't like my juice too sweet. Beetroot is my favourite vegetable to juice and it is so pretty too I add an apple some ginger and some lemon. Have a play I am sure that you will be very pleasantly surprised by the different flavours you can create and just make sure you are adding lots of veggies not just fruit to keep the sugar down.
  • Christylee76
    Christylee76 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My juicer is a Hamilton Beach that I bought off GMA when they do the deals and steals. It was around 50.00 and I love it!!
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    I ended with an Omega 8005 and LOVE it! It is a masticating juicer, that also grinds coffee beans or chicken breast, extrudes pasta, and makes frozen banana 'ice cream'.

I want to try beet root, I think.
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am looking between
    Green star GS-5000 $525
    Omega J8006 $282.

Green star has special technology that keeps more minerals in juice. Some amazing studies on how GS juice heals cancer and ulcers.

http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/green-star-green-power-juicers.html

http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/dr-waselus-green-star-test.html

There is also video on these two juicers compared if you want to watch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tf45nEWTdo

Still deciding, but leaning towards Green Star.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    I have an Omega. Love it! . Go to discount juicers.com (I think). I got my Omega 8005 for $200 I think.
    It juices, grinds chicken breast, is a pasta extrudes, and more.
    They will probably have the green star juicer at a god price, too.