Do you work out when you're sick?

Options
I used to always run when sick, and I found that it would take about a 3-4 weeks to get over a simple cold. Who here works out when sick? Do you keep your regular routine, modify, or play be ear? I need to get better asap because law school finals start on Tuesday. I CANNOT be sick for finals!

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    your body is taxed by working out. your body is also taxed when sick, from the cold, and worn down more easily because it is focusing on fighting off the infection. no reason to make the job harder by taking away energy to go to the gym.

take a break. let your body heal.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I worked out while sick and everything got worse. Finally had a doc knock some sense into me, stopped working out, and two days later...feeling better than ever felt before. Just stay hydrated, get sleep, fuel with food, and for now skip the exercise.
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    I think its a bad idea to work out when sick. First, you aren't able to give 100% effort towards your training. Second, your body is already trying to recover from whatever virus/bacteria you have, it doesn't make sense to add more recovery for it to handle. Third, it is really easy to spread whatever sickness you have in the gym etc.. don't want to make everyone else sick. Taking a break is just fine, your muscle won't fall off.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think its a bad idea to work out when sick. First, you aren't able to give 100% effort towards your training. Second, your body is already trying to recover from whatever virus/bacteria you have, it doesn't make sense to add more recovery for it to handle. Third, it is really easy to spread whatever sickness you have in the gym etc.. don't want to make everyone else sick. Taking a break is just fine, your muscle won't fall off.

I am going to disagree with you on this. I am currently fighting off an illness I caught from my 2 yr old. Sore throat and sinus infection. I did my training last night with a full blown cold and had my BEST numbers so far. I think it is a good idea to train when sick (depending on what it is). It gets the blood flowing. Fortunately I can do my training in my garage, so I don't have to worry about others catching it.

Everyone has their own opinion though. Do what you see fit.
    Just my 2 pennies!
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    id play it by ear.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Above the neck, yes. Below the neck, no. Fever, no.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yes, also ran a marathon with bronchitis...about coughed up my lung
  • Kcerka62
    Options
    I am prone to migraines, and although the only thing I want to do is sit in a darkened rrom, I have found that doing cardio will help alleviate the pain faster.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Yes, also ran a marathon with bronchitis...about coughed up my lung

Hardcore!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm sick with. Minor cold I will still workout but scale it back.
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm fighting off a cold too... I play it by ear each day. When I do workout, I'll do it at a lower intensity... If I take too many days off, its too hard for me to start again. :P (If I have a flu/fever... then no, no working out for me)
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    No.

I get really bad sinus infections. When that happens I sound like I am, well, dying. Nor can I breath with it too.

Even with slight stomach upsets or anything that makes me feel under the weather I will skip the gym for the day. u.i
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I still workout if the cold is not in my chest and if I am not stuffed up. If the cold travels to the lungs I stop working out. I found that a little jumping around doing a cardio workout actually helped loosen up the gunk...which was nice. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Colds are no fun.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't, I focus on getting well then get back (slowly) into exercising as I'm feeling better.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Above the neck, yes. Below the neck, no. Fever, no.

^ This. For me working out helps to clear everything out when it's just sinuses and minor sore throat and it makes me feel better, at least for a while. I don't go all out, but the activity works wonders.

Anything below the neck - ie body aches, stomach issues - rest until it's better.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Depends totally on how I'm feeling. I suggest you listen to your body and rest when you need to rest and push when you need to push. Feel better soon!
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No, it will take longer to get well if you use your limited energy on working out...frankly when you're sick, even climibing in and out of the tub can take a lot of energy. I was foolish before I would still push myself and it resulted in a worse and longer illness...which is an ovbious conclusion, but sometimes you just have to know. Sleep is a wonderful thing
  • rcolours7
    Options
    if you feel the need to exercise, ride the exercise bike or go for a walk. don't push yourself.

your body needs rest to heal.

your body also needs lots of fruits/veggies to fight the illness. the best are: blueberries, apples, bananas, sweet potato, broccoli, spinach & romaine lettuces, colored bell peppers, etc.

also, if you can limit milk product & orange juice intake that will help, especially if you have lots of mucus.

feel better soon, rest over the weekend and study for your law school finals. when finals are over, then get back to working out. please let us know how u think you did on your finals.

best wishes
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I try hard to listen to my body. If it truly needs more food (different from just wanting something to snack on), I feed it. If I'm sick, I lay off and get well, then get back at it. I hope you feel better soon and set the curve on your exams.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Depends on how sick. Sometimes I find that working out helps sweat out my sickness.