Making the jump from 1400 calories to almost 2000?! Yikes!!

Options
I started with MFP in September. To date I have lost 8 lbs and gained a few back. I am terrified to weigh in again, I am afraid to know what the scale says. After reading IPOARM (In place of a road map), I now realize that what was suggested for calories a day may have been hindering my progress. I am 5’6” and weigh 168 lbs. I have been eating just under 1400 calories a day (suggested by MFP) and using my Tread Climber for 45 minutes 3-5 times a week. Nothing is coming off. Time to rethink what I’ve been doing…right?

What I am terrified of is gaining. I have always struggled with my weight and based on my BRM it is 1546 and my TDEE is 2396. 20% less that the TDEE is 1917. So if I eat between 1900 and 2000 calories a day, I should start to lose….right?!

I know this is simple math, calories in vs. calories out. Am I the only one who doesn’t really believe this will work? You know the saying, if its too good to be true, it probably is? That’s kind of how I feel right now!

Replies

• AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    Don't be afraid, try it for a month. I would suggest using each of the coming months to decrease from 1900 until you find your ideal spot (1900 December, 1800 January, 1700 February, etc.)

I just increased mine & like many others, it was the best choice that I ever made. You have to add strength training or else you won't get any change! I've been doing cardio alone for 4 years with no changes. I added strength training a month ago, changed my diet, & I'm improving like crazy. Try it!
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I'd say try it. Keep in mind that you can gain while working out because it could be water weight or muscle. You might start measuring your inches instead of weight if measuring your weight can stress you. But I think its good to try because at least then you'll know.
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    I'd say try it. Keep in mind that you can gain while working out because it could be water weight or muscle. You might start measuring your inches instead of weight if measuring your weight can stress you. But I think its good to try because at least then you'll know.

This! Always measure inches, not weight. Many MFP users do not measure weight until after they've lost some clear inches, because muscle puts on more pounds than fat. Good luck, you'll be fine!
  • sunnygirl19
    sunnygirl19 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

This! Always measure inches, not weight. Many MFP users do not measure weight until after they've lost some clear inches, because muscle puts on more pounds than fat. Good luck, you'll be fine!

Thanks everyone! I am going to measure and continue every week or maybe every 2nd week.
  • Curvatures
    Options
    dooooo eeeet!

Good luck! :)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'd say make sure you have your numbers correct before upping your cals. Be prepared to gain.
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Have a read of this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience
    It will hopefully stop you from panicking.

Good luck with the calorie increase and enjoy it :)
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I just upped one from 1700 to 2000 on monday. I aim to NET that everyday. I'm a fairly active person, and I've lost over a pund already since Monday....so I'll be increasing again either next week or the week after!

Good luck! You really can eat a more than you think you can and still lose!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Have a read of this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience
    It will hopefully stop you from panicking.

Good luck with the calorie increase and enjoy it :)
    Thank you for posting this. I upped my calories a while back and Im rethinking it. I have printed to read later.