Vitamins make me sick

Options
Hello,

I have been having a problem with multivitamins. I have tried a few different brands, eating a full meal, on an empty stomach, with a glass of milk, but it always ends up with me curled in the fetal position, trying my hardest not to throw up. I know that taking them is healthy for you, and boosts your health, but I can't bring myself to do it anymore.

Anyone else with this problem that managed to fix it somehow?

Replies

• AliceRabbit13
    AliceRabbit13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Have you tried the vitamins you mix in water and drink? Also, I have had many patients switch to gummy vitamins or other children's vitamin because they are easier on the belly...
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    As long as you're a normal, healthy person, you don't need vitamins. Getting them from your food is far superior anyway (and cheaper!)
  • Madelinew22
    Options
    find one without iron, iron makes ur stomach turn,,, any gummy multi vitamin wont have iron
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Don't take them?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I agree that it sounds like you don't need them. We really can get our vitamins from food. If it makes you sick, why bother? Listen to your body.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I know Exactly what you are going through! I went through multivitamins from One A Day, Nature Made, Centrum, and a few others.

The best one I've found that I am now taking are the Flinstone Vita-Gummies. I'm taking the Immunity Support one. It doesn't have iron, but I'm wondering if that was what was making me sick. Either way, it's what I'm sticking with from now on.

I do take additional supplements - calcium, B-complex, omega, and I plan on taking potassium supplements.

It's a bit more than just being able to take one vitamin but it's that or end up being sick for half the day. :(
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    "Well, there's some value to taking a multi-vitamin but the human body can only absorb so much. What you're buying here are the ingredients for very expensive urine."
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!!!!! They make me feel NAUSEOUS!!! I can only handle the gummy vitamins. Try the one-a-day vitacraves, they are the only ones I can handle.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    First, you should be able to get your vitamins and nutrients from food, but if you cant.. and some cant.. then you need a multi.

SO, Same with me.. First, if you are taking some cheap off the shelf walmart or CVS vitamin.. they are JUNK and filled with CRAP anyway, so they are doing you probably more harm than good. If you cant get your doctor to prescribe you a GOOD multi, then get a good one from a wellness store, or from a place like Shaklee, where they are made from wholefoods.

Dont buy junk.. as they say, you get what you pay for!!

If you cant afford a better vitamin, dont take one. Look instead for vitamin packed foods and eat more of them! & if you still feel you need something extra, take a vitamin C tablet and a vitamin D over the winter months. They boost your immunity, your mental health and give you slight energy! Vitamin D also aids in weight loss. =)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Vitamins from a pill are not nearly as good as vitamins from food. A great way to get a concentrated dose of vitamins is to juice fresh vegetables. You can take more vegetables than you would ever want to eat, and run them through a juice extractor, and then throw in some fruits to make it taste good. You get everything in a multi-vitamin plus a whole lot more, but instead of feeling bad afterwards, you will feel fantastic.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Wow that's odd. I just bought the centrum chewable ones. They are great x
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    First, you should be able to get your vitamins and nutrients from food, but if you cant.. and some cant.. then you need a multi.

SO, Same with me.. First, if you are taking some cheap off the shelf walmart or CVS vitamin.. they are JUNK and filled with CRAP anyway, so they are doing you probably more harm than good. If you cant get your doctor to prescribe you a GOOD multi, then get a good one from a wellness store, or from a place like Shaklee, where they are made from wholefoods.

Dont buy junk.. as they say, you get what you pay for!!

If you cant afford a better vitamin, dont take one. Look instead for vitamin packed foods and eat more of them! & if you still feel you need something extra, take a vitamin C tablet and a vitamin D over the winter months. They boost your immunity, your mental health and give you slight energy! Vitamin D also aids in weight loss. =)

I don't think it has anything to do with junk, honestly. The multivitamins my doc prescribed me made me just as sick as the drugstore ones, as did the $60 ones my trainer recommended.
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    Multi-vitamins are good for you. While, yes, it is best to get what you can from a balanced diet - there are definitely some nutrients that as we age our body doesn't handle as efficiently as it used to.

Many times, some nutrients are 'overload', though. Usually iron is one that a person either is low on, and absolutely needs a supplement; OR they aren't low, and they don't need the additional supplement. It can make you very nauseous, especially on an empty stomach.

At your next physical, ask your doctor to tell you specifically which vitamins and nutrients your blood work shows you low on.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    "Well, there's some value to taking a multi-vitamin but the human body can only absorb so much. What you're buying here are the ingredients for very expensive urine."

Love Sheldon :)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Love Sheldon :)

:smile:
  • Pandabug93
    Pandabug93 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, maybe I'll just stick to some vitamin c tablets and possibly a vitamin D one as well.
  • amydorrell
    amydorrell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Take them at night.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, maybe I'll just stick to some vitamin c tablets and possibly a vitamin D one as well.

Just make sure you ask your doctor the appropriate dose! A little is okay.. but too much can be really bad for you! :heart:
  • Hadley_SM
    Hadley_SM Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    They make me hella sick too, but if I take them on a full stomach right before I go to bed I dont feel a thing! :)
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I have started taking vita gummies after eating breakfast and don't have the negative effects anymore.