Baked hips & Salsa a bad or good snack?

Options
AKosky585
AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
I only eat the baked, low fat tortilla chips. They are 120 calories, 3 grams of fat and 120 mg sodium per serving. I eat fresh salsa with it....10 calories, 0 fat per serving with 130 mg of sodium. I know salsa is supposed to be somewhat healthy, aside from all the sodium. The snack total is less than 150 calories, 3 grams fat and 300 grams sodium roughly. Is this an okay snack to eat?

Replies

• lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Well I think beef & pork "hips" are higher in fat, but I'm not sure about chicken "hips". I hear chicken lips are hard to come by, but healthy...;)

Try to balance that snack with some protein and fat...a mini-meal almost. Lots of carbs and salt there, and nothing else.
  • fooja
    fooja Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    i eat it sometimes....i think its ok and its yummy!!!!!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    seeing as i consider chips and salsa my "favorite food", i've convinced myself that its a healthy snack. :laugh: it actually can be a healthy snack if you pair the salsa with the right chips, and add some hummus to dip for added protein? hummus is very yummy with chips and contains a lot of protein (about 70 calories for 2 tablespoons). i like lundberg farms' rice chips. they are made of organic brown rice and have good carbs. another chip i like is trader joe's baked rice chips in salt/cracked pepper flavor. they don't have as many nutrients as the lundberg farms ones, but they're about 120 calories for 38 chips!! very low-cal.
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I make my own chips with baked mountain bread (i think this might be an australian brand but if you google it i am sure you can find the equiv) and i make salsa with tomato, herbs, avocado, corn and a dash of olive oil. (you can shave a few calories with the avo and the oil but they are a way to get some good fats!)

I think thats a very healthy snack and a real crowd pleaser to take as a offering to a social gathering
  • lcmartin
    lcmartin Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well I think beef & pork "hips" are higher in fat, but I'm not sure about chicken "hips". I hear chicken lips are hard to come by, but healthy...;)

Oh...I'm literally LOL'ing. People think I'm crazy!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

hehe...oops. :) *blush* Your comment made my night though...fiance is asking why I am laughing. I told him. He just was like 'okay' and went back to his video game. haha
  • stephieloo
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that chips and salsa is a healthy snack as long as you aren't wolfing down the whole bag of chips!!
  • brendac72
    brendac72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Funny you asked this question, I was going to ask the same. Chips & salsa are my absolute favorite snack. I have made my own chips & salsa but lately don't have the time to do it. In my personal opinion it is on the healthier side but I'm sure thats not the case. The way I look at it is .....if I eat that, its much better then eating like Doritos or somethng along those lines. I do limit myself to like 10 chips per serving. I won't be giving up my chips & salsa :bigsmile:
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    LMAO-:laugh: chicken lips that someone commented on...anyway, I love chips and salsa also. Especially with home made salsa!!