Lets be real

Options
Aloha! Im from Hawaii and we all loooooove to eat. Eating is social for us and signifies a time of joy, laughs and good company. it was great until i turned 30 and then that ole dependable mtabilizim began to abandon me. Over the last 3 years I've managed to slowly drop from 264 lbs to 229 lbs and have managed my weight at 229 lbs since then.

A friend recently turned me on to this app and I absolutely love it. I'm a realistic guy with realistic goals. I believe in setting goals with more than enough time makes them achievable and gives you a feeling of accomplishment. As such I don't expect to be a fitness or health icon but I do at least wan to maintain a healthier lifestyle. And it all starts with food.

I don't diet and I don't depend on exercise to compensate for what I eat. I love to eat and I want to eat what makes me happy. I'm just smarter about it now a days. I believe you can eat what you want to eat some of the time but you can't eat all you want to eat all of the time. For example, granola and soy in the morning, fruit snack, Philly cheesesteak and fries for lunch, and Greek grilled salmon and veggies for dinner. I got a ton of tricks that I use at fast food spots as well as regular joints and in the kitchen.

Sooooo I'm here to effectively monitor my intake, build a network of like minded folk, and reach my next goal of 220 lbs by Jan 15. Thanks for all of you that make this network what it is and please keep up the great work!!

Replies

• chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Your honesty is so refreshing. I hope you achieve your goals and wish you the best of luck in this journey.
  • Hawnpunch22
    Options
    Thanks!
  • WaylonGuitar
    WaylonGuitar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Nice! I just signed up too. I, too like the honesty. I'm sort of on the same plan. Being reasonable and doing some physical activity everyday, but really I'm trying not to be obsessive about nutrition macros, to the point I'm overwhelming myself with thoughts about carbs, protein and etc. I'm basically on the "eat whatever crap I want, as long as it's under my daily allotment of calories" plan, and it correlates with how I normally eat in life.. I know all about fast food tricks too. lol

I've got a long way until goal, but the main goal is to be healthier.

Feel free to friend me.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Good luck ! My diet is still the same but portion distortion is history I actually eat actual size portions, as for exercise I try but doesn't always work out...
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    I feel the same way! Welcome to MFP.
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Wait... What!? Reasonable people with reasonable goals on MFP? Such a breath of fresh air!

Good luck in achieving your goals gentlemen!
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I love your honesty, it's so refreshing. Feel free to add me :smile: I could use a realistic positive person like you as a friend :laugh: and I'm pretty good at being so as well.
  • btracy01
    Options
    It actually does work pretty well. Thats basically what i've been doing to lose weight. Usually have a protein shake for breakfast, salad for lunch and a couple healthy fruits and veggies for snackage, then have basically whatever i want for dinner :D keeps you from feeling deprived.
  • oAshlio
    oAshlio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to be a support buddy! I have to admit that I love to eat also and I am more here to start baby steps. Monitoring my food in take and the healthyness of my food first and foremost before trying to stop eating cold turkey and kill myself on workouts! If you ever need a friend, I am here for any and all to show support and to talk to! Feel free to add me if you want!
  • Hawnpunch22
    Options
    Absolutely the point my friend!! If you get too caught up in dieting and losing weight then you get stressed out. Stress leads to bad decisions. In the end, bad decisions benefit the greatest capitalist enterprise there is ........ McDonalds!! I seriously think they sprinkle crack rock on their food cause I crave it from time to time.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I also agree with your philosophy. Feel free to add me to you "pal" list. Just know that I am not a cheerleader. I will not reward you everyday with a WTG if you are not reaching your goals, but I won't chastise you either.

Kelly
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This was the same mindset I had going into MFP and up until about 15 pounds ago. But the alure of having a six pack is so enticing now that I have started to obsess a bit about protein and carbs as well as workouts. But for achieving a healthy body I absolutely agree you can eat basically whatever you want in moderation with some physical activity. By eating lean meat and veggies at night you are also keeping ti somewhat low carb towards the end of the day which should help with your goals.