Scales vs. Inches

Options
Hey ladies and gents! So the scale can sometimes be a misconception. Its a measurement weight so that could mean the water weight during our periods, undigested food or even muscle gained. Then there are those inches that peel on or off, making our clothes looser or tighter and making us appear leaner or thicker. So what is important to you? How much the scale says or how you look in the mirror with and without clothes? I go back and forth with myself as far as my personal level of importance. Of course I enjoy inches peeling off and clothes in smaller sizes, the definition in areas of my body and a leaner look, but then again who doesn't want to see it on the scale as well? I'm totally striving for better health and a better look, I have deemed the scale my fulltime Frenemy! What do you think?

Replies

• kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know its not possible to have but I want both!!! I want the scale to read how my body looks.
  • Kurls4Daze
    Kurls4Daze Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I AGREE THIS IS A GREAT TOPIC AND SOMETHING THAT I AM STRUGGLING WITH AS WELL. BEING A WOMAN CAN BE SO CHALLENGING LOLOL
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    8213431311_eecd2df7b1.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this picture is a good example of why the measuring tape is more important than the scale!

the pic on the left is in 2009. I went on to gain 32 pounds before I started losing this year. I am wearing the EXACT same shirt in both pics. The pants started falling off me in March....strangely enough, I am pretty sure I am a pound heavier in the pic on the right...
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Those inches are vital to me. The scale didn't move AT ALL this week, but the measurements were 2 inches down. Most encouraging!
  • Lstever1
    Options
    I AGREE THIS IS A GREAT TOPIC AND SOMETHING THAT I AM STRUGGLING WITH AS WELL. BEING A WOMAN CAN BE SO CHALLENGING LOLOL

Yes it can be omgesh..
  • Lstever1
    Options
    @ Sarah... This is quite impressive... thank you for sharing! Way to go btw!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    This time around my success is purely attributed to the INCHES I've lost. If I relied on the scale--AGAIN--I'd give up...AGAIN. When efforts are not rewarded with PROGRESS, it is very hard to justify continuing on. I finally found a measure that reflects my progress well enough to keep me motivated. LOVE the tape measure.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on the scale anymore because it doesn't budge much for me. My clothes let me know how I am doing and they say I am on the right track.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The scale because the doctors use that as a measurement. BUT I like a bit of both. Inches lost, clothes fitting looser and how I look is what tells me I am doing the right thing. I want to feel good, bend over with no trouble and get rid of the comorbidities I have had \ still have. I want to be healthy.
  • dangitsjill
    dangitsjill Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly teaching myself to focus more on the inches and less on the scale. I constantly weigh myself and have mini breakdowns when my weight fluctuates, but I'm trying to learn that if the inches are down, then that is probably a better thing.

It's difficult with society as well and their focus on the weight :/
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Since my weight fluctuates with whatever phase I'm in with whatever workout I'm doing, how much salt I ate the day before, how much I pooped, and a different weight for each week of my cycle, PLUS the fact that I lift weights and am building muscle, I def think measurements and how my clothes are fitting are a much more accurate gauge of my progress! Most importantly, it's how I'm feeling!
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I need the number on the scale to be below a certain number for the bones in my foot, but it's so nice to see the inches falling off :) So for me, right now, it has to be the scale (using the inches as motivation), and in 20 pounds, it'll totally be inches :)
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I also want both to reflect my progress... although I tend to lean more toward inches lost!
  • family_girl2626
    Options
    Everyone keeps asking me "how much more have you lost" when to be honest the scale hasn't moved for me in a couple months. It will go up a few pounds and go down a few the normal see/saw action. I didnt measure (bad move) when I started as I wasn't so sure it wouldn't put me in a depression but I know I am losing inches by others reactions and my clothing. Too bad we cant have both but I am hoping that someday soon the scale might move again as well as inches. 30 lbs more and I can say I have hit my target weight :)
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I don't own any scales other than in the kitchen. And they are in a storage unit back in Oregon unfortunately. I measure once a month. That's it. I will weigh myself at the doctor's if I'm near by of at a friend's place. But measuring is wear it's at. Nice thing about it is that I don't stress about the number. Slow and steady loss is best but occasionally I get a big drop and that's a great affirmation of how well I'm doing.
  • joanmarienana
    joanmarienana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Since my road to a healthy weight is a long one, I am using inches and clothing size. Don't have or want a scale in my house, but I go to my dad's every week and he has one, so I plan to weigh only on the first Saturday of each month. More often than that is too discouraging to me.
  • sndiane
    sndiane Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would say I won't both, but right now I am more impressed with my inches are saying. It thrills me to no end to be able to wear clothes that I haven't worn in more that 8 years.
  • sndiane
    sndiane Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That is a very good plan.
  • rdukes08
    Options
    This is a great topic. I can relate to everyone with regard to the scale. I am at the gym 6 days a week, no less than an hour a day, no more than 90 minutes. Most of my workout is cardio when I workout by myself but when I'm with a trainer, there is weight lifting and core involved. The scale is truly not my friend and I get very discouraged. I have a meltdown every other week. I couldn't understand how my clothes are much bigger and everyone tells me I look great or they can see the difference. I am now able to look in the mirror with or without clothes on but, still yet, the scale won't budge. I haven't had anything that resembles junk food in 3 months, my diet in pretty clean cut, baked/boiled chicken, baked fish, brown rice, veggies (and I'm not a veggie eater), I have replaced diet soda with water (no less than 9, 8oz glasses a day) but I cannot get the scale to move. I had a complete physical, blood work, the works, nothing is wrong. My energy level from going to the gym is amazing. I use to be a 13 hour a day sleeper on the weekends, now I don't take naps. So, knowing that I'm not the only one that is having the issue, lets me know I'm not alone and I'll keep working towards my goal of healthy living and eventually, the scale will catch the inches. :wink: