What, really, is "too thin"?

Options
When I took up the gauntlet to lose weight, my primary reason was to be healthier. And to be a good role model for my kids. I think I have done pretty well, maybe losing a little more than I had planned, but I do plan on lifting even more to gain some muscle. Still haven't quite figured out how to do that, but I'm sure I will.

But I digress a bit. A friend of the family (well, to be honest, a friend of my husband) flat out told me that I am getting too thin. I may have been at the lowest end of healthy BMI when being told that, but that does mean normal weight in any case, so I don't get the comment. What is too thin? Or is it that people think normal west is thin because so many of us are overweight, that we have skewed and distorted what constitutes thin and fat?

Replies

• agtitus
    agtitus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with peoples opinions of "too thin" I think it's all about where you feel most comfortable, and healthful. This is a good question you raised.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    "Too thin" is a weight that is harmful for your body to maintain, but it can differ from person to person. What may be one person's healthy normal weight that they don't even work to maintain can be "too skinny" for someone who's body is healthier at a higher bmi.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    People tell my grandson (16) that he is too thin and according to calculations he is normal weight. His stomach is flat but not caved in. He fits his clothes nicely with no tightness ever. Other People are skewing the curve of what is a healthy weight. That and they are so used to seeing someone who is overweight so someone who is not doesn't look right. I would not listen to him as long as your clothes don't fall off no matter the size for your age and your hip bones don't poke out. But then what do I know I am just a clown:laugh:
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hmm...hard to say. I definitely know it when I see it though- you know, you just look at someone and think " that doesn't look fun at all". I'm sure they feel healthy and fine, but I don't want to get myself to an unattractive level of boniness.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    you know, you just look at someone and think " that doesn't look fun at all"

Exactly. I've looked at people and thought they look almost painfully thin, simply because it looks like they're starving themselves because they're so skinny. When it looks like you can take their arm and snap it in half, or when they look drawn and unhealthy and gaunt, that's when they're "too thin".
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    It varies from person to person, but the clown is right - society has a skewed view of what normal actually is.

I know there's other people who would struggle like hell to get as low as I have, while I eat 2000 calories a day and am perfectly fine. I didn't even mean to get this low - this is just where my body wanted to go on a healthy diet.
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think I was too thin in high school. Don't remember my weight, but I know I was a size 0 - size 2 (now a size 10 after gaining A TON then losing 75+). When I look at pictures of myself, especially in a bathing suit, I look like bobble head! Unless you are in an unhealthy weight range/body fat range for your height, I think "too thin" is in the eye of the beholder. the same could be said about being chubby - some people would think that I am chubby now, but most think I look awesome. ignore this douche, not his place to say this anyway, it's not coming from a place or concern or care.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    you know, you just look at someone and think " that doesn't look fun at all"

Exactly. I've looked at people and thought they look almost painfully thin, simply because it looks like they're starving themselves because they're so skinny. When it looks like you can take their arm and snap it in half, or when they look drawn and unhealthy and gaunt, that's when they're "too thin".

I have seen a handful of people who I've thought we're too thin, just on sight, an by too thin I mean they looks like they were probably recovering or suffering from a disease or ED. On the other hand, I've known a couple of people who I found too thin in context, once I saw how little they ate to maintain their weight or the techniques they employed to avoid eating in public.

If someone seems healthy, and I haven't seen signs of other issues under the surface, I probably wouldn't think they were too thin.
  • Madelinew22
    Options
    not sure i just ignore ppl, i get told that i look unhealthy or too thin or sick alot, also ppl tell me to go eat cake or french fries.i actually weigh alot more then most ppl think so i never listen cuz they are just haters
  • People who would not dream of telling someone they are too fat seem to fall over themselves.to tell you you are getting too thin. Sleek, well-groomed people are offensive, apparently.

I got told this when I had a BMI of 25 and chubby. Now I have a BMI of 23 and am still chubby, and my family are all like, "Don't waste away!"

Agree with the poster who said that we are so used to seeing obesity around us that our views of what is normal are seriously warped.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    if I can see your ribs....or if your very skinny and have a 6pack just because your body fat levels are so low despite highly underdeveloped muscle tissue...that in my mind is too thin
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If it is something that is concerning you a lot, maybe you should go to your doctor for a checkup and ask questions about where you're at and where you want to go. Professional advice is probably best on this matter because being "too thin" can be detrimental.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    if I can see your ribs....or if your very skinny and have a 6pack just because your body fat levels are so low despite highly underdeveloped muscle tissue...that in my mind is too thin

I don't agree with this definition at all. I carry my weight more in my thighs and stomach than I do in my rib area, therefore I can very clearly see my ribs. In fact, they stick out. I have big 23.5 inch thighs though. That's bigger than a lot of people who are actually overweight. I'm 5'4" and 118 pounds which is not underweight.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    So many people are over weight and obese that I believe most people don't really know what a "healthy" body weight looks like.

Also there is such a disparity between where most people in the US look like and what we see in magazines and on TV that a lot of people just assume some one that is at a healthy weight is TOO THIN.

My parents tell me I have lost too much weight and in reality I still have 10-15 lbs left to lose.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    ... you just look at someone and think " that doesn't look fun at all".

As opposed to "jolly fat people"?

The people who've said that many Americans have a distorted image of normal weight because of the obesity epidemic are right. I've also read articles about studies that made the same point.
  • christyallgood
    christyallgood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have had several people tell me I am too skinny. Especially one in particular who can't let it go. I have known her since I was 19 years old. I was always small and skinny. But once i had two kids I didn't drop all the weight. Now I am close to what I used to be. Who says you need to be heavier just because you're a few years older and had a couple kids? I am so much more comfortable and healthier at this weight than 25 lbs heavier!
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options

I don't agree with this definition at all. I carry my weight more in my thighs and stomach than I do in my rib area, therefore I can very clearly see my ribs. In fact, they stick out. I have big 23.5 inch thighs though. That's bigger than a lot of people who are actually overweight. I'm 5'4" and 118 pounds which is not underweight.

I completely agree. I have some ribs that stick out but a lot of meat on my thighs. My BMI is a healthy 21.9. My mom calls me "too thin" the moment I weigh less than she does. I feel like it undermines my accomplishments and wish she would just say she's happy for me.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    too thin is only when it starts affecting your health. who cares if some random person doesn't find you "aesthetically pleasing." if you're healthy and getting all your nutrients then it shouldn't be anybody else's business. my BMI is around 19.2 and i eat way more than most of my friends, yet my friends and family complain i'm "too thin." i get all my nutrients and i'm more healthy and fit than i've ever been.
  • Pualana
    Options
    I could fit into a 22 inch pair of jeans when I was younger and I weighed no more than 100 lbs. That was, until I had my children! Yet, when I look back at the various pictures and videos from back then, I looked great. I was very athletic, running, swimming, skating in the winter, and of course.... Marching! I played flute for a local year-round city run music program. Yes, I did go to band camp.... Anyhow, I believe it is on how you feel. Are you happy? Do you have lots of energy? If you answered yes, then there is nothing to worry about.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I picture too thin as the little old man I once knew. Lying in his bed, the front of his stomach was sunken enough to see his backbone and he still wouldn't eat because he wasn't hungry.