Slim and high cholesterol, frustrating!

Options
I suffer of high cholesterol, I weight 125 pounds and work out regularly. My problem is that I love cheese, cookies, ice cream, and bread, LOVE THEM.
Can anybody suggest me alternative food in order to eat better but still feel happy with the flavor and the feeling of "I'm full" (hate being hungry).

I always have very good breakfast, lunch and dinner, it's the snacks that I think are keeping my cholesterol high...

Any suggestion or comment would be appreciated! THANK YOU!

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I'm not much help, but it may be hereditary moreso than diet.. just giving you another way to look at it
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree, it may not be something you can control with diet and exercise but it's definitely worth a try if you can! Plus you may need more specific advice like is your ratio ok but your HDL needs to be better? I'd recommend talking more with your doctor about it and/or going to see a nutritionist specifically about lowering your cholesterol through diet. I did this years ago and it was very helpful. I'm not sure if the science has changed much but here are a few things I remember off the top of my head:

lower intake of saturated fats - eat more chicken, fish and pork, lower red meat intake

avoid hydrogenated oils (I think the term now is trans fats) - things like margarine and regular peanut butter are bad, check labels, use natural peanut butter and healthier oils, avoid fast/fried foods, etc.

eat more high fiber foods - more leafy greens like broccoli, kale, spinach and stick to whole grain breads

Add Omega-3 - eat more fish like salmon. add flax seed to foods or go with supplements. I

snack on almonds and walnuts

If you do go see a nutritionist, be honest about those foods you love and see if they have suggestions for alternatives. Not sure if lower fat cheeses would help or maybe try alternatives to ice cream like coconut/almond milk products.

Good luck!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I always have very good breakfast, lunch and dinner, it's the snacks that I think are keeping my cholesterol high...

I hate to state the obvious but if you think your snacks are a problem, then start there. I am guessing you will be retested in the near future, so you don't have to cut them out but definitely limit your intake of the high cholesterol ones, like ice cream. You can see if you can find an acceptable substitute, like sorbet instead of ice cream. Bread generally doesn't have cholesterol so I don't know why you would cut that out. Animal products are the problem, not grains. Ice cream, cookies, cheese, eggs, etc.

I agree with others though, that this may be genetic and not easily overcome by diet change. Good luck and try and lay off the ice cream! ;)
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i had high cholesterol and im pretty sure mine was due to red meat. I now eat more turkey, chicken, pork, and fish and my numbers are normal now.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

I hate to state the obvious but if you think your snacks are a problem, then start there. I am guessing you will be retested in the near future, so you don't have to cut them out but definitely limit your intake of the high cholesterol ones, like ice cream. You can see if you can find an acceptable substitute, like sorbet instead of ice cream. Bread generally doesn't have cholesterol so I don't know why you would cut that out. Animal products are the problem, not grains. Ice cream, cookies, cheese, eggs, etc.

I agree with others though, that this may be genetic and not easily overcome by diet change. Good luck and try and lay off the ice cream! ;)

Cholesterol contained in food has no affect on the cholesterol found in your blood. Cholesterol is actually produced by your liver and typically a reaction to extra carbohydrates in your diet.

ETA: to add make sure your getting fiber and whole grains to remove the existing cholesterol from your blood.
  • bbluelopez
    Options
    Thank you for your advice, I made an appointment with my doctor in 2 weeks, we'll see. I just hope I don't need medication...
  • rcolours7
    Options
    hi

glad u will be going back to your dr. to find out about your cholesterol ratios of where they are, where they need to be & how to get to where they need to be WITHOUT MEDS.

i disagree w/a previous posters comments about having more chicken, fish, turkey etc....these foods actually raise the bad cholesterol & other stuff that is not good.

highly recommend reducing your meat intake to 2-3 x's a week vs everyday - if that's what u do now.

i also recommend the book "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Furhman......drfurhman.com

his book is a great read for general diet help w/o meds. he's a practicing physician in Toms River, NJ and helps countless of people get off all kinds of med w/changing your diet and how view food. check out his site.

personally, i don't have cholesterol issues or anything major, but my husband does and i've taken steps to decrease our meat/fish intake & have more fruits/veggies and definitely feel better. my husband just came back from his cardio dr. & his cholesterol is up - so, going to reduce even more his portion size of meat & make sure he has more fruit/veggies. my husband does need to lose some weight, like 10 lbs - but not a lot. his cholesterol issues are mostly genetic, but controlling his diet better will help.

if you like - friend me & can give you some more tips from the book. i keep re-reading different sections

best wishes on a healthy journey to being more healthy.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    i disagree w/a previous posters comments about having more chicken, fish, turkey etc....these foods actually raise the bad cholesterol & other stuff that is not good.

highly recommend reducing your meat intake to 2-3 x's a week vs everyday - if that's what u do now.

<snip>

personally, i don't have cholesterol issues or anything major, but my husband does and i've taken steps to decrease our meat/fish intake & have more fruits/veggies and definitely feel better. my husband just came back from his cardio dr. & his cholesterol is up - so, going to reduce even more his portion size of meat & make sure he has more fruit/veggies.

Wait...you've cut down your husband's consumption of meat & fish, increased his carbohydrates, and his cholesterol has gotten worse. So you're going to do even more of the same and expect a different result?

Maybe you ought to try cutting out bread and sweets instead, and let him have the meat and fish back...
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It may also have to do with your stress level rather than what you are eating. My cholesterol lowered itself drastically when I went off work. Very little change in diet.
  • rcolours7
    Options

<snip>

personally, i don't have cholesterol issues or anything major, but my husband does and i've taken steps to decrease our meat/fish intake & have more fruits/veggies and definitely feel better. my husband just came back from his cardio dr. & his cholesterol is up - so, going to reduce even more his portion size of meat & make sure he has more fruit/veggies.

Wait...you've cut down your husband's consumption of meat & fish, increased his carbohydrates, and his cholesterol has gotten worse. So you're going to do even more of the same and expect a different result?

Maybe you ought to try cutting out bread and sweets instead, and let him have the meat and fish back...

my husband is allergic to certain fish, all dairy and doesn't eat pasta.....

WHERE IN MY POST DO I SAY I'M INCREASING CARBS???? i'm not increasing carbs w/breads or sweet. we don't eat a lot of processed foods which have the bad carbs.

all foods have carbs. i'm increasing fruits/veggies/beans-legumes and decreasing his portion size. instead of 8oz of chicken, i'm making it to be more like 4oz.

YOU NEED TO DO SOME MORE RESEARCH FROM ACTUAL DOCTORS WHO PRACTICE MEDICINE WITH USING FOOD TO CURE ILLNESS/DISEASE & NOT MEDS!!!!

here's another disclaimer about reducing cholesterol w/less meat/fish & processed foods......another friend has recently started reading the book, "Eat to Live" and has cut out more of her dairy & cut back on her meat intake & increased her fruit/veggie intake dramatically. her #'s have gone down a bit, she doesn't feel bloated as much anymore & feels lots better.

2nd disclaimer - my dad has followed the "Eat to Live" plan on his own for @ 5+ years. he still eats meat - a good steak from time to time. he eats chicken,fish,turkey maybe 1 or 2 times in a week. not 5-7x's. my dad lost a lot of weight, lost inches, and has blood work that constantly blows his primary dr. away whenever his has his yearly physical. i might add that my dad was never severely overweight. my dad does juicing, eats salads for lunch w/a slice of some sort of multi or whole grain bread, snacks on nuts from time to time, eats fruits w/his cereal & dinner - usually another salad b/c he's too tired to make something else @ 7p. sometimes he'll do a pasta (whole grain or multi) or something w/beans-legumes. he eats sweets @ parties, holidays, special events. all of this is based upon the book, "Eat to Live" and other research info he's gathered.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    WHERE IN MY POST DO I SAY I'M INCREASING CARBS???? i'm not increasing carbs w/breads or sweet. we don't eat a lot of processed foods which have the bad carbs.

all foods have carbs. i'm increasing fruits/veggies/beans-legumes and decreasing his portion size. instead of 8oz of chicken, i'm making it to be more like 4oz.

Good heavens, I didn't mean to upset you so. I'm not familiar with every diet book out there.

Where did I say anything about meds? Statins are overprescribed, and have way more side effects and much less benefit than doctors and drug companies would have us believe.

I did take a quick look at "Eat to Live." It appears to have a lot in common with the very low-fat Ornish and Pritikin diets, yes?

If you're decreasing the amount of protein and fat in the diet, and you're adding plant foods, that is an increase in carbohydrate, even if you consider them "good" carbs.

Jane Brody with the New York Times wrote an article a few years ago about her own struggles with cholesterol. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/health/21brod.html?ref=science

tl;dr: After preaching the low-fat, high-carb gospel and following it faithfully for many years, with an hour a day or more of exercise, Ms. Brody's cholesterol levels went up to 222 from 200. HDL was 69, triglycerides 95, LDL barely elevated at 134. Her doctor wasn't concerned, but it worried her. She cut out more fat and started taking plant stanols. Three months later, total cholesterol had risen to 236 and the LDLs were up to 159. So she ate even less red meat and more fish, lowered fat intake still more, and increased fiber. This resulted in total cholesterol of 248 and LDL of 171.

It never occurred to Ms. Brody that the diet itself could be causing the elevated cholesterol. Her body was just "spewing out" cholesterol and nothing could be done but to start on statins.

Just something to think about...
  • rcolours7
    Options
    don't know about the Pritikin or low-fat Ornish u mentioned. for the Brody person - never heard of her either. however, from the basic info u gave sounds like she was eating a lot of processed foods & not enough fresh or frozen fruits/veggie.

all i know - with a balance of fruit/veggies/beans-legumes; moderate amount of diary, meats, and occasional sweet treats - exercise often - one will be better off.

when u increase your leafy greens & veggies overall - it takes @ 3 months for the body to adjust and get the right amount of fat from the food. animal protein/fat is just not as healthy as plant/fruit/beans' fat.

highly recommend getting the book, Eat to Live & really reading it for your information. what the dr. says makes a whole lot of sense/truth w/all the info that is out there. i felt it kinda put a lot of dieting info into better perspective to understand.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has been shown to have little impact on your blood cholesterol.

Did you get a full work up? What are your individual numbers?

Sometimes it's just your body.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol is more about eating the wrong fats and the wrong carbs than eating too much of them. If you are struggling with cravings and eating 'bad' snacks I would question your definition of 'good' meals.

A good breakfast is rich in protein, healthy fats and fibre, plenty of fruits or veggies, a modest portion only of the lowest glycaemic index carbs. Most women eat toast or boxed cereal for breakfast which is the absolute opposite of what is going to keep you satisfied for longest. Be sure you eat at least nine portions of bright or dark coloured fruits and vegetables each day for the heart-healthy antioxidants, fibre, vitamins and minerals. This is super filling.

Healthy fats include oily fish, avocado, olives, coconut, cocoa, nuts and seeds - note these are all whole foods not oils so rich in protein and/ or fibre too. Healthy carbs for the cardiovascular system include most vegetables, some fruits particularly cherries and berries, beans and lentils, to a much lesser extent pot barley and steel cut or jumbo oats. Again all these are filling foods, potatoes sugar and most wheat products are not.

You can make healthier versions of ice cream, cookies and bread - use ingredients like xylitol, stevia, sucralose, peanut flour, defatted coconut flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, any nuts and seeds, fresh fruit or veg (banana, apple, carrot, prunes, pumpkin etc). Concentrate on recipes that eliminate sugar, animal fats and white flour in favour of those that contain increased protein, healthy fats and fibre. Frozen bananas make for amazing ice cream with Greek yoghurt or low fat soft cheese or canned unsweetened evaporated milk.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol was very high. I've been taking 40mg lipitor. I lost 62 pounds and decided to go back to the doctor to see if I can quit taking it. My labs came back and it was good news/bad news. My cholesterol did come down...some. He said that proves that it is hereditary (not surprising since ny father had a 52" waist.) I did get to cut my dosage in half! Yours may be hereditary too. As much as I hate the idea if taking drugs, I hate the idea if having a stroke more.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Try adding some oatmeal and Metamucil to your diet. Both of these can help lower cholesterol.