Rice Cooker Help

Options
seashell99z
seashell99z Posts: 113 Member
I have a Salton rice cooker. The lower end model with the one switch. I made rice tonight and it was not completely done when all the liquid was absorbed and the unit turned off.

What type of rice do you use? Do I need to use the quick cooking type?

Oh...I used chicken broth instead of water...it was FANTASTIC...well it would have been better if the rice was a little softer.

Oh in case you haven't figured it out, the manual is long gone.

Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• luvinna
    luvinna Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have an old Betty Crocker rice cooker that has only one switch that toggles between cook and warm. I use regular rice in it.

How much liquid did you use? If you don't use enough, the rice won't be cooked when the rice cooker turns off. Every cooker is probably different in that respect so you may just need to experiment a bit. When I'm cooking 3 cups of rice (my cooker's capacity), I use 4 cups of water. Never tried it with broth which may or may not change the ratio.

I'd recommend experimenting a few times to find the rice to water ratio that works best in your cooker. Good luck!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I always use short grain white rice in mine..if you are using the cup that came with the rice cooker then 1 cup goes to the 1 line.. and so on...

We eat rice daily in this house.. me not so much anymore so I am very familiar with rice cookers.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Have you searched on google for the manual? It's probably downloadable from somewhere online.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    1 cup rice / 1.5 cup water

any type of rice....but you need to expiriment
    generally japanese rice needs less then longrain or basmati
    brown rice needs more time...that means you need to add more water...so it stays on longer

try washing your rice before cooking it.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have a microwave container that steam vegies, cooks rice, pasta and potatoes. I only used basmati rice as it is healthier than all of the other white rice varieties. It cooks perfect rice every time. And I can use freshly cooked rice in fried rice without it sticking. Best container I have ever had.
  • sunraew
    sunraew Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Whichever rice, or brand of rice cooker I use, I rinse the rice well. Stirring and rinsing until there is no more cloudy starch water to be seen. Then refill with fresh clean water. Put my finger just touching the top of the rice level, then keep filling with water until just over the first knuckle. Stop filling.
    Then set the rice cooker to go as usual.
    It usually turns out nice and fluffy, even the brown rice.
    If a little wet, just stir and fluff it while still very hot, that should let the moisture out. (Adjust your measure for next time).

Hope this helps.
  • Kate964
    Kate964 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    with my rice cooker for one cup white rice i add 2 cups of liquid.
    for brown rice one cup of rice i add 2 1/2 cups of liquid and if it is still crunchish i stir it and add some more water and close it again.
    this has worked for me with two differant brands of cooker.
    but as everyone said
    experiment
    : )
  • janiesue101
    janiesue101 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have had to adjust water level when cooking brown rice. I have to add more water to the brown rice than I do the white rice or it will
    come out hard.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Whichever rice, or brand of rice cooker I use, I rinse the rice well. Stirring and rinsing until there is no more cloudy starch water to be seen. Then refill with fresh clean water. Put my finger just touching the top of the rice level, then keep filling with water until just over the first knuckle. Stop filling.
    Then set the rice cooker to go as usual.
    It usually turns out nice and fluffy, even the brown rice.
    If a little wet, just stir and fluff it while still very hot, that should let the moisture out. (Adjust your measure for next time).

Hope this helps.

This....word for word :)