Anyone have problems getting their calories in?

Options
Hey all, I am on day 2 of of my wellness program and feeling great! I am on medically supervised weight loss plan taking supplements, phentermine and a low carb high protein diet. I have a target of 1500 calories a day but the last two days im having a hard time eating more than 800.... i think this may be because i have had to get blood draws the last 2 mornings and fast until 1030 am and havent been able to start eating since then. Anyone have trouble eating enough calories throughout the day? Any suggestions for higher calorie foods with good amounts of protein and low carbs?

Replies

• Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You coud go for a protein shake. There are high calorie ones that can supplement in place of food. My favorite is boost very vanilla. They also have chocolate and strawberry. Hope that helps.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Anytime you need more calories and nutrients you can use Protien drinks to supplement it when the thought of eating gags you. Its easier to drink something.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Dement : Psyc you owe me a soda
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Jbrandt24
    Jbrandt24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have another question about the answers given to the first question. I already eat super healthy, no processed food, food with preservatives that sort of thing. I always end up within the goals for protein but nothing else. So protein shakes would be a no go in my case? Oh and we're talking like a 700 calorie deficit. 100+ grams of carbs, and 15+ grams of fat. Any ideas?
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    definitely go with the protein shake as others have commented. You can add 400-500 calories with one shake. Just mix with skim or 1% milk to save the fat. I go with 1 scoop to 2 cups of milk. Sometimes add an extra 1/2 scoop or take a second shake to work with me when I need extra protein and calories for intense workout days.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Results and Recovery formula for after workouts has a lot of carbs to replenish what you burned.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You could eat a cup of Pistachios(320 calories) and drink a glass (2 cups of milk= 220 calories) of 1% Milk and just that would total 550 calories. Fit in a spoonful of Peanut butter in your day at 190 calories and you just topped 740 calories and to be honest haven't even eaten anything yet. I consume no less than 3000 calories a day and have no problem doing that. You just have to plan out your meals better and make sure you are including calorie dense foods and yes protein shakes are fine to work in as well. I make a ON chocolate shake with peanut butter that is around 700 calories so yes very easy to make up calories needed if you put together a plan of action.... Best of Luck to you on your journey.....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's probably the phentermine. I had to take it briefly and one of the side effects was that I had to force myself to eat. I agree that drinking some calories can help-- smoothies are good if you don't like protein shakes. You can make your own with yogurt, honey, frozen fruit, and ice. Also if you have a lot of "diet" food, swap it out with full calorie versions. Full fat cheese, milk, etc. can really help bump up your calories.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I'd say the appetite suppressant is working!!! A little too well perhaps?!
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    Thanks all! Yes- the appetite suppressant is definelty working but it makes it easier to choose foods based on their nutritional value since I'm not hungry and in a rush to eat when I'm cooking. I'm going to head over and get some protein powder today. For the first few weeks of my wellness plan I am limited to fruit 2X a week because of the sugars. However I am finding that almond butter is a great suggestion :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Phentermine is a stimulant like crack or crystal meth. All of these things kill your appetite. Maybe try a lower dose. It's an addictive medication anyway so it's best to be on the lowest possible dose.
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    Phentermine is a stimulant like crack or crystal meth. All of these things kill your appetite. Maybe try a lower dose. It's an addictive medication anyway so it's best to be on the lowest possible dose.

Yes phentermine is an amphetamine and although it does suppress my appetite drastically I eat every 2-2.5 hours religiously. A lot of protein low sugar low carbs, nothing processed. You're right though- I'm going to try half a pill the next few days to see what happens. I've been meaning to go to GNC and get protein but the days have been getting the best of me! That will be he key I think- cant wait to try it!