30 Day Shred in 60 days

Options

Replies

• leanveins
    leanveins Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with the push ups too. I can do everything else but the push ups kill me. I have no shoulder strength. I have been running for a while now and the jumping jacks and jump rope mix kills my calves.I don't know why i thought my legs would be able to handle everything, I have always had a weak upper body. I have been doing the workout 30 min after i get up so around 5 am and do my walk run for 5-6 miles or yoga in the pm.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Im on day 3, I love that she changes up the exercises often as i tended to get bored with other work outs. The one think that I dont like is the damn jumping jacks lol some times having boobs is not always a good thing lol. Im really feeling it in my legs after only 2 days but will keep it up. :) I am using 5 lbs weights, i think 2 or 3 would be better for now but they are all i have.
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Checking in:

I should have done day 2 yesterday, but it looks like I'm now on the 62 day plan! It was a super long day and I was exhausted so there was no way I was going to do a full cardio workout after getting home at 9:15 pm. I should have done it in the morning, but I was so wiped out from the previous day that I overslept. I suppose if I'm really that tired, it's probably best not to work out crazy hard to avoid injury.

Instead: I did do some slow, controlled strength training with my dumbbells, a few crunches for good measure, and bought a tape measure to take measurements. I'm in for another whirlwind of a day today, but at least there will be a break.

So question: Are people up for sharing measurements/progress as we get through this, or you just want to share the results at the end? I'm up for either, but I don't want to be the only one posting measurements!

April
  • leanveins
    Options
    went three days in a row but down with a cold today. lungs hurt and I am tired so not sure when I will pick it back up.
  • tcfuller09
    Options
    Checking in:

I should have done day 2 yesterday, but it looks like I'm now on the 62 day plan! It was a super long day and I was exhausted so there was no way I was going to do a full cardio workout after getting home at 9:15 pm. I should have done it in the morning, but I was so wiped out from the previous day that I overslept. I suppose if I'm really that tired, it's probably best not to work out crazy hard to avoid injury.

Instead: I did do some slow, controlled strength training with my dumbbells, a few crunches for good measure, and bought a tape measure to take measurements. I'm in for another whirlwind of a day today, but at least there will be a break.

So question: Are people up for sharing measurements/progress as we get through this, or you just want to share the results at the end? I'm up for either, but I don't want to be the only one posting measurements!

April

Day 4 completed today. I will share my measurments. We could share at the end of each level or at the end? I'm up for either.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Skipped yesterday because lots of things were going on, but I made myself do it today and I'm pretty proud of myself. Bring on day 3.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I started 30 ds this week and as of today, day 3, level 1, my legs and arms are sore so I am taking the weekend off before starting day 4 on Monday. I like the idea of doing the shred in 60 days rather than 30. This way allows for rest days and for me to mix it up a little. I too, love yoga. I like gentle yoga and have Peggy Cappy's 'Yoga For The Rest of Us' dvd's. Anyone can do her yoga. She has senior citizens doing yoga who are benefiting from it. I also walk to Leslie Sansone's walk off the pounds dvd's.

I thought I'd die when I did the 30 ds those 3 days. My boobs hurt during the jumping jacks and jump rope and this is where I had trouble with stamina. This is also where I had to catch my breath. I need a lot of work in this area.
  • BuckeyeBabe10
    BuckeyeBabe10 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have started and stopped 30DS more times than I can count (moved to a different city, was without furniture/tv/laptop for two weeks, so physically stopped doing the workouts).

All I can really say is the most important thing is to just keep doing it. If you think 60 days is more manageable, I say that's fantastic - as long as you keep moving and you keep challenging yourself, that's what counts.

Someone else in an earlier comment mentioned staying with each level until you're no longer doing modified version and have mastered the level - I think that's a great idea. The thing about 30DS is you need to keep your heart rate up and keep switching things up - if you do Level One for 15 days or 25 days, then more power to you as long as you keep challenging yourself with your intensity and determination.

Best of luck and wish you success!
  • jikkenkekka
    Options
    Ooh, this is exactly what I've been thinking about doing, so I think I'll join in with y'all if you don't mind. :3 I've wanted to do 30DS for a while now but have been letting excuses pile up for why I've been avoiding it. Frankly, I'm so out of shape (with asthma to boot) that I've been half terrified of starting it. Plus I don't personally know anyone who's started it at my size (I'm about 224 now). But I've got a convention coming up in February that I need to buy a dress for, and I'd really love to get down a size or two by then if possible. I've heard from people that have had great results from this, so I think it's time to just suck it up and give it a shot.

I'm not sure when I'll be starting, but sometime in the next several days (so I'll be a ways behind everyone else, I suppose). I'm having a bit of trouble planning out a workout schedule because the gym I joined ages back while they were still getting it ready finally opened, and I've been using the weight machines there, just started c25k (on the treadmill there, as the area I live in isn't the best for running and it's starting to get into rainy winter weather now anyhow), annnnnnd zumba to boot (started on Thursday, also going tomorrow morning). If I'm not feeling too destroyed after zumba tomorrow, I'll see if I can start it then; otherwise it'll probably wait a day or two while I try to shuffle around my gym plans.

In response to a question posed upthread, I would be up for sharing before/after measurements (er ... soon as I take them, heh...).
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    i think what you are doing is great. I am actually doing it in 90 days and am on my last 9 workouts. At first i had a lot of pain and my back kept going out but now that i've spread it out and added yoga, swimming, and C25K on my other days, it's a great addition. I cannot express enough how much I encourage you to add yoga or structured stretching on top of it. Also, make sure to have good shoes and stretch your calves, shins, and hip flexors in addition to the stretches Jillian does.
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I am going to do day five level 1 today. I have been using canned vegetables as wrights since I have no upper body strenghth. Today I am going to buy three pound weights. Would love to provide support.
  • parmoute
    Options
    Finally did Level 1 Day 2! I'm not sure if it's the cardio that is my problem or if it's my quads, but the middle cardio section--right after the squat and press--seems to be the hardest part of the whole workout (with bicycle curls and push-ups a close second and third, respectively). If I'm going to lose my stamina, that's where it happens, though after a few minutes recovery I'm back in the game.

I also finally took some measurements. Here are my starting numbers:

Biceps: 13.25"
    Waist: 43.5"
    Hips: 46.25"
    Thigh: 24.25"

Waist measurement taken at the navel: knowing I'm 36" at my skinniest point is meaningless with this belly in front and even bigger hips below.
  • ebailey710
    Options
    Just finished Day 3. The jump ropes are getting a little easier, I get worried about my back when it comes to jumping. I abhor the bicycle curls and push ups, but I tried my best to get a really good quality modified push up today. Only took a couple breaks for water and sweat wipe-age.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of shredding in 60 days in addition to rest days and other workouts. I also walk to Leslie Sansone's walk dvd's: A mile each day, walking off the pounds. She has cardio in her dvd's. Her dvd's are gentle compared to the 30 ds. JM kicks *kitten*!!! I completed day 3 level 1 yesterday and my arms and legs are sore. I am taking a break this weekend before resuming day 4 on Monday to let my muscles rest.

The jumping jacks and jumping rope are the hardest for me and even my feet hurt when I do them. I really want to do this. I just need help getting there.
  • Seymour32
    Seymour32 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    After starting and stopping the 30DS many times, I have found that (although it is great) my one complaint is the whole psychological struggle of when to move up levels. I always start it thinking I will do L1 until I can do it all and it feels easy. Well, I think I can safely say that even if at my fittest and thinnest, I never found it totally 'easy', certainly not after doing it for a week to 10 days. It can also feel demotivating that each day it is not easy and it may never be. This time I am going to move onto L2 fairly quickly and also L3 (which I think is easier from memory) and then mix and match. Otherwise it gets too boring and it kind of messes with my mind!

It might be a long and boring wait until L1 gets easy
  • parmoute
    Options
    After starting and stopping the 30DS many times, I have found that (although it is great) my one complaint is the whole psychological struggle of when to move up levels. I always start it thinking I will do L1 until I can do it all and it feels easy. Well, I think I can safely say that even if at my fittest and thinnest, I never found it totally 'easy', certainly not after doing it for a week to 10 days. It can also feel demotivating that each day it is not easy and it may never be. This time I am going to move onto L2 fairly quickly and also L3 (which I think is easier from memory) and then mix and match. Otherwise it gets too boring and it kind of messes with my mind!

It might be a long and boring wait until L1 gets easy

My plan was to try to move up one level every 10 days. If I start level 2 and want to die, maybe I'll go back to level 1 for a few more days. If level 1 gets easy early, I'll up the weights for strength and/or up the speed for cardio.
  • ebailey710
    Options
    Had a fight with myself on Day 4 today. I want to be able to do the full push up at least by the time I move to level 2, and thought I'd be ready to start working towards that goal today. I can barely bend my arms in a full plank, which ended up discouraging me and I shut the video off throwing a ***** fit. I finally convinced myself to finish, and I even started it over. I'm glad I did, and I hope I can do a push up soon, it will be my first ever! The jump ropes are getting much easier, I can finally keep up and even get a bit of height in the beginning. Still hate the bicycle crunches, but slowly improving. Hope you ladies are doing well!
  • ebailey710
    Options
    Burcher2 - my husband (who is very mild mannered) would shred with me sometimes and the things he would yell at the tv made me laugh so hard I can't shred with him anymore. Extreme shed and shred sounds interesting. I will look into that for after 30 ds. You should start the shred with us. I'm hoping having a group starting it with me will help me though this round!!!!

I missed this in my first read though! Extreme SS is fun, but I could barely make it through the warm up. My husband shredded with me tonight and he points out JM's contradictions. "How is that not bringing the knee forward?" I think I like it better when I shred upstairs and he does weights and stuff in the basement lol.
  • parmoute
    Options
    How's everyone doing? I have to admit I'm not doing as well as I hoped I'd be at this point: finals are this week and next week, schedule has been crazy, I've been feeling run down, and overall I'm less motivated than I was a week ago. I'm still fighting to get it in my schedule when I have the energy, but since I'm not sure why I'm less motivated, I'm not sure what adjustments to make to feel like I'm back on track.
  • leanveins
    Options
    I have finally started shaking this cold. I hope I can get back to doing this today or tomorrow, It is just still so hard to breathe I don't know.