Disgusting Protein Powder - What to do with it?

Options
I use protein powder in everything - with just water/milk, coffee, oatmeal, yogurt, cereal, etc. i usually use rice protein or milk protein but i just ordered 7 bags (truenutrition) of soy and pea protein and they are absolutely disgusting! the pea protein tastes horrendous and I cant bare to take more than 1/2 tbsp of it without wanting to throw up. The soy is a little more bearable but i hate the soy taste and find every flavor just tastes like icky soy. Plus, it has a weird texture that i cannot mix with anything.

I really cannot afford (financially or health wise) to throw all this out. I would sell it but idk anyone who would like vegan protein powders in my area and i rather not have to deal with shipping open powders to someone. Any great ideas to mask the tastes? I think protein smoothies with fruit would be best but i'm not big on smoothies. Actually, I dont really even like fruit anymore.

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Have you contacted TN to find out what their return policy is? They might refund your money.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    have you googled any recipes online?
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I had pea protein that was terrible too. I bake stuff I don't like into cookies or bars or something.

If you use cottage cheese and a frozen banana, you can get decent cheesecake flavors (choclate, peanutbutter etc).

It's more like a milkshake and less of a smoothie.

Or bake it into pancakes, mix it into oatmeal would hide the texture a bit.

Adding sweetner or cocoa would mask the flavor (not texture tho).
  • elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i feel like baking wouldnt mask it. any good, simple recipes(bars?) to try though?

i mixed pea with cocoa and absolutely disgusting.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Put it up for sale on Craigslist
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I bought a huge thing of muscle milk powder from GNC- absolutely VILE! Even mixed in with a bunch of fruit and milk it was completely disgusting. I will just find other ways to get protein. ETA :sick:
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Optimum Nutrition and BSN. I have yet to have a bad item from either of these supplement companies.
  • repmlrs
    repmlrs Posts: 154
    Options
    you can mail it to me and my soldiers
  • tishka11
    Options
    I have the pea protein too because of its high digestibility and other health benefits...but yes it is horrible

Best thing to do - add Vitarium flavourings to them! They have basically no calories, ar naturally sweetened (using stevia) and taste really really nice! They come in choc, banana, strawberry, and mocha

Heres the link if you wanna check them out

http://www.vitarium.com.au/

Not sure if they sell them in ur part of the world though, im in Aus and they definitely sell them here! :D

Good luck!
  • diannb77tx
    diannb77tx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein and mix it in with the smoothies that I eat for breakfast. To keep my calories down, I only use 1/2 serving. To make my smoothies I use about 3/4 c. fruit, 1/2 c. skim milk, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. If you need it a little sweeter , add a packet of Stevia or Truvia. The other ingredients will cover the taste, yet you will feel fuller longer and get the benefit of added protein.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    ...how can you dislike fruit? That is so odd lol That's too bad because that's probably your best bet.

The only other thing I can think of is to mix it in a blender with a frozen banana, some peanut butter, cocoa, cinnamon, some skim milk(or whatever type of milk you use), some ice and a little bit of some type of sweetener if needed. Those flavors should mask the flavor of the powder. If not, add cold coffee to it too. There's no way you will be able to still taste it after all that lol.

If all else fails, google "Protein powder recipes".
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the vegan stuff, but I found that going heavy on peanut butter and cocoa can mask other flavours pretty good. I would mix it with quick oats, cocoa/chocolate chips, stevia/honey/agave and peanut butter to make little energy balls, and roll it in shredded coconut. Make a bunch and keep them in your freezer for convenience.

For more ideas maybe check out

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/

It's mostly vegan dessert recipes, but I found that a lot of them you can add protein powder to and they still taste really great (especially the brownie batter and cookie dough dips)
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I find that after a workout, anything tastes good... or, well, maybe I just can't taste anything. So it shouldn't be a problem.

If you're using it as a meal replacement, though, just drown it in other flavours: almond butter, berries, cocoa powder, etc.