How accurate are cardio machines?

Options
How accurate do you think the machines are at the gym? I usually do the Cybex Arc Trainer which is similar to an elliptical (just harder) and I usually get the same machine. Today that machine was taken so I picked the one that was 2 over. Needless to say I did the same 30 minute weight loss interval at the exact same level and this machine said I burned 578 calories instead of my usual 500-520 calories. If it was only off by less then 20 then I wouldn't be that concerned but this is a difference of almost 100 calories. I am almost sure I gave the same amount of effort as usual and the exact same settings...................so do you think they are really that accurate?

Replies

• greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I've bene told to find out how often your gym calibrates the machines. They need to be calibrated at least every six months to give accurate counts.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I've bene told to find out how often your gym calibrates the machines. They need to be calibrated at least every six months to give accurate counts.

You cannot calibrate an electronic machine. It's all computer sensors and circuit boards. No one has been able to "calibrate" a piece of top line fitness equipment for about 20 years.
  • purpleflipflop
    Options
    Have you thought about getting an inexpensive heartrate monitor? It will allow you to get a more accurate amount of calories burned!
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

You cannot calibrate an electronic machine. It's all computer sensors and circuit boards. No one has been able to "calibrate" a piece of top line fitness equipment for about 20 years.

Oh, excuse me. I'm not sure what the word is supposed to be then, but I've been told calibrate. It takes the total numbers calculated for the same weight classes & gives the average. Maybe just get a heart rate monitor instead to get a more personalized count for you.
  • indiankel
    indiankel Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I went out and bought a heart rate/calorie monitor because I didn't want to think I was burning all these calories when in fact I wasn't! Last night was the first night I wore it and it was right on with what my watch said.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about getting an inexpensive heartrate monitor? It will allow you to get a more accurate amount of calories burned!

Unfortunately, an inexpensive HRM will just give you another inaccurate number. At least the machines give you an inaccurate calorie number for free.
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    So are expensive heart rate monitors accurate? I had purchased an inexpensive pedometer and it was totally off, so I know the importance of purchasing a quality piece. Does anyone know? If so, do you have any suggestions on a heart rate monitor that would work?
  • indiankel
    indiankel Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just bought the polar F6 and I think its been a great investment. My trainer has a polar F12 I think. I posted a topic on here about the same thing and the vote seemed to go toward the polar HRM's. Hope it helps!