Help. Does anybody else have this problem?

Options
I have a serious issue with moderation control. I do everything in an all or nothing manner. I will eat 1200 calories everyday but if I eat even a little over that, I freak out and just binge. If I am exercising, I end up doing it like 3 hours a day or I just stop doing it all together.
If I start a diet and fall off the band wagon, I'll just completely give up instead of just starting over the next day.
I have been doing really good this time and I don't want my cycle to begin again. Does anybody else have this problem, and if so how do you control it?

Replies

• chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying. You have to make a promise with yourself that no matter how the day goes, you will log. The first step is just to enforce that behavior. Then over time you'll learn how to balance everything out. It's alright if you had a crap day, it sounds like you've had a pretty good run otherwise. Just a quick thing though, I don't suggest eating under 1200 calories. This could be the reason why you had the freak out.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I used to do that in my past, but not to the extreme you are speaking of. At my age now (48) I decided I don't want to "play" around anymore. I don't want to be fat, I'm done with that. I took off 43 lbs and nothing is going to make me "quit" and pack it back on. Not a binge, not binges, nothing. I started this quest about 6 months ago and for the first time, haven't done any crazy binging.
    I just woke up one day with my mind set to do this, take it off and keep it off.
    This is the first time I have had any aid and by that I mean My Fitness Pal.
    I think with this site, I can do it, and you can too.
    If you binge.. log it.. then it's there in your face to remind you what you did and then maybe you can just start logging back into good healthy meals that aren't off the wall.
    By the way, I think 1200 calories is too low for anyone and when you go that low, you are hungry.. every day and when you are hungry every day, you are more likely to go "off the wall" try upping your calorie intake to 1500, that might help.
  • AliceRabbit13
    AliceRabbit13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Especially when I'm working nights, I will have the urge to binge, I will even start to feel a little crazy and desperate. I have since made sure that if I'm going to binge, the only thing I can binge on is celery sticks or carrots...something where no matter how much i eat it won't mess up my goal. That and I stock up on a lot of protein to prevent meltdowns.

As far as all or nothing, I get that too. The 'Why bother, I just messed it all up' mentality. For that, I keep logging *no matter what* because I am human and I mess up. The habit of logging will eventually help you narrow down and eliminate excesses.

As Dory from 'Finding Nemo' says...

Just keep swimming!
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    The problem is, I know that. It doesn't help for me to know that this is unhealthy behavior. I do think your advice to log everything regardless of whether I go over my limit will help. I tend to log up to 1500 calories and anything beyond that I'm like, "well I know I went over my calorie limit. What's the point of logging it?"
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    When I'm logging my calories, for some reason I find it hard to reach 1200 calories. I feel like I'm eating all day. The problem is, the things I eat are so low calorie that I can eat all day and still be under 1200. I actually try to get to 1400 or so but usually end up just a little under 1200.
  • berry83sweet
    berry83sweet Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I feel like logging makes me think about food more and make excuses to eat more lol. I recently took a break but it hasn't harmed me because I'm making good choices and still losing weight. I plan to start logging again after the weekend.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have a serious issue with moderation control. I do everything in an all or nothing manner. I will eat 1200 calories everyday but if I eat even a little over that, I freak out and just binge. If I am exercising, I end up doing it like 3 hours a day or I just stop doing it all together.
    If I start a diet and fall off the band wagon, I'll just completely give up instead of just starting over the next day.
    I have been doing really good this time and I don't want my cycle to begin again. Does anybody else have this problem, and if so how do you control it?

I totally relate to this. I'm either all or nothing with practically everying. I'm either obsessively controlling or completely impulsive... I think it might actually be a personality disorder.

I have to step back and look at my behavior and tweak it sometimes because it can be hard to recognize. I make myself tone down my obsessive behavior sometimes. I might make myself skip a workout or do a short one. For things I am really compulsive about, I just try to limit my exposure and opportunity to engage in the behavior... which I guess is a kind of controlling obsessive way to handle it... but I guess that's the crux of the problem then, isn't it?
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I was very much like you. But now I'm so much more relaxed about this eating healthy stuff. I eat 1,600 calories a day or so and my job (unloading trucks, cleaning up stock) is enough exersize for me at the moment, plus the walk home.

Just remember that losing weight doesnt need to be super hard. You can indulge here and there. Just dont eat crap every day and keep a little active

Oh, and I'm still losing 1-2lbs a week ;)
  • LittleMissMarie87
    LittleMissMarie87 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Its just self discipline. I'm on a 1200 calorie diet, and I feel great. I guess it just depends on the person. You have to want to lose the weight. I know you can do it! :]
  • DrenRigs
    DrenRigs Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    eat anything you like dont deprive yourself its your weekly net calories that count dont go over that . some days eat over your daily intake or under eat whatever you like just keep under your weekly cals that will stop binging
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have this problem.

I tell myself it is twisted thinking (because it is. It's black and white - all or nothing outlook)

Ditch the diet mentality. You're making lifestyle changes.

Every time your thoughts go to that, challenge them.

Having a slip up, then telling myself I should just eat like crap the rest of the day because I already ruined it...is like accidentally dropping my cell phone on the side walk -- therefore telling myself I already dropped it.... might as well smash it to pieces now" lol.
  • DrenRigs
    DrenRigs Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    eat aaalll the foods you love
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    QUOTE:

I totally relate to this. I'm either all or nothing with practically everying. I'm either obsessively controlling or completely impulsive... I think it might actually be a personality disorder.

I have to step back and look at my behavior and tweak it sometimes because it can be hard to recognize. I make myself tone down my obsessive behavior sometimes. I might make myself skip a workout or do a short one. For things I am really compulsive about, I just try to limit my exposure and opportunity to engage in the behavior... which I guess is a kind of controlling obsessive way to handle it... but I guess that's the crux of the problem then, isn't it?

OH YES! I already know I am so OCD. I'm like that in all areas of my life too. I have gotten a lot better in every aspect though.
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    I'm sorry, I'm new to this posting thing. How do I quote someone else with the boxes separating them?
  • emmuci
    emmuci Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    hey, the same exact thing happened to me! But lately i've been focusing on trying not too binge when i slightly overeat. i mean it is better to eat 100 calories + than to eat 1000 calories plus. And now i came to have a bit more control over it :smile:
  • autumnwater
    autumnwater Posts: 449 Member
    Options

I totally hear you! I think it's a sign of perfectionism, actually. If you do something, you overcommit in a way that is unsustainable. Otherwise you are procrastinating because you fear not doing a good job.

I'm like you too. I haven't gotten my issue under control yet, but I was thinking maybe we could help motivate each other.. I think it'd be helpful to be able to tell others (e.g. you) that you are doing a good job when you are doing a good job. And on other days when I'm screwing up, I need to be confronted and be brought back to reality. Like today, I've been a very bad girl. I ate 1000+ calories over my goal (1400). o.o When I fall of the bandwagon like that, I need a slap on the wrist to remind myself why I am on this site.

Another thing that has helped me was to try reorganizing my social activities. Instead of having "coffee" or a "drink" with friends, I'm thinking of other ways to hang out with people that don't involve food. So far, I don't have too many ideas, but...haha, working out is a good one, I think. I'd be happy to hear your advice on this!
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    Haha. I want to reply to you guys but I haven't figured out how to do the quote box reply thingies.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Haha. I want to reply to you guys but I haven't figured out how to do the quote box reply thingies.

Under each post you will see the word QUOTE. Click it. Then that post will be quoted in your post.
  • justkeepswimng
    Options

Under each post you will see the word QUOTE. Click it. Then that post will be quoted in your post.

AH HAH! Check that out. I guess I just wasn't paying attention. Thanks!
  • justkeepswimng
    Options

I totally hear you! I think it's a sign of perfectionism, actually. If you do something, you overcommit in a way that is unsustainable. Otherwise you are procrastinating because you fear not doing a good job.

I know. I am a total perfectionist and when I can't be perfect, I just want to do nothing. It is a really bad and good personality trait. I am great at jobs and anything that involves work in any way. I am just not great at the reflective things.

I'm like you too. I haven't gotten my issue under control yet, but I was thinking maybe we could help motivate each other.. I think it'd be helpful to be able to tell others (e.g. you) that you are doing a good job when you are doing a good job. And on other days when I'm screwing up, I need to be confronted and be brought back to reality. Like today, I've been a very bad girl. I ate 1000+ calories over my goal (1400). o.o When I fall of the bandwagon like that, I need a slap on the wrist to remind myself why I am on this site.

Another thing that has helped me was to try reorganizing my social activities. Instead of having "coffee" or a "drink" with friends, I'm thinking of other ways to hang out with people that don't involve food. So far, I don't have too many ideas, but...haha, working out is a good one, I think. I'd be happy to hear your advice on this!

I am totally aware that I am a total OCD/perfectionist nut job. It is great in some ways and terrible in others.