Need help with use of soy milk in coffee

Options
On doctors orders I began to cut out milk and cheese about the same time as I began to count calories in my first organized attempt to lose weight slowly but steadily.

One result is that I've been using soy milk. No problems with taste, but I do have a problem with adding it to coffee. Sometimes the soy milk curdles. Well, I don't mean curdles in the same way as milk curdles when it goes bad. I just mean that it fails to dissolve properly in the coffee, which soon separates into a darker liquid (the original coffee I presume) and a sort of cloudy, grainy mixture, which must be the soy milk. This gradually sinks to the bottom and the taste of the coffee changes for the worse.

It doesn't happen all the time. It seems to happen more when the soy milk is poured into the coffee while it's still fairly hot, and sometimes it doesn't separate out at all, or at least not so much, if it's not stirred as soon as it is added. There may be some effect caused by sugar. I went without sugar at lunch today, and there was no separation.

I really can't figure it out. Is there anyone who can advise how to avoid this which, for want of a better word, I call "curdling" of the soy milk?

Replies

• kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I tend to go with soy milk every so often, just for a change. I find that you need to have the water you use for coffee or tea to be warm - not hot, else it definitely curdles the milk. Try putting the soy milk in first and adding the water afterwards.
  • Have you tried goats milk. Available in whole,semi skimmed and skimmed. I cant take dairy either but have had no problems with the goats milk.
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    I agree, I have to wait until it's not so hot to add soy milk. If I'm eating out and want a hot drink, sometimes I just order a soy cafe au lait or soy cappuccino, those come out fine :smile:
  • supercool111
    Options
    yeah I'm sure it's to do with the heat.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    It's probably to do with how soy milk is made. In summary, they grind up the beans and mix them with water...so the particles of the bean are in suspension in the water (rather than dissolved in it), and they can settle from or split from the water really easily...which is why you have to shake soy milk so well before pouring. I can't stand the stuff...it always tastes gritty to me...it would make sense that the heat from the drink could split it, as other posters have said. Could you put skimmed milk in your drinks instead? It has hardly any fat and probably wouldn't make much impact on your diet.

Erika
  • Roger_Williams
    Roger_Williams Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Have you tried goats milk. Available in whole,semi skimmed and skimmed. I cant take dairy either but have had no problems with the goats milk.

I wouldn't mind trying goat's milk, as I quite like goat cheese, but it's almost impossible to get here in Japan in any form, whole or skimmed..
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Soy milk always does that to me unless I let the coffee cool a bit...also there is a soy creamer that I've used that doesn't seem to have the same problems. You could also try almond milk (very tasty).
  • Roger_Williams
    Options
    Thanks, Kendle. I also found that putting the soy milk in the cup first and slowly adding the coffee after letting it stand and cool for a while sometimes seemed to help avoid this curdling. I'll just keep trying. I do think sugar has something to do with it, though. At lunch time today I tried coffee without sugar (some great Cona beans we bought when we were in Hawaii at the new year). This coffee is on the sweet side to start with, so I managed to drink it without sugar. I couldn't drink espresso this evening without sugar, though. <sigh>
  • Roger_Williams
    Options
    Thanks, MaidofAstolat,

Hmmm. Soy creamer? Almond milk? Must keep an eye out for those. Haven't noticed them anywhere, but then I wasn't looking.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Thanks, MaidofAstolat,

Hmmm. Soy creamer? Almond milk? Must keep an eye out for those. Haven't noticed them anywhere, but then I wasn't looking.

Since you're in Japan they might be rather difficult to find. I use the Silk brand (but I live in the US).
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I make lattes every morning with almond milk. I like it so much better than soy or rice milk. It's so close to the real thing, and when I use the chocolate I feel like I'm getting a super decadent treat. If you can't find it almond milk in japan, it's pretty easy to make yourself from what I've heard here on MFP. I want to try it myself. This is the link I've bookmarked for when I do:

http://www.noveleats.com/drinks/raw-homemade-almond-milk/