Working out After Illness?- Help!!

Options
Hi all,
Looking for some advice,, I've recently started exercising (8 weeks ago), and doing a couch to jogging programme, which was going well. However, I've picked up a chest infection and can't even walk around the house at the minute. I'm conscious that I will be losing my fitness levels while I'm sick, just wondering, how long should I wait before getting back out to jogging? Is there anything I can do to help keep my fitness from dropping too much? I'm just so disheartened that I've worked consistently to get my fitness up and was really starting to feel the benefit, and don't want to have to start from scratch again!

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Replies

• cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    General advice is the neck down rule:
    If your symptoms are below the neck ie: chesty cough then lay off the exercise and concentrate on getting better
    If your symptoms are above the neck ie: blocked/runny nose then a gentle workout should be fine

Hope you feel better soon
  • edelq
    edelq Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks!! Guess I just have to rest so,, I can't believe this, I'm actually itching to get out for a jog,, 8 weeks ago I was dragging myself off the couch to even go for a walk!
  • AProkop
    AProkop Posts: 7
    Options
    I am going through something similar but not nearly as serious. I have had to wait to exercise due to wisdom teeth being removed and I am itching to get back into the swing of things. I think it is funny how one can go from barely exercising and then craving the workout after it is routine.