Please tell me all of your favorite side dishes!

Options
2»

Replies

• cindydufield
    cindydufield Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ok i hope every one that replied can read this one... it is soooooo good.

fresh veggies cut bite size , we use onion ,red pepper, and green peppers, green beans, broccolli, what ever you like put it all in a zip loc bag - heres the trick, one packet of dry good seasons italian dressing, just dry sprinkle it in. that is it let it sit in the bag for a couple of ours if not over night you will notice water in the bag as the veggies sweat put on pan and roast till done they are the best!!
  • cindydufield
    cindydufield Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ok my second and third is spaghetti sgash and reg butternut squash but in half put on a plate spraybutter and salt and pepper to take put saran wrap on it and put in micro for about 12 minutes - test for done, i dont even take out the seeds till it is done this is easier..
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I really love zucchini. I could eat it every day. I just cube it up, toss it in the pan with a spray of EVOO, and add spices. I like to add garlic, onion powder, chili flakes, and I have others that I add if I feel up to it (curry, Italian seasoning, cumin). I often add baby portobello mushrooms to this as well.

I have an acorn squash in the fridge I'm dying to cook. I looked up a good recipe. You'll have to google it, but I can give you the gist: cut in half and remove seeds, score the flesh, add a splash of EVOO and add salt and pepper. Then you can sprinkle on brown sugar or maple syrup (or both! :bigsmile: ) and roast in the oven until tender. You can do the same with butternut squash.

I am also a fan of the "Steamers" vegetables. Tonight I had one called Basil Vegetable Medley, which had cauliflower, snow peas, and carrots in a light basil sauce. I have also gotten plain and added my own seasoning, and I have gotten the broccoli and cheese.

Tonight I made sauteed rosemary balsamic cherry tomatoes: coat tomatoes in EVOO and add salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, and chili flakes, toss to coat. Cook in a sautee pan on medium heat until they burst. Then put a splash of balsamic vinegar over the tomatoes, heat briefly, and serve. They were tastyyyyy
  • asnail
    asnail Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sounds so good. How much rice and broth do you use?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    spinach casserole:
    frozen spinach thawed and pat-dry
    1/2 cup of cottage cheese
    1 egg

mix together and bake for 20 minutes. YUM!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Made this last night. Have no idea of the caloric or nutritional content.

Cut an acorn squash in half. Seeded. Brushed with olive oil and baked at 350 for 20 minutes.

Made a mixture:
    -1/2 cup shrimp
    - 1/2 already baked potato (leftovers)
    -3 chopped green onions
    -1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    -chopped cilantro
    -rosemary
    -garlic
    -montreal steak seasoning

Pulled the acorn squash out, stuffed the mixture inside. baked for another 20 minutes.

It was delicious
  • andnothinghurt
    Options
    i make these "spanish veggies" alot and they are awesome.
    you can use mostly any veggies you like but what i usually do is take some pre cooked potatoes and sautee them for a bit, add bell peppers, onions, asparagus, green beans..let that cook up, add lime juice, adobo seasoning, and this other seasoning called sazon (you can find it at regular supermarkets- its goya- and yes its bright orange -dont let the color scare you) stir it up and let it cook for a few mins...its SO SO good!!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    My grandma used to make something called Scalloped Tomatoes, below is my (slightly) healthier version... I don't measure when I cook, so amounts are guesstimates, adjust to taste. :bigsmile:
    We always eat this with baked chicken and a green salad.

1 - 28oz can stewed tomatoes (no salt if you can get them!)
    1/2 of an onion diced up (about 1/2 cup?)
    1tsp crushed garlic (I usually use a lot more, I :heart: garlic)
    2T olive oil (enough to saute the onion until soft) - grandma used butter
    1T brown sugar (I use a little less)
    1tsp Italian Seasoning (unless you bought the italian tomatoes)
    pepper to taste
    2 big handfuls cubed bread (I use stale italian bread, but feel free to use whatever you have - slightly stale works better) - grandma also sauted these bread cubes in more butter :laugh:
    Unseasoned breadcrumbs - about 1/4 cup?
    Saute Onion and garlic in a little olive oil until soft. Add bread chunks and stir around to soak up any olive oil extras. Mix in can of tomatoes (undrained!), seasoning, pepper and brown sugar. Pour into baking dish and sprinkle top lightly with breadcrumbs.
    Bake for about 30 min or until bubbly.

Feel free to add whatever you like to this - crushed red pepper, fresh basil, maybe a sprinkle of fresh parm cheese... ?