Weight Gain?!?

Options
Hi I have just started working out in the gym this last three weeks. I do an hour in the gym of proper work out training ( got a programme from the instructor) and about 20mins continuous swimming, I watch what I eat and I am never over my daily allowences..... How is it possible that I have gained a few pound?!? Any ideas!! :) thanks

Replies

• laurenbausch
    Options
    Me toooo! It's so frustrating! It could be muscle though. . .I have no idea what my body fat percentage is, so mine might be muscle as well. I don't eat crap, but I gained 2 pounds overnight! I quit smoking, and I've started gaining weight! UGGHHH! Bikini time is around the corner too. . .:frown:
  • heathercolem
    Options
    Don't get too hung up on the weight on the scale. Are your clothes fitting better? Do you see some improvement somewhere? Weight fluctuates for many reasons so don't get discouraged.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem. I gained 3 pounds since last week and ive been eating good and going to the gym. And NO my clothes are not fitting any differently.
  • kajaknowers
    kajaknowers Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    yesterday i went on the scale and somehow gained 2 lbs overnight but over speculation altho I didnt go over my calorie intake, I had some bacon which has a high level of sodium so if you think u might be consuming too much salt try changing it as yesterday then I simply ate very fresh things and the weight dropped back to the level it was before the day after x
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I doubt it is muscle. Sorry. But 3 weeks just isn't long enough for that to be the explanation. My guess is water retention.
    Don't worry too much about it. Give it a few more weeks and see if you start seeing results.
    Are you logging your exercise and eating back any of the calories?
    Also are you keeping track of your measurements along with your weight?
    If you stick with it you will see results. I know it is frustrating but it will just take some time.
  • tinabosquez
    tinabosquez Posts: 107
    Options
    The same thing happens to me when I start working, when I haven't in a long time. When I was going to weight watchers, they told me it takes a few weeks for your body to adjust to working out again. It took me 3 weeks to lose, when I worked out every single day and ate right. My fingers are crossed, that you will be down in lbs next week.
  • Desiderata
    Options
    weight gain has to do with a numerous amount of things, such as water weight, muscle mass, bones, blood, soft tissues, the undigested food in your stomach, constipation, etc. if you've eaten a big meal the night before, that "overnight weight gain" probably had something to do with how big your dinner was the night before.

The scale's numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. you should consider how your clothes are fitting, how do you look, how do you feel? Those are more accurate measurements than the number on your scale.