Pain in the.... butt. Can I work out before I see doctor?

Options
Uh oh. Was pretty sedentary during Sandy because my gym was turned into a shelter and I got really lazy about finding alternatives. Not too surprisingly, I gained weight over the month which has probably contributed to the problem - I now weigh the same as when I started on MFP... GRRRRRRR!
When I went back to the gym about 2 weeks ago, I overdid it on the elliptical and the recumbent and have had pretty distracting pain for about 10 days. At first I thought I could just work through it and I didn't give myself any rest between workouts. As a result, I am now at the point where the pain has started to move into my lower back: time to see the doctor!!! I have an appointment on Monday.
But I am going NUTS from the inactivity! I am doing gentle stretching and abs. I am thinking of taking a restorative yoga class on Sunday and walking on the treadmill.
Aside from naproxin and a heating pad, any thoughts on how I can get through the weekend.
Thanks!

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I've always been told to alternate ice packs with heat packs. The 'shocks' get the blood circulating quicker and speeds up the healing process :flowerforyou:
  • Rita_Rocker
    Rita_Rocker Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try heat, then ice, then heat, then ice. Maybe muscle relaxers or whatever your doctor recommends. Strained muscle can also cause muscle spasms that make you think the pain is in another spot now....good luck.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am going to try this TODAY! Meanwhile, getting really crabby and mean from lack of exercise. :angry:
  • ewells2420
    Options
    You might want to look into your food/calorie intake. I say this without knowing anything about you, or your situation so take it with a grain of salt. But you shouldnt be gaining any weight if your diet is proper. Even with a lack of excersise. And also yeah always listen to your body when it comes to pain as there is a difference between just being sore and actual pain.

Good luck with the doctors appointment and hope all is well.
  • Jeneba
    Options
    Thanks! There is no mystery about the weight gain! Many people in the areas hurt by Sandy turned to FOOD for comfort and didn't have access to regular activities. :embarassed:
  • jdudley1019
    Options
    I have been doing P90X or circuit training workouts for 270 days now, and I have 2 "back days" a week. With this I've found that back pain (especially lower back pain) comes with the territory. Thanks to my cousin I got this cylinder that has solved all my problems. In your sporting goods store, they should have these large foam cylinders that you put on the floor, lay on it, and roll your back on. This thing is AMAZING!! Takes every little kink out of your back and realigns your spine. Better than a deep tissue massage!! My lower back was a pain but now if I start to get the slightest pain I roll on that foam cylinder and I feel like brand new!
  • Jeneba
    Options
    WOW! Saw these in the gym this afternoon & didn't know what they are for! Thanks!!!
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Good Luck on Monday! I agree, the foam roller helps....however when you use the roller it is normal for you to feel some discomfort when you use one, but if you keep using it , it does help! I invested in my own, I use it all the time. this week while doing some variations of crunches, I had a horrible cramp in my thighe....my Trainer took a wood stick like a broom handle and rolled it over my leg and put pressure on it at the same time....hurt like heck but it did relieve the tension in the muscle.

I would think Yoga may feel good unless it is something you do not normally do.

Take Care!
  • chanellenoble
    chanellenoble Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Stretch stretch stretch! if it is your butt try this:

Lie down on the floor and bring your feet close to your butt so that you have a nice bend in your legs. Lift your left leg up and place your ankle on the knee of the right leg. Try to push your left knee out so that your leg is on one plane. You should start to feel a stretch but to increase this slide your right leg closer to your but, or grab your right thigh in your hands and pull it towards your upper body.

I'm agreeing that the roller works wonders. I chronically dislocate my knee, and it has resulted in my outer thigh being tighter than a rock. Rolling on the roller brings tears to my eyes some days, but boy does it work. You only need to spend 5 minutes every day to feel a difference.

Make sure that you stretch the muscles that you feel pain in before and after a work out so that you don't get yourself into this situation again :)
  • Jeneba
    Options
    Thank you so much!!!! I will try the roller this afternoon and go to the restorative yoga class too!
  • Jeneba
    Options
    Tried the roller this afternoon - WOW!!!!!!! I just ordered one from Amazon! This is fantastic! Thank you!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    chances are, unless you have a pre-existing injury, it's not actually an injury. You probably have tight muscles. When my butt mucles tighten up, I can literally feel a knot of muscles if i feel around in my *kitten* cheeks. this pulls on your back, and creates pain in your lower back - i know this because I experience this. I also get knots in my calves, and my IT bands tighten up - all pulling on my back. invest in a foam roller. Oh and rest days are 100% necessary.
  • Jeneba
    Options
    Thank you, Mary Meadows! So sorry to hear that you, too, are familiar with the REAL meaning of Pain in the Butt.... OUCH!!!! This hasn't been an issue for me until now - it's a brand new world after Sandy! I am sure this has happened because of the extended inactivity and weight gain. But that ROLLER - I am telling you (even though you already know) it is like MAGIC!
  • Jeneba
    Options
    OK - got the diagnosis: "proximal hamstring tendinopathy," tendinitis. Probably due to jumping right back on to the elliptical after 3 weeks of inactivity & no muscle-building exercise in lower body. The treatment? Ice and FOAM ROLLER! Thanks to everyone for the support!
  • Jeneba
    Options
    SOME day I will learn how to spell. TENDONitis.