Sugars?

Options
Do you all count your sugars.. Good or Bad.

Replies

• fitness4120
    fitness4120 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am not counting my sugers at this point, but I try to stay away from foods and drinks that are high in suger, such as cokes, candy etc. Your fruits will have natural sugers and are ok to eat as long as you do not eat alot. If I eat fruit i usually eat it early during the day so that they burn off before going to bed. Can you post you goals and the kind of sugers you are eating?
  • knucklescasey
    Options
    My goal is to be 125 now i am 161.. as of right now the only sugar that i am taking in is from fruits and stuff like that... and coca-cola.
  • fitness4120
    Options
    how many cokes are you drinking a day? Are you still logging in your foods?
  • knucklescasey
    Options
    no i not logging in my foods yet.. and i am drinking diet coke.. so no sugar , just artificial. and like i have a really good reciepe that i love for Berry 'Nana Oatmeal Parfiats.. and its only 100 cals but 21g of sugar. thats the type of stuff im asking about.
  • fitness4120
    Options
    I would suggest that you log your food for the next week. This will help you see exactly what you are taking in. Then you can see where you need to go
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    My advice is to kick the diet Coke habit. Diet sodas have aspartame, which is a sugar substitute and linked to cancer. It also affects the body negatively in that it makes you hungrier...I don't know the exact science behind it, but if you do a google search you can find it. You're almost better off drinking regular Coke.

I gave up soda altogether, but it's all up to you. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My advice is to kick the diet Coke habit. Diet sodas have aspartame, which is a sugar substitute and linked to cancer. It also affects the body negatively in that it makes you hungrier...I don't know the exact science behind it, but if you do a google search you can find it. You're almost better off drinking regular Coke.

I gave up soda altogether, but it's all up to you. :)

The link to cancer - there is no reputable study that has shown a causation in humans

The hunger - it depends on the individual as to whether it satisfies or creates sugar cravings

OP: Sugar is just a subset of carbs and unless you have a medical condition, there is no reason to track separately.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I only track calories.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Track your macro nutrients (fat, carbs, protein)
    Stop the soda! Try water and tea. If you need flavor in your water? try MiO.
    Avoid HFCS!
    Watch the simple carbs...

Unless you are a diabetic (like me) no need to track sugars as long as they are from fruits/veggies.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

No. And what's good sugar and bad sugar by the way? All carbs get broken down to glucose by your body.
  • knucklescasey
    Options
    What they consider as good sugar is fruits/ veggies things like that.. and bad sugars are pop, candy and all that..
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    What they consider as good sugar is fruits/ veggies things like that.. and bad sugars are pop, candy and all that..

Why so much hate
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    No context or dosage, so you can't draw any type of conclusion. Of course if someone is getting a whopping amount of calories through sugar, that needs to be addressed.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

No. And what's good sugar and bad sugar by the way? All carbs get broken down to glucose by your body.

Good sugars are church going and bad sugars are gangstas. I hope that clears it up!
  • broodmom
    Options
    I have to, I'm diabetic. But, seriously I count carbs and stay on a measured carb diet, about 1500 cals, 50 g carb per meal with 15 carb snacks between. Helps me stay away from empty carbs that are mostly sugar because they spike my blood sugar then drop it quickly, and I get hungry too fast. High fiber breads, most fruits, stuff like that stay with you longer and help you get through the day. Also, an awful lot of sugary stuff also has extra fat, not great for losing weight.

So yes, even for non-diabetics, watching sugars helps you stay on your eating plan. I also add a handful of nuts a couple of times a day to add a little protein and some "good" fats/omega oils.
  • knucklescasey
    Options

Why so much hate

there was no hate invloved.. i was just saying what the nutritionist told me about bad sugar and good sugar.
  • knucklescasey
    Options
    I have to, I'm diabetic. But, seriously I count carbs and stay on a measured carb diet, about 1500 cals, 50 g carb per meal with 15 carb snacks between. Helps me stay away from empty carbs that are mostly sugar because they spike my blood sugar then drop it quickly, and I get hungry too fast. High fiber breads, most fruits, stuff like that stay with you longer and help you get through the day. Also, an awful lot of sugary stuff also has extra fat, not great for losing weight.

So yes, even for non-diabetics, watching sugars helps you stay on your eating plan. I also add a handful of nuts a couple of times a day to add a little protein and some "good" fats/omega oils.

thank you for the advice. i really appreciate it. some people count the sugars and i was just wondering if you lose more by counting the sugars or not.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Posted this in another sugar thread 5 minutes ago.......

I am a Type 2 Diabetic

Never tracked a single gram of sugar over the last 41 months and have managed to drop a few pounds.... Concentrate on your calorie intake and your main macros (Protein, Fat, and Carbs) and let the rest fall in line. I still put 2 scoops of Domino Pure cane sugar in my coffee every morning for breakfast.....

And I don't buy the scare mongers and there aspartame fears, I drink 2 to 3 Diet Pepsi's a day (still get in over 100 ounces of water on top of that) and it has done nothing to hinder my weight loss or my blood sugar numbers...
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I count calories. I worry about meeting my protein macro first, fat second and my carbs are what they are for the day. I don't worry about sugars at all.
    I feel bad for people that do....no way to live, IMO.