I want to talk about WEDDINGS!

Options
2»

Replies

• faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My wife was relentless over these things and I totally didnt get it and stayed out of the way so she could have the dream day she wanted. My personal opinion is the best wedding to have is a destination style (ie, double the honeymoon time)....thats a win win for everyone! Have fun and congratulations!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Mine is coming in August of 2013 and I know I annoy my fiance with all the details. So, someone, anyone, talk to me!

color schemes I had lavender and silver

centerpieces; something short

flower types lavender and cream roses trust your florist at your waist where you hold your flowers, you want it to be about 1/3 width of your body for symmetry

wedding dress styles
    Try on every. single. style. put aside an entire afternoot to try on each and every single one. THEN chose a style. I accidentally did this. dragged into it, actually. I pickeda much better style than what I wanted.
    runners/tablecloths/napkins
    Go beige

food/menus
    Simple. No arugula salads, no fancy *kitten* your parents have never had!
    All of it. I want to chat about things that matter to the bride but rarely matter to anyone else!

Thenknot.com is great, but makes this board look like a walk in the park on a perfect summer day in the best park in the world. really. They bring snark to a whole new level!!

Register for the best knives.

Cake; go cake tasting, ask for italian (european) buttercream frosting. to die for, not as sickly sweet. Have different flavored layers, not everyone like chocolate.

You don't need to break the bank.
    If you need links for anything, I still have a lot of bookmarks for stuff like 120 votives for $20, crap like that.

and if you're on a budget for photographer, check the your local fb group for them.. you can find some decent people.
  • kmorg22
    kmorg22 Posts: 180
    Options
    first one was a total disaster!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure I will ever do it again.....but Congrats to you and hope you have a everything you want!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Mine is coming in August of 2013 and I know I annoy my fiance with all the details. So, someone, anyone, talk to me!

color schemes I had lavender and silver

centerpieces; something short

flower types lavender and cream roses trust your florist at your waist where you hold your flowers, you want it to be about 1/3 width of your body for symmetry

wedding dress styles
    Try on every. single. style. put aside an entire afternoot to try on each and every single one. THEN chose a style. I accidentally did this. dragged into it, actually. I pickeda much better style than what I wanted.
    Go beige

food/menus
    Simple. No arugula salads, no fancy *kitten* your parents have never had!
    All of it. I want to chat about things that matter to the bride but rarely matter to anyone else!

Thenknot.com is great, but makes this board look like a walk in the park on a perfect summer day in the best park in the world. really. They bring snark to a whole new level!!

Register for the best knives.

Cake; go cake tasting, ask for italian (european) buttercream frosting. to die for, not as sickly sweet. Have different flavored layers, not everyone like chocolate.

You don't need to break the bank.
    If you need links for anything, I still have a lot of bookmarks for stuff like 120 votives for $20, crap like that.

and if you're on a budget for photographer, check the your local fb group for them.. you can find some decent people.

I'd love love love love love all of your links for cheap stuff! :)
    Options

color schemes

centerpieces

flower types

wedding dress styles

food/menus

The first you need to consider is your budget. I always feel that it's imperative you have 2 budgets. The first is the amount you disclose to your wedding planner (the lower budget). The 2nd is your absolute cap budget. Some people like to think that a 1/4 of your budget should go towards your dress, but I always feel that it's more important for the bride to be happy in what she's wearing and for many modern brides its rarely about the price point - but her sense of style.

I am not the sort who likes to be involved in the minute developments and details for the day - the rehersals - the engagement party - the bridal shower - the buck's party - the groomsmen's gifts/the groom's cake, the bridesmaids gifts. the bridal cake .... I understand it's a whole lot to consider and put together. When it's my time - I'm taking the easy way out - I'm calling Preston - I'll give him my vision/my man's vision (if he has any) and then bang - let's do it lol

What colours do you like? If you were to think of a central theme - what would it be? Where would it be? Because once you've established that, then it will be easier to walk through it with you. For example - I love Russian winters, so my dream wedding would be to have one of the rooms - I don't know which of the rooms should be decked out - reminiscent of a Russian winter only indoors. Then you also have to consider the time of the day - you'd rather marry. Breakfast is always cheap for catering purposes. A dinner menu is the most dear.

Okay ... For now :)

okay so I was thinking something like this...

green-with-black-and-white-damask-table-hostess-with-the-mostest.jpg

Except the tablecloth would be teal.

So, I'm tossing around ideas about whether the chair covers should be white or black and with black, white, or teal sashes. White would have black or teal and black would have white or teal.

I'm not sure how much teal is too much and how much is enough. Also, napkins..black or teal?
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

So, I'm tossing around ideas about whether the chair covers should be white or black and with black, white, or teal sashes. White would have black or teal and black would have white or teal.

I'm not sure how much teal is too much and how much is enough. Also, napkins..black or teal?

With teal, it really depends on how much you like the colour - teal. You could go big with the teal and your 2nd bold colour should be white and the black should be the splash. Think 40% - 40% - 20% or play around with the percentages to suit your end vision. I myself prefer center pieces to drop from the ceilings, so as to give more talking room and space for mobility for guests.

I'd go with more white and less black@serviettes - along the lines of the beige suggested above.

Edit: I'm superstitious - where I'm from - no hydrangeas. Those are things you should consider - the little things which represent you and him as subtle features to be inculcated into the decor or wherever else. @teal again - there's always mood lighting.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    spend the $$ on a photographer and videographer - I saw many things I missed on that wonderful day because they captured it all! if you don't hire a wedding planner, at least get a "month-of" coordinator - they'll go to your appointments with you (or for you), fix any fires (there will be fires), and take care of things behind the scenes that may have freaked you out! mine cost $1,000 and I would have paid a million for her, I swear :) try not to worry too much about all of the little details - they'll fall into place, and if they don't, it won't matter at the end of the day because you'll be married to freddie! and last thing - don't put too much pressure on yourself to get the perfect body. you are beautiful exactly as you are and freddie loves you no matter what <3
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    :heart: Whose wedding is it anyways- on Netflix (don't know if it's on Hulu or not. Tons of ideas!

Congratulations:flowerforyou:
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Sophia Tolli has amazing wedding dresses, and priced very well. You should Google them if you have the chance. Congratulations!!!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

color schemes

centerpieces

flower types

wedding dress styles

food/menus

The first you need to consider is your budget. I always feel that it's imperative you have 2 budgets. The first is the amount you disclose to your wedding planner (the lower budget). The 2nd is your absolute cap budget. Some people like to think that a 1/4 of your budget should go towards your dress, but I always feel that it's more important for the bride to be happy in what she's wearing and for many modern brides its rarely about the price point - but her sense of style.

I am not the sort who likes to be involved in the minute developments and details for the day - the rehersals - the engagement party - the bridal shower - the buck's party - the groomsmen's gifts/the groom's cake, the bridesmaids gifts. the bridal cake .... I understand it's a whole lot to consider and put together. When it's my time - I'm taking the easy way out - I'm calling Preston - I'll give him my vision/my man's vision (if he has any) and then bang - let's do it lol

What colours do you like? If you were to think of a central theme - what would it be? Where would it be? Because once you've established that, then it will be easier to walk through it with you. For example - I love Russian winters, so my dream wedding would be to have one of the rooms - I don't know which of the rooms should be decked out - reminiscent of a Russian winter only indoors. Then you also have to consider the time of the day - you'd rather marry. Breakfast is always cheap for catering purposes. A dinner menu is the most dear.

So the black and white runner with black plates over a teal table cloth?
    Are your wedding colors teal and black or?
    **I'm assuming you're having a reception dinner? check with your caterer before you get set on table cloths and such. specific style table cloths might run you a lottttt extra!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I love Weddings, planned my own and my Daughter got married this year and planned hers, which was on a very tight budget, and it was gorgeous. will put up pictures if you like.........
    Options
    I love Weddings, planned my own and my Daughter got married this year and planned hers, which was on a very tight budget, and it was gorgeous. will put up pictures if you like.........

I would VERY much like! If you don't mind me asking...what was her budget? How many guests? What state are you in?
    Options

color schemes

centerpieces

flower types

wedding dress styles

food/menus

So the black and white runner with black plates over a teal table cloth?
    Are your wedding colors teal and black or?
    **I'm assuming you're having a reception dinner? check with your caterer before you get set on table cloths and such. specific style table cloths might run you a lottttt extra!

I plan to purchase the tablecloths myself. Actually thinking of changing the colors again (oops) to pale green, black, and white because the centerpieces are easier with those colors.
    Options
    spend the $$ on a photographer and videographer - I saw many things I missed on that wonderful day because they captured it all! if you don't hire a wedding planner, at least get a "month-of" coordinator - they'll go to your appointments with you (or for you), fix any fires (there will be fires), and take care of things behind the scenes that may have freaked you out! mine cost $1,000 and I would have paid a million for her, I swear :) try not to worry too much about all of the little details - they'll fall into place, and if they don't, it won't matter at the end of the day because you'll be married to freddie! and last thing - don't put too much pressure on yourself to get the perfect body. you are beautiful exactly as you are and freddie loves you no matter what <3

You're too sweet.
  • karenjoy
    Options

I would VERY much like! If you don't mind me asking...what was her budget? How many guests? What state are you in?

Umm England...is that still OK?

I made the table centre pieces with silk flower so I could do them well in advance, they cost loads less to do myself than get someone to make them

watch?v=HwHyuraau4Q

got this made for her on ebay as her something blue and gave it to her on her wedding day

396549_10150645719608769_1836338472_n.jpg

her dress and the bridesmaids dress were a BARGAIN from light in the box, totally amazing value, recommend it and its worth the little extra to get it made to measure, Her dress was stunning, this does not do it justice and she is heavily pregnant lol
    I made the two bouquets from silk flowers too, as well as the button holes, you would never know

419778_10151632467245413_1037285340_n.jpg

she got married on a weekday, it was cheaper, they had a package with the venue, room for ceremony, reception drink for 40 people, three course meal for 40 with a glass of wine or soft drink, and a glass of champagne for the toast, the evening disco and a room for the night for the couple for £1999.00 and her dress was £125 and we got SO many things from ebay and a lot of it was pre owned, but hardly worn, so a bargain, like the veil, which was £9. Her whole budget was £5000 and she came in at less than £4000.

my Wedding was WAY more expensive, but I did a lot myself and so it felt even more expensive than it was

10528_157978418768_7734577_n.jpg
    loved my giant table plan, we have it in our den on the back of the door, it was a real talking piece

16560_194340033768_6672209_n.jpg

my dress was designed and made for me, and my veil was made to match, it had tiny jewels on the edge, we got married in a church, and it obviously was a more traditional wedding

16560_194340298768_3877510_n.jpg

16560_194340433768_5037373_n.jpg
    Options
    @Karenjoy--you're really talented! Those flowers look AMAZING. Where did you buy them? How did you know how to arrange them, tie them, and make em all pretty?
  • cgilles9
    cgilles9 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

color schemes

centerpieces

flower types

wedding dress styles

food/menus

That's one lucky guy!
    Do you have any single sisters by chance?? :flowerforyou:
  • karenjoy
    Options
    @Karenjoy--you're really talented! Those flowers look AMAZING. Where did you buy them? How did you know how to arrange them, tie them, and make em all pretty?

thank you, I got them in a local store that sells silk flowers, I just bundled them together with an elastic band and just kept adding more and altering them until I was happy, they added some fake green stuff, and then put more elastic round and covered then stems by wrapping a ribbon around it all, I also got some pears mounted on wire that I poked in too, from ebay, its not hard, I allowed lots of time to do it, so I was not rushed or panicked into not doing it nicely. Time is the key, allow yourself enough time
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I got married in 2005 (november on a STRICT budget without help)

color schemes --we went with red and white for not reason really, just looked pretty- i WISH i had went with fall colors- oranges, reds, greens.

centerpieces -- no centerpieces. - IF i had them I would of used vases with floating candles and lit up tree branches and a couple flowers through out.

flower types --cheap, fake roses from Dollar Store --WISH I had used real flowers.

wedding dress styles - I chose a $100 white, basic prom dress. I WISH i had worn my grandmas dress. :(

runners/tablecloths/napkins - I went to Party Source and got cheapy things. I WISH I used the dishware from the church.

food/menus - Hubbys grandma made the food because we had the reception there. I WISH she had made the food and brought it to the church.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Im happy i married my husband dont get me wrong but i regret just about everything of my wedding day. It was NOTHING that i wanted. Dont make the same mistake.
    Options

color schemes

centerpieces

flower types

wedding dress styles

food/menus

That's one lucky guy!
    Do you have any single sisters by chance?? :flowerforyou:

Thank you! Nope, none that you'd want at least.