Easy Vegetarian Meals!!

Options
pinkgiraffes
pinkgiraffes Posts: 3 Member
HELP! I am the only vegetarian in my family and i never know what to make! I need some easy meals that do not include any meat (chicken, pork etc.) or seafood.

Replies

• blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i eat a lot of rice/veggie mixtures and stir frys. just make some brown rice and cook some vegetables like brocoli, peppers, onion, mushrooms and then mix that with the rice and add some seasoning. i also like to cut up red potatos and cook those in the wok with a bunch of different vegetables. both are really easy and filling.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    HELP! I am the only vegetarian in my family and i never know what to make! I need some easy meals that do not include any meat (chicken, pork etc.) or seafood.

I am the only vegetarian also most of the time i just eat cereal. Sometimes I cook rice and peas with vegetables, Pasta/Pasta noodles with tomato sauce no cheese, Rice stir-fry with cooked tofu, Big baked tomato, Chinese noodles stir-fry, Baby spinach salad with tomatos and peppers.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian is easy, just google - or borrow some recipe books from library? try & get Alison and Simon Holst's Very Easy Vegetarian Cookbook. (I just googled and they have a new one The Ultimate Vegetarian Collection)

Try
    http://www.sanitarium.com.au/recipes
    http://www.theveggietable.com/
    http://www.vegalicious.org/

Beans & lentils - amazing, healthy, tasty, cheap - even non-vegetarians will come back for some!

If you are not vegan, then you can have cheese (check no rennet), eggs, dairy, etc

We were vegetarian for a couple of years - found loads of really interesting recipes. Couldn't bring myself to tofu tho :noway:
  • jmbond06
    jmbond06 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of Mexican type food and just use refried beans instead of meat. Taco salad, burritos, tostadas, nachos, etc. I really like making burritos with refried beans, bell pepper, onion, lettuce, and salsa. Or cheese quesadillas. Yumm.
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have an easy black bean recipe I love. I am not a vegitarian....but my husband doesn't eat beef and my son recently decided that he doesn't like chicken and I don't like fish....so finding items that make everyone happy is always my goal. I simplify it and throw everything in at once...I don't always have time to satuee the onions etc. sometimes I leave out the quinoa. I never add the corn or the cilantro (just because they aren't staples I keep on hand).

from Allrecipe.com

Original recipe makes 10 servingsChange Servings
    1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    2 cups water

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    2 (19 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1 zucchini, chopped
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    1 tablespoon minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    salt and ground black pepper to taste
    1 cup frozen corn
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Check All Add to Shopping List
    Directions

Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes; set aside.
    Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin; cook and stir 1 minute to release the flavors. Stir in the tomatoes, black beans, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, zucchini, jalapeno pepper, chipotle pepper, and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
    After 20 minutes, stir in the reserved quinoa and corn. Cook to reheat the corn for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, and stir in the cilantro to serve.
    Kitchen-Friendly View
    PREP
    30 mins
    COOK
    30 mins
    READY IN
    1 hr
  • pinkgiraffes
    pinkgiraffes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My quick fix vegetarian meals for this season:
    a) Any winter squash microwaved or roasted with or without cinnamon
    b) Beans with chopped tomatoes, (onion, garlic, cilantro, lemon, cheese are optional and awesome)
    c) Microwaved or baked sweet potatoes, sunchokes.
    d) Blanched greens with lemon and salt :smile:

My not so quick-fix vegetarian meals for this season: (I will give just a basic ideas- all recipes can be found online)
    a) Palak-tofu (It is an Indian dish but with tofu instead of Indian cheese): Basically the recipe goes like this- boil and sort of blend spinach at keep aside. Saute onion, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes and peas (if you want more veggies- which I DO :smile: ), tofu, and Indian spices. Mix the boiled blended spinach with the sautéed stuff. (you can find more elaborate and well written recipes online)
    b) Chickpea curry
    c) Lentil curry
    d) Any bean curry
    e) Saute all the awesome veggies together (try different combinations with veggies and spices- some combinations are just too good!)

Hope you have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I love-:heart:

2 cups broccoli
    1 dole pineapple fruit cup in juice
    1 cup Quorn Chicken (veg)
    green onion

1bsp lite soy sauce
    crushed red pepper to taste(I like lots)
    2 tbsp water
    2-3 packets of splenda

Steam or stirfry in cooking spray first 4 ingredients. combine ingredients to sauce and then add to pan. Keep stirring until moisture is evaporated or absorbed. So yummy! I also make it with green beans w/o pineapple.

230 cals
  • XxBrightsidexX
    Options
    I have been vegan my whole like becuase of my Pku. So i have alot of recipies !! im also the onyl one in my family, so ive learn how to adapt fairly well ! I make great vegtable stew !! As well as a great vegtable chilli
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan my whole like becuase of my Pku. So i have alot of recipies !! im also the onyl one in my family, so ive learn how to adapt fairly well ! I make great vegtable stew !! As well as a great vegtable chilli

please share veg stew recipe!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Do you eat eggs? If so....

Fritatta (with brown rice or potato)

Chana Masala (veggie curry with chickpeas)

chana_masala_5.jpg?w=584

http://happygoodtime.com/2012/05/16/chana-masala-with-cucumber-raita-vegetarian-chickpea-curry/

Tomato Basil Soup:

tomatobasilsoup_5.jpg?w=584&h=389

http://happygoodtime.com/2012/02/06/tomato-basil-soup-meal-from-the-pantry/

My approach to feed veggies and non-veggies alike it to break everything up. I would make something like what I listed above for myself, and a side of grilled meat for my family and friends.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If you have the family support, you can ask from time to time that the family meals include vegetarian side dishes and/or salads. With these, can come grilled stuff: meat for your family, mushrooms for them. Again, if they want some cheese on top, they can use it separatly. Most meals can be broken out into this.
    It's not that big deals. And there are stove grills or other ways of cooking meat separately from the rest of the dish.