What are the best PRE and POST workout snacks?

Options
I am wondering what are the best PRE and POST workout snacks, and how far before and after you should be consuming them for best results??

Replies

• mgervasi
    Options
    POST - glass of milk (chocolate or white) with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Weird I know, but it satisfies the munches & it fills me up before bed.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    POST - glass of milk (chocolate or white) with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Weird I know, but it satisfies the munches & it fills me up before bed.

Add some protein powder to that milk instead.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'll drink a cup of skim milk pre so I don't get stomach cramps or anything weird during my jog and have a banana and some peanut butter post. :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You really don't need anything unless you're a professional athlete or spending hours doing intense exercise. Plan your meals well and you don't need extra foods.
  • KL_24
    KL_24 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I heard chocolate milk is one of the best things for post workouts because it has the necessary carbs and sugar to refuel your body. Anyone else agree/have a different opinion?
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    You really don't need anything unless you're a professional athlete or spending hours doing intense exercise. Plan your meals well and you don't need extra foods.

That really depends on how intense your workouts are compared to someone elses. You don't want to get halfway through your workout and start to get fatigued. Eating a snack before your workout really lessens the likelyhood that will happen.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am wondering what are the best PRE and POST workout snacks, and how far before and after you should be consuming them for best results??

Hard to make recommendations as this is largely a matter of personal preference and the necessity (lack of, in most cases) of both depend largely on the overall diet, and training procedures/schedule.

Having said that, I'd let personal preference and gym performance be the important variables to consider.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Poptarts and whey pre. Whatever the hell I want post. Pre-workout nutrition is much more important than post. I don't eat my next meal until 4-5 hours after I workout.
  • wonderwomn27
    wonderwomn27 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    20 MIN BEFORE WORKOUT 1/2 APPLE WITH PEANUT BUTTER AFTER WORKOUT PROTEIN SHAKE.. THAT WORKS FOR ME... OR INSTEAD OF AN APPLE.. A PEAR HOPE THAT HELPSSS GOOD LUCK :smile:
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    pre- half cup of dry raw oats and chocolate whey protein powder and mix that with a little bit of water to create a paste and eat that and drink an energy drink and wait 45 minutes before you work out

post- 2 scoops of whey protein powder(50g of protein), a handful of spinach, water. blend and drink.
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do a slice of cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread and half a banana
    Works like a charm
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk supporter right here.
  • firelle
    firelle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Pre: Banana, bout an hour before

Post: Either my shake- 1 cup almond milk unsweetened, 1 scoop whey, 1 tbsp chunky pb, 1 Tbs choco chips. Delicious AF.

When I can't do that or I'm on the go, yep, chocolate milk (was my go-to when I did TKD). I used to drink Skinny Cow Choco FF milk but it's hard to find now. Over the Moon is good too.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Bryant Stamford, a fitness guy (professor and chairman over the Department of Exercise Science at Hanover College in Hanover IN) once wrote a column in the Louisville Courier Journal, and said that lowfat chocolate milk was almost THE perfect post exercise food ... I'd cut and paste the whole article, but I don't have a paid subscription to the CJ archives.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    3-4 hours before I know I'm going on a long run (8 miles or more) I'll eat a cliff bar because the carbs give me extra energy but if I eat it too close I get stomach pains. If I'm still feeling hungry I'll eat a banana before a run about an hour or so. My stomach is sensitive. This is normally the only food I eat pre-run.

Post work out is protein sometimes this is dinner, other times it's a protein shake or greek yogurt.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Pre- Usually a banana and some peanut butter about 1 to 2 hours before (I hate exercising with food in my stomach, makes me feel weighed down)

Post - Chocolate milk :) usually within 45 minutes of the end of my workout

I think it just depends on your tastes and what makes you feel best.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    PreWO - SuperPump Max, a scoop of BCAA and 20g of maltodextrin or a few rice cakes or similar, basically around 20g of carbs and 20g BCAA.

PostWO - 2 scoops of whey

PostWO Meal - Steak or similar, sweet potato or similar and green veg
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    my pre workout is usually just coffee

I also use a scoop of BCAA's on lift days while fasted ( not positive this is really necessary but I do it)

post lift workout is usually full on meal with at least 800 cals of meat (chicken or tuna or beef) and spinach or broccoli or mixed greens with balsalmic

the idea that we need to eat right before or right after a workout is just that...an idea...if you like to eat before or after, eat what tastes good but don't eat if you don't want to or it's inconvenient at the time
  • KL_24
    KL_24 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    does anyone know the correct windows of time you should have your pre and post workout snacks/meals? i've heard different things like 1-2 hours or just 30 min so i'm not too sure
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have to workout on an empty stomach because I get crampy while jogging if I ate. And afterwards I don't put much thought. I really just walk, jog, elliptical, bike, and/or a few mins of strength training. If I trained harder I would look more into it but so far I haven't had a problem.