Ketogenic Based Diet

Options
So my girlfriend and I have decided to try out the ketogenic diet. She and I are not too overweight (myself more than her). For our stats...

Myself

200.8lbs -- 33.2% fat -- 5'9 Male

Her

126lbs -- 31% fat -- 5'3

She is at a pretty good weight, but has a slight gut that she wants to get rid of lol.

Anyways, off to the diet. I've been trying to figure out ways to eat on a ketogenic diet for people who do NOT enjoy cooking at all. I'm not the type of person to cook "salmon" or make special dishes, nor could I afford these things. I'm seeking information for easy meals. We've almost always been doing fast food for a long time (which is probably the reason I gained 20lbs). As of now my diet would like this...

Breakfast: 2 eggs, Sausage or Bacon, Cheese, a sip of milk.

Lunch: Buddig 90 calorie deli meats, a handful of peanuts

Dinner: Hot dogs (great value low carb... about 3g a piece) with honey mustard or ketchup and cheese.

Snacks: Usually nuts, Though I'm not sure what else would be a good source of fat :p

PS. This isn't everyday, for instance today I had a Tuna Salad from Subway and a sugar free Redbull.

Any suggestions? I've lost 30lbs with this same diet in the past (just a tad more calorie restrictive).

Replies

• sammie190489
    Options
    Hey!

I'm on Keto and my foods are very limited, but just because I'm fussy and don't want to spend hours in the kitchen either! But i have lost 25lbs in two months.

I generally eat: (I always have a protein shake for breakfast!)

Omelettes
    Bacon, eggs and sausages
    Tuna salad
    Egg salad
    Chicken and bacon salad
    Chicken salad
    Home made chilli and salad (Watch those carbs if you buy ready made)
    Home made chicken tikka and salad
    Hazelnuts (as a snack)
    Burger, bacon, egg and cheese (My favourite!)

As I said, I'm pretty limited as to what I will eat, but hope this gives you at least one idea for a meal =)
  • wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    What do you set your carb limit for the day?

I try to keep under 20g on a regular day... but I allow a stretch up to 50g
  • sammie190489
    Options
    Mine is 20g and I make sure I stick to it until I can slowly up it. I'll be on 20g a day for 3/4 weeks and then slowly up it. Or I'll change it as soon as I feel my body get used to it!
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You need to add vegetables to your diet. Things like spinach, broccoli, asparagus, lettuce, cabbage and kale should accompany pretty much everything you eat. This is both to make sure you're getting the nutrients you need and to add much needed fiber into your diet. Veggies have carbs, but most of them are fiber and don't count toward your daily limit for maintaining ketosis.
  • sammie190489
    Options
    You need to add vegetables to your diet. Things like spinach, broccoli, asparagus, lettuce, cabbage and kale should accompany pretty much everything you eat. This is both to make sure you're getting the nutrients you need and to add much needed fiber into your diet. Veggies have carbs, but most of them are fiber and don't count toward your daily limit for maintaining ketosis.

I do have veggies, just forgot to mention them =) It's late, that's my excuse
  • wolf39us
    Options
    I didn't know veggie carbs "don't count". That seems a bit odd
    to me
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Keto is just another form of a diet. It isn't any better then any other "system". If it works for you great but don't think that this is some magical diet that will make you lose weight. Losing weight is about eating less calories then your body needs to maintain its current weight. Keto, IF, Adkins etc. only work if you are in a caloric deficit.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I didn't know veggie carbs "don't count". That seems a bit odd
    to me

because it's usually fiber. Fiber doesn't count for your carb intake as it passes through the body.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    btw I have a really great salad I make occasionally:

chopped shrimp
    kale
    baby spinach
    french green beans
    persian cucumbers
    1 large red pepper
    some diced red onion
    slice almonds
    little bit of sunflower seeds
    walnut pieces
    crumbled goat cheese
    avocado
    sun dried tomato bits
    celery
    cherry tomatos sliced
    flax oil and squeezed lemon juice as a dressing.
    and sometimes i sprinkle on salt free mrs. dash seasoning

This usually takes me a whole day to eat as it weighs around 6 lbs or so lol
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wolf39us
    Options
    Thanks for the bump lol
  • sammie190489
    Options
    Keto is just another form of a diet. It isn't any better then any other "system". If it works for you great but don't think that this is some magical diet that will make you lose weight. Losing weight is about eating less calories then your body needs to maintain its current weight. Keto, IF, Adkins etc. only work if you are in a caloric deficit.

I was never in a calorie deficit when on the diet for the first time round. I was always over. But very strict with my carbs. I lost 25lbs =)
  • sammie190489
    Options
    btw I have a really great salad I make occasionally:

chopped shrimp
    kale
    baby spinach
    french green beans
    persian cucumbers
    1 large red pepper
    some diced red onion
    slice almonds
    little bit of sunflower seeds
    walnut pieces
    crumbled goat cheese
    avocado
    sun dried tomato bits
    celery
    cherry tomatos sliced
    flax oil and squeezed lemon juice as a dressing.
    and sometimes i sprinkle on salt free mrs. dash seasoning

This usually takes me a whole day to eat as it weighs around 6 lbs or so lol

That sounds amazing! But me being so fussy, I'd never eat it =( Damn it!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I was never in a calorie deficit when on the diet for the first time round. I was always over. But very strict with my carbs. I lost 25lbs =)

You were in a calorie deficit if you lost non fluid weight. Low carb diets still require an energy deficit.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    So my girlfriend and I have decided to try out the ketogenic diet. She and I are not too overweight (myself more than her). For our stats...

Myself

200.8lbs -- 33.2% fat -- 5'9 Male

Her

126lbs -- 31% fat -- 5'3

She is at a pretty good weight, but has a slight gut that she wants to get rid of lol.

Anyways, off to the diet. I've been trying to figure out ways to eat on a ketogenic diet for people who do NOT enjoy cooking at all. I'm not the type of person to cook "salmon" or make special dishes, nor could I afford these things. I'm seeking information for easy meals. We've almost always been doing fast food for a long time (which is probably the reason I gained 20lbs). As of now my diet would like this...

Breakfast: 2 eggs, Sausage or Bacon, Cheese, a sip of milk.

Lunch: Buddig 90 calorie deli meats, a handful of peanuts

Dinner: Hot dogs (great value low carb... about 3g a piece) with honey mustard or ketchup and cheese.

Snacks: Usually nuts, Though I'm not sure what else would be a good source of fat :p

PS. This isn't everyday, for instance today I had a Tuna Salad from Subway and a sugar free Redbull.

Any suggestions? I've lost 30lbs with this same diet in the past (just a tad more calorie restrictive).

You really should eat higher quality protein sources than the processed Hot dogs and lunch meats.

Chicken, hamburger, eggs and pork are not that expensive.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

sounds legit
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I did a keto based diet for over a year. I will never do it again.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

How many calories on average per day did you eat out of interest?
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

How many calories on average per day did you eat out of interest?

I'd be interested in the answer to that question, as well.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    ONE! ONE diet fad! AH HA HA HA HAAAAA!

seriously just eat right, SMASH, repeat.