A discourse on health and lifestyle

Options
What does it mean to live a healthy lifestyle? This question has different answers for different people. for some it means extending their life. For others it means attoning for past errors in their health brought on by bad eating habits and bad exercise choices. For some people it means changing their whole routine and attitude on life, maybe even changing their whole career and life's direction. Regardless of the answer you give to this question, almost everyone agrees that living a healthy lifestyle includes making smart choices with their nutrition and adding (or continuing) to be active, exercise, and maintain a strong physical body and keep unhealthy stress levels to a minimum.
Let's face it, none of us are any younger today than we were yesterday, and the longer we wait to be choose a healthy lifestyle, the more life we miss out on. In the grand scheme of things, do you want to look back on your life and say, "WOW, I sure ate some great meals!"? Or would you rather look back and say "Man, look at that, I climbed that mountain." or "I was able to run a marathon when I was 45 years old."? There's no reason to look back and wish you started a long time ago, that's already behind you, start now so you can say ten years from now "I'm so glad I started ten years ago!".
Motivation is great, and it can give you the extra push you need to reach a goal that you set, but we don't need to create artificial motivation to be healthy. Motivation can and will show up when you start setting expectations for yourself, self confidence comes when you meet goals, and better health comes when your goals and expectations center around a better you. Being proud of your body doesn't mean you are conceited, it means you've gained the mental strength to know that you've done your best and it shows in your body. It doesn't matter what that guy next to you thinks of your looks, it matter what YOU think of yourself. The next time you feel depressed or angry that you "fell off the wagon". Take a step back, analyze what you've done, and revel in your successes! I don't mean looking at how many pounds you've lost (although that CAN be one goal), I mean everything. For some the simple decision to change how you eat is a HUGE success, for others, there is no satisfaction short of complete and total annihalation of the goals you set for yourself. What ever your mindset, just remember that making the choice to be healthy is the most important thing you can do, not losing 20 or 30 or 40 pounds.
I have the utmost respect for a 45 year old woman (who wants to lose 60 pounds) that has been on MFP doing everything right, but in 3 months has only lost 8 or 10 lbs. Why? Because she's still here, she's still working hard, and even though she may not have met her own expectations, she continues to work hard. So remember, the next time you miss a goal, or don't do as many reps in the weight room as you wanted, or step on the scale and don't see the big number, don't dwell on it, resign yourself to the idea that this is a LONG journey, and you'll have plenty of opportunities to reach goals, it's only when you give up trying that you fail to succeed!

Best of luck to you all, and stay healthy!

-Banks

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I dig it :happy:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Awesome. :heart:
  • miss_alias
    Options
    Thanks for this post!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    sure puts things in perspective
  • conniestar
    conniestar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good encouragement. I've been working diligently toward a large goal since August, but with very little results since October...yet still plugging away - working out, eating well, and in general taking better care of myself. Yes, it is dissapointing when the scale doesn't show the numbers I have been hoping for, but I am committed to making a difference. Eventually those numbers on the scale are going to catch up to the hard work being done.
    So thanks again for the good word - it's easy to stay motivated when the pounds are coming off, but when they're not...not so much.
  • LooeKey
    LooeKey Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation, i needed that. :smile:
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    Thanks, this is great!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Thanks, Banks- that's what I needed to hear after a lousy run this morning...:flowerforyou:
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    You always have something fantastic to say. Thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thank you Banks! I realize I was really frustrated about a stuck scale, but I just had my physical complete with bloodwork and every single level of mine was perfect and that is something I should be more proud of!
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate this!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Wise words.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Thanks Banks! I do think so people get too caught up on the numbers and not enough on how different their lifestyle is from when they first started. :flowerforyou:
  • jezziebelle
    Options
    it's only when you give up trying that you fail to succeed!

WONDERFUL post. Very inspiring. Thanks Banks. I put that quote ^ on my fridge :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

WONDERFUL post. Very inspiring. Thanks Banks. I put that quote ^ on my fridge :)

I can't take credit for that one, many have stated that same sentiment.

You know what they say... on the shoulders of giants!
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Wow, great post and so motivational. This is exactly what I needed to hear. The scale is not the only measure of how far we have come!!!
  • jezziebelle
    Options

I can't take credit for that one, many have stated that same sentiment.

You know what they say... on the shoulders of giants!

It's all about timing. Reading that right at that moment gave me inspiration and motivation. So thanks! :)
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Great post Banks! I think this should be bumped every Thursday (only 'cause I need some extra motivation on that day).... This post is so great for motivation and help each of us improve our perspective on our overall health goals.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to write this out Steve.

I AM proud of the choices I make. That at 48 I went to my friends 50th Bday party and didn't cry (much:tongue: ) looking in the mirror. It was fun to say HEY you DID it! No regrets......."dang, wish I could wear that red dress but I didn't stick to the plan and still weigh 175 lbs!" :sad:

Each day I make choices to eat better and exercise more. 2 years later and 36 pounds less, I feel wonderful!

:drinker: Here's to you Banksy
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to write this out Steve.

I AM proud of the choices I make. That at 48 I went to my friends 50th Bday party and didn't cry (much:tongue: ) looking in the mirror. It was fun to say HEY you DID it! No regrets......."dang, wish I could wear that red dress but I didn't stick to the plan and still weigh 175 lbs!" :sad:

Each day I make choices to eat better and exercise more. 2 years later and 36 pounds less, I feel wonderful!

:drinker: Here's to you Banksy

and you ain't lookin all that bad either lady! :wink: