Hives! Help!

Options
rowdylibrarian
rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
Okay, I've never had a hives allergic reaction before. They think it's an allergic reaction to an antibiotic called Duricef that they put me on. It's in the penicillin family, but I've never had a problem with any antibiotics before...

I'm taking Benedryl, and now Allegra, too, per the nurse-practitioner advice, but is there anything else one can do for them? I'm covered in what looks like hundreds of tiny bee sting bumps and red splotches. They are itchy and painful, and wherever I touch myself, or scratch a bit, a new flare up starts there. Any fellow sufferers have any advice? Thanks!

Replies

• elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Oh sweetie, sooooo sorry! Have you tried a topical corticosteroid like Benadryl anti-itch spray? Should be able to get it in any med. aisle, should be with bandaids and such.
  • rowdylibrarian
    Options
    I haven't tried that, yet, thanks! Right now, they are more painful than itchy. Maybe they have cycles or something.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me that turmeric did wonders for hives. You may end up orange, but hey, if it stops the itching....
  • SummerMarieM
    Options
    Where are the hives?
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    In the same hell as you! Mine are probably stress induced as there is NOTHING new in my life....
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    is there a different antibiotic you can take. Sometime they can assign somthing different as there is a spectrum of different kinds that treat various things, so for MOST things you have options, even if the alternate is taken longer if you are comfortable there is a better chance you will stick with it.

Yes the hives/ welts do cycle and will pop up here there and everywhere and continue :( it blows.

If you are miserable and they can not prescribe you somthing different, ask what is the minimum you have to take the antibiotics. Most of the time they tell you to finish the rx, but if you are having a hard time finishing they might say for instance it would be great if you can finish and take for 15 days...but you must complete at least 7.

Try a lotion called Sarnia it can help and vs a bunch of tubes of benadryl cream it is probably cheaper. Also you can try aveno bath packs they help alot to. Other than that if you have to take that med you will be itchy :( sorry
  • rowdylibrarian
    Options
    Where are the hives?

They keep cropping up in different places. First they started on my neck, back and chest, and now they are on my legs, arms, feet, and hands.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal bath. Soooo nice! (been there)

For the record, allergies develop from repeated exposure. I'd never had a problem either, but the last time I took Augmentin I broke out in hives. It's now listed as an allergy for me, and they don't prescribe it anymore. My doctor also had me stop it immediately, 'though the doctor/NP will be taking into account all of your specifics in whether they tell you to do that or not.

If the hives don't get better, or if they get worse (and/or add other things) call your doctor back.

In theory, it could eventually get severe and cause an anaphalactic reaction, which of course is a medical emergency.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If it gets any worse or you have worse symptoms, go to the ER....
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Calamine lotion.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    YES! I have this happen when I take Sulpha antibiotics.
    hives head to toe.

stop taking whatever's doing it, it won't get better.

but to feel relief, get colloidal oatmeal baths. Aveeno might be the most common.

I never would have guessed that oatmeal baths would have helped the terrible itching, but the relief was instantaneous.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal bath. Soooo nice! (been there)

YES
  • JTH11706
    JTH11706 Posts: 2,929 Member
    Options
    So sorry for you. I had hives last year due to a reaction to sulfa antibiotics. First, do not use a topical lotion that contains Benadryl if you are already taking Benadryl. Read the labels before using any over the counter lotion to be sure. Second, ask your doctor how long the symptoms may last, so you know what to expect. In my case it took two weeks after I stopped taking the drug for it to leave my system. Third, ask your doctor if there is something else you can do to ease the symptoms. After trying several other things my doctor was finally able to prescribe a topical lotion that stopped the symptoms dead. Finally, an oatmeal bath like Aveeno is soothing. Good luck!
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I had that same reaction--hives from head to toe--from a sulfa drug. I went to the E.R. and they gave me a shot of epinephrine. That cleared it all right up once the shaking stopped. The stuff is like liquid adrenaline! I now have it listed on all of my medical charts and driver's license as being allergic to it. Next time could cause a very serious reaction. Good luck!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I made them give me a Z pac of steriods and took Seldan ( Zyrtec, which is an over the counter drug). But you can NOT take that (zyrtec) with Benadryl but it works much much better. I have chronic hives. You should see my arms when I put up the Christmas Tree, thousands of little bitty bumps all up and down my arms. Even a blood pressure check will make my hive appear.

Also heat makes them worse, so if you take an oatmeal bath don't make it a hot one. The heat brings them out and you will pay the price. The oatmeal bath will help sooth the pain.
  • rowdylibrarian
    Options
    Thanks for all of the help, everyone! I really appreciate it! Right now, whatever it is seems to be attacking my joints, since it feels like both of my wrists are broken, and are about to snap into pieces! I'm not sure why that's happening.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    Thanks for all of the help, everyone! I really appreciate it! Right now, whatever it is seems to be attacking my joints, since it feels like both of my wrists are broken, and are about to snap into pieces! I'm not sure why that's happening.

inflamation possibly affecting the joints. it probably wouldn"t hurt to see a dr if you are having such bad reaction and stressing out your body.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing, only mine are from living in a house that is infested with mold and the home-owner(future MIL) refuses to do anything about it. What works for me is to take a benadryl, while also rubbing a topical ointment on the afflicted areas.
  • rowdylibrarian
    Options
    I'm about to try an oatmeal bath. Hopefully that will help!
  • SummerMarieM
    Options
    Are you going to the Doctor? How are the hives today?