Chinese food question

Options
hopeing someone may be able to help me out.....I have a ton of weight to loose, and my husband and some friends want to go out to a chinese buffett tomorrow afternoon....on my weight loss journey i eat what i want but just mind how much i eat of it, and so far that has gotten me from 236, to 210.8......my question is no matter how much or little you eat of chinese its very high in calories, so how do i keep it down on a lower scale, and how do i log a buffett menu on mfp.....?

Replies

• shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    can you order soup (tom yum no noodles) and a salad off the menu or maybe beef and steamed broccoli (hold the rice) or something?
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Ask the chef to prepare your food without added sodium or fat. They will normally do this if you ask.
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Stay away from anything breaded and fried like sweet and sour chicken or eggrolls. Pile on the veggies. Be careful about sauces, that is where they get you on calories and sodium.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You are going to a buffet. Most likely, they have a nice salad bar so have a nice salad before you hit the hot bar. Then, have a plate of your favorites. End with some fruit.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Eat until your full and stop..have a light dinner.. Enjoy it, you probably don't do buffets much anymore..
  • krystalannmiller
    Options
    I dont think i can order anything, bc its one of those buffetts that what you see is what you get....thanks everyone vry much for the reply's
  • Theohariti
    Theohariti Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Eat excessive amounts of broccoli and cantaloupe with tiny bit of meat to flavor it. That's what I do. They are low cal, and I fill my veggies bill for a couple days lol.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Steamed dumplings are not too bad in calories. There is also beef and broccoli, which might be better than the fried stuff. Do some research before. But I also agree you should enjoy it and move in.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    make sure you get yourself some hot tea and a glass of water. Slam the water then pour yourself a glass a tea. Go for the soup like wonton or hot and sour then get fish and green beans. If they have salad make yourself a plate. Don't eat the fried and breaded crap.
  • krystalannmiller
    Options
    how do you log everything in on mfp tho, bc i dont know about everyone else but when it comes to a buffett like chineese, i dont know what everything is called to even type it in.....but i dont want to miss a day or lie on my food tracker
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    We on occasion still visit a buffet here or there. Try to stay away from the breaded, fried items. Watch the sauces, there should be some steamed veggies, some green beans, a nice salad bar. if you enjoy seafood. There should probably be shrimp and maybe oysters. Look for chicken and maybe pork sticks. They probably have fresh fruits too...I wish you luck and if you over eat...just add some extra walking in.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Stay away from anything breaded and fried like sweet and sour chicken or eggrolls. Pile on the veggies. Be careful about sauces, that is where they get you on calories and sodium.

This

Besides, as long as you don't eat like this every day, you really are t causing yourself any harm.... As long as it doesn't become your slippery slope
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Vegetable spring rolls are usually around ~100 calories each which isn't too bad
  • jgthomas78
    Options
    The teriyaki chicken on a stick isn't too bad on calories and if they have a mongolian grill where you pick your meat and veggies that's a great option. You can type in chinese buffet on MFP and it comes up with options to chose from. Do some extra exercise too to balance your calories and to feel a little better.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Some members have added generic "chinese buttets" in the data base with varying calorie amounts. I try to do like others have said and have a salad first and try to stay away from the fried and breaded food. Don't worry too much about it, my family insists on chinese buffets often and I have still managed to lose 46lbs. Just don't weigh for a few days until the water weight from the sodium drops off. =)
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    how do you log everything in on mfp tho, bc i dont know about everyone else but when it comes to a buffett like chineese, i dont know what everything is called to even type it in.....but i dont want to miss a day or lie on my food tracker

just log your normal foods at home and skip logging the buffet.. add a note at the bottom..or pick the generic items in the database..I am sure most of the items are available on MFP.
  • krystalannmiller
    Options
    Thank you all so much...and i about fell on the floor laughing when i heard the water weight thing......Its sooooo true tho, ill blow up like a balloon! Again thank you all so very much!:heart:
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Choose the dishes that look like real food - chicken breast with lots of vegetables for example, only a little sauce. Avoid anything deep fried or meat with skin/ fat on, avoid white rice and white noodles because they behave the same as sugar in the body.
  • vader0677
    Options
    simple only eat white rice and steamed chicken and veggies and add some soy sauce and hot mustard. also keep portions small and drink a lot of water due to high sodium.