SIMPLE HEALTHY RECIPES??!

Options
1lexisva
1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
I am a beginner cook and want easy recipes that I can try. I do not know how to cook and eat out a lot but since I have been trying to lose weight I am into trying new easy recipes. Any Help or suggestions?! Thanks!

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Try skinnytaste.com
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I second skinnytaste.com

But also, Be creative. You can make a simple chicken breast baked in the oven and then just add different things to make it "exciting" For instance a layer of spinach over it, 1/2 a cup of spaghetti sauce, and a mozzerella cheese stick melted over the top. YUMMY. I also like to layer pico de gallo over my chicken breasts.

Good luck
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thanks I will check that out :)
  • Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Try out eatcleandiet.com, I LOVE the recipes there, and Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet Cookbook. Even if you're not eating clean, the recipes are AWESOME and the meals are mostly low in calories and fat. I love the oatmeal pumpkin muffins :)
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    I just started a healthy food blog at http://ahealthyhunger.tumblr.com

I am a student with a kitchenette and limited time to prepare food. Should be helpful.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thank you for the websites I will definitely check them out!! :)
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I know it's not purely healthy foods, but I learned how to cook (really didn't know how!) using allrecipes.com. It's a great website for beginners. Of course, there are a lot of super calorie filled foods and desserts on there too, but you can find healthy ones too. The best part of that website is that you can type in the ingredients that you have on hand and then search for recipes with the same ingredients.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    I know it's not purely healthy foods, but I learned how to cook (really didn't know how!) using allrecipes.com. It's a great website for beginners. Of course, there are a lot of super calorie filled foods and desserts on there too, but you can find healthy ones too. The best part of that website is that you can type in the ingredients that you have on hand and then search for recipes with the same ingredients.

Thanks! I have looked on there and also Food Network like Paula Deen recipes lol...I am trying to eat Healthier it is hard but I am trying :)
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    "Paleo Comfort Foods" is a great cookbook.
  • amberiam
    amberiam Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I need all of the help I can get lol
  • awarner77
    awarner77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been buying chicken breasts, and making sure I get good sources of protein. So.. I have been making a chicken breast, grilled, and quinoa.. add a little seasoning, and voila.! I have a non-stick pan I cook the chicken in, and once the chicken is almost cooked, I add 1/4 cup quinoa, and chicken broth instead of water.. Works great, and keep the chicken moist, while the quuinoa cooks for 15 min..
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I check my folder when I get home from work. I have a lot of recipe sites saved.
  • brandianne22
    brandianne22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Go to the library for cook books. That's how I thought myself how to cook.
  • meshamoo
    meshamoo Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of varying stuffed chicken recipes.... just thaw out some chicken breasts and pound them thin (if they aren't already). Mix some ingredients together and plop a little on the chicken, roll up and secure with a toothpick. Dip in some low sodium chicken broth and roll around in some unseasoned bread crumbs (I buy plain and season my own to save on sodium) and place on a non-stick (or sprayed) baking sheet. Bake at 450 for around 25 mins (watch to make sure they don't burn if you used dry ingredients like raw spinach).

Some ideas I've tried are:

Jalapeno popper chicken: for the filling, mix fat free cream cheese, fat free plain greek yogurt, chopped jalapenos, pepper, and fat free cheddar cheese.

Spinach chicken: use the above, but leave out the jalapenos and mix in some chopped up spinach.

Pizza chicken: mix together sauce (I use Ragu's reduced sugar tomato basil or plain and season myself), chopped up turkey pepperoni, fat free mozzarella shredded cheese, chopped green peppers, mushrooms, and onions and use as filling. Once you've "rolled" the chicken (it's a little tough with this one) top with a little sauce and some extra cheese.

The jalapeno popper recipe I got from Skinny Taste and adapted by trial and error. Made the spinach and pizza ones up :smile:
  • newjuli2012
    Options
    I second skinnytaste.com

But also, Be creative. You can make a simple chicken breast baked in the oven and then just add different things to make it "exciting" For instance a layer of spinach over it, 1/2 a cup of spaghetti sauce, and a mozzerella cheese stick melted over the top. YUMMY. I also like to layer pico de gallo over my chicken breasts.

Good luck

this sounds delicious!!!
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    What is quinoa?
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    I make a lot of varying stuffed chicken recipes.... just thaw out some chicken breasts and pound them thin (if they aren't already). Mix some ingredients together and plop a little on the chicken, roll up and secure with a toothpick. Dip in some low sodium chicken broth and roll around in some unseasoned bread crumbs (I buy plain and season my own to save on sodium) and place on a non-stick (or sprayed) baking sheet. Bake at 450 for around 25 mins (watch to make sure they don't burn if you used dry ingredients like raw spinach).

Some ideas I've tried are:

Jalapeno popper chicken: for the filling, mix fat free cream cheese, fat free plain greek yogurt, chopped jalapenos, pepper, and fat free cheddar cheese.

Spinach chicken: use the above, but leave out the jalapenos and mix in some chopped up spinach.

Pizza chicken: mix together sauce (I use Ragu's reduced sugar tomato basil or plain and season myself), chopped up turkey pepperoni, fat free mozzarella shredded cheese, chopped green peppers, mushrooms, and onions and use as filling. Once you've "rolled" the chicken (it's a little tough with this one) top with a little sauce and some extra cheese.

The jalapeno popper recipe I got from Skinny Taste and adapted by trial and error. Made the spinach and pizza ones up :smile:

Yummm I will try some of these!! Thanks!!
  • 01katrina
    01katrina Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Good ideas
    I think I will try some too!