too much milk?

Options
mkoff32
mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
Is there such a thing as drinking too much milk? Since I've completely changed my crap eating habits, I've been drinking a lot of skim milk. I vitrually cut pop out completely, and I drink a ton of water throughout the day. So at meal times I usually have a big ol glass of skim milk. I'd say I probably drink 3-4 glasses a day.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... are you watching carbs and fat? Skim milk does have those so you might want to cut a couple glasses out. I used to have cereal with milk and sometimes another glass during the day with a snack or something else and I did fine with losing weight...3-4 seems a bit high, though.
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    As long as you are staying within you calories everyday. I cut my milk at dinner some nights. I usually drink 2 cups of skim milk with my dinner. I just cut it back to one cup at dinner. I love milk and could never cut it completely out of my diet. I can't help myself I am a bit a dairy hound. I love milk, cheese and yogurt. Everything in moderation right.
  • rpolzin25
    rpolzin25 Posts: 19
    Options
    Too much milk is not a problem. Just make sure you are not drinking all your milk in one sitting. Spreading it out throughout the day is best because you body can only absorb so much calcium at one time. Probably around 500-600 mg at a time. So if you are drinking too much milk in one sitting then you are getting extra calories without the benefit of the calcium.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    dairy foods, such as milk, provide protein and carbohydrates and contain many other nutrients, including calcium. it is recommended that adults get several servings of dairy a day, and around 700-800mg of calcium for a healthy male. one glass of milk has a little less than 1/3 the recommended calcium intake (around 200-250mg), so 3-4 servings might be perfect for you.

however, there has been a link between too much calcium and prostate cancer, so just be aware of it.
    dawn

p.s. your new daughter is beautiful! congrats to you and your wife.