Binge eating.. ?

I step on the scale,
I see a number I don't like,
& I'm determined to lose weight.

& then when I really think about it,
I get upset, and then I binge eat.

I can't control it,
& I'm not sure how to stop giving in to all of this fattening, sh*tty food.

Any tips?
I need suggestions.

<3

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    On thursday and friday of last week, are your food diary values accurate?
    Are you eating at that level at a doctor's orders?
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Sometimes you are not ready to change your habits. Once you are, it will be easy. Took me awhile before being ready to lower my food intake/changing my food options.
  • BurtHuttz
    Your target weight is a little low for your height but not dangerously low. Your current caloric intake is WAY too low for your body to function properly.

As a 5'2" 21 year old female at your weight, your Basal Metabolic Rate is 1435 calories per day. That means that, lying in a hospital bed in a coma, that's the nutrition your body needs to circulate blood, respirate oxygen, and process toxins in your body.

You must not eat below your BMR if you want to lose weight. Your body will eventually fail if you continuously eat below your BMR, you'll destroy your metabolism, and screw up your life.

The reason that I say all of this is because you are an animal on earth and your drive to live is pretty insatiable. So here you are with your brain trying to kill yourself, driving your body to the brink of death and starvation, it doesn't take much to kick in to survival mode. Then, suddenly, a little fat hits your lips and ---you can't control yourself---. Because that little fire inside you is starving and it'd kill your momma for some food.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I get the same issue. I spent 6 weeks basically binge eating daily (and purging often) and it can really mess up your weight. I am 5'10 and was maintaining around 126 for almost a year until that happened, impossible now to get back there without copious amounts of exercise or a very low intake. Really sucks. Definitely wont be going there again. Actually, staying there was taking 1200-1400 calorie exercise burns daily. You have to resign yourself to a life of extremes if you want to be at a lower bmi weight, basically, unless naturally blessed.
  • Your target weight is a little low for your height but not dangerously low. Your current caloric intake is WAY too low for your body to function properly.

As a 5'2" 21 year old female at your weight, your Basal Metabolic Rate is 1435 calories per day. That means that, lying in a hospital bed in a coma, that's the nutrition your body needs to circulate blood, respirate oxygen, and process toxins in your body.

You must not eat below your BMR if you want to lose weight. Your body will eventually fail if you continuously eat below your BMR, you'll destroy your metabolism, and screw up your life.

The reason that I say all of this is because you are an animal on earth and your drive to live is pretty insatiable. So here you are with your brain trying to kill yourself, driving your body to the brink of death and starvation, it doesn't take much to kick in to survival mode. Then, suddenly, a little fat hits your lips and ---you can't control yourself---. Because that little fire inside you is starving and it'd kill your momma for some food.

How do I find out my BMR?
  • tbetz1
    tbetz1 Posts: 48 Member
    On thursday and friday of last week, are your food diary values accurate?
    Are you eating at that level at a doctor's orders?

I looked at your diary, if you are counting everything you are eating, I would say you need to up your calorie intake a bit.
    When I upped my calorie intake to around 2000 calories and ate at regular intervals my cravings to binge became less frequent
  • BurtHuttz
    BMR: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    TDEE: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

BMR is the floor. TDEE is the ceiling. Try to aim for about a 15 - 20% intake below the ceiling for optimal weight loss.

You do not need to resign yourself to a life of extremes!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Judging by your diary, it's no wonder you want to binge... your body is practically deprived. Up your calories, seriously.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Here are my suggestions:

Get the crappy food out of the house. Decide that it's off limits, forgive yourself and take care of yourself, you deserve it. You have the power to control it, you have to find a way to harness it.

With me, I think a binge is a function of trying to stuff feelings down instead of deal with them. And once I start, I punish myself by continuing, so it's also about respecting myself. Even though there are things I don't like about myself (my weight for example) I can still love myself and accept that I am a work in progress.

You're a young woman, you need a reasonable, healthy, balanced food intake. Discover what is really bothering you, get the trigger foods out of reach, eat in a balanced way and I believe you will conquer your binges.
  • I step on the scale,
    I see a number I don't like,
    & I'm determined to lose weight.

& then when I really think about it,
    I get upset, and then I binge eat.

I can't control it,
    & I'm not sure how to stop giving in to all of this fattening, sh*tty food.

Any tips?
    I need suggestions.

<3

How often are you weighing yourself? Try weighing yourself less often and instead of focusing on the number that you see, focus on how the healthy foods you are eating are making you feel better.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Your diary goes up and down a lot. Start with consistently logging every thing you put into your mouth. Next aim for consistency from day to day. Its a lot easier to not binge if you eat consistently.

Try not to drink your calories and try for healthier foods. They are generally more filling and better for you over all.
  • BurtHuttz
    Here are my suggestions:

Get the crappy food out of the house. Decide that it's off limits, forgive yourself and take care of yourself, you deserve it. You have the power to control it, you have to find a way to harness it.

With me, I think a binge is a function of trying to stuff feelings down instead of deal with them. And once I start, I punish myself by continuing, so it's also about respecting myself. Even though there are things I don't like about myself (my weight for example) I can still love myself and accept that I am a work in progress.

Discover what is really bothering you, get the trigger foods out of reach and I believe you will conquer your binges.

She's eating 500 calories a day.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    You need to break the cycle of restricting too harshly, and binging later. Everything in moderation.

If you have a day where you fall of the wagon (and we all do), pick yourself back up, and pat yourself on the back for doing so.

I ate a HUGE tuna fish sandwich and fries today at the local restaurant. I didn't feel guilty. My body kind of needed it (okay, maybe not the fries). I do feel better, and I'm back at it again.
  • From a world class champion bringer, the trick for me was learning to control my guilt.

I grew up with a very unhealthy relationship with food, where everything that was bad or me became all that i wanted and i learn to associate eating rubbish with feeling good. So when i stepped on the scales and felt bad, my first instinct was to eat, feel so guilty for doing it and then eat some more to try and get rid of the bad feeling of guilt. This is not an easy habit to break! I cringe when I look back at how much money i have wasted on take-outs over the last few years.

I have been trying since i was 17 to loose weight and now, finally, at 24 i am starting to get it!

I know that someday, i am going to wake up eat nothing but rubbish and eat a whole pizza for dinner. Before, i would have woken up the next day thinking how badly i had done, get so strict with myself that i would hardly eat anything then a few days later, binge again because i was so hungry. Now, i own my choice. i say to myself " Ok, today is gonna be a blow out day, so enjoy everything you eat and tomorrow, your gonna wake up as if it never happened and keep going" no guilt, no stress and i found that doing this made me want to binge less and less because i stopped making myself feeling worse, causing me to binge more.

Something i find that helps as well is planning your meals for the next day. Get everything ready for a healthy meal your really enjoy (for me its oven roast salmon or chicken stir-fry!) so you have something good to look forward to. This way you are making yourself look forward to something healthy which is a great state of mind to get into.

At the end of the day chick we are all human, we are all going to have out off days, the trick is to own your choice and move on :)

Feel free to add me as a friend if you need the support x
  • First of all, throw away that scale if it affects you like that. Be strict on weighing yourself just once a week or even once a month, not every day.
    One of the main causes of binging is a restrictive or low calorie diet, if you deprive yourself of the nutrients you need or the foods you enjoy then it can lead to a binge cycle. Remember that it is a lifestyle change, not just a diet.

How many calories do you aim for on an average day and how many calories are your binge?