Is 2100 cals too low? Whats ideal for 6ft 2" ?

I've done the P90x program for 90 days and I roughly lost 25 pounds. I do a 40/40/20 split and I've been trying to get 2100 cal a day. I started a P90x / Insanity hybrid and I'm unfortunately still losing weight. I'm over 30 pounds down and its actually below my ideal weight. I wasn't that much over weight to begin with. I actually eat more now than I did when I was unhealthy 4 months ago except now its not pringles and chocolate bars.

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    If you are trying to gain weight then reset your goals according to your activity level and set it to gain .5 lbs a week or 1 lb a week, give it a go and see if the scale moves after 2 weeks to a month ... I am only 5ft 9 work a lightly active job on my feet 5 days a week, lift 5 days a week and I was not gaining at 2400 calories a day, so you may need a decent amount more. Ideal weight gain while lifting weights would be 1-2 lbs a month to keep fat gains to a minimum from everything I have ever heard or read
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    You need to calculate your TDEE then eat at it to maintain your weight. What is your ideal weight? What does that even mean? What is your BF%?
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    You need to calculate your TDEE then eat at it to maintain your weight. What is your ideal weight? What does that even mean? What is your BF%?

By Ideal weight I meant my original target. I had an original target based on averages. Beyond that I didnt have a goal. My problem currently being that Im still losing weight.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Congrats on reaching your goal.

Are you happy with the way you look? If so add calories. 500 calories a day is a pound a week. If you are still losing a pound a week add 500 calories and see what happens. Or you could, as I suggested, calculate your TDEE and eat at maintenance. If you gain from that point cut some calories, if you are still losing weight add some more calories.
  • By Ideal weight I meant my original target. I had an original target based on averages. Beyond that I didnt have a goal. My problem currently being that Im still losing weight.

Then you're not eating enough and your wasting your P90X workouts. Your workouts are designed to increase muscle mass thus increasing body weight (albeit not that much). Thus if you're at your target weight and you are losing weight, you are wasting all the hard work and effort you put into your workouts.

Use the USDA's online Adult Energy Needs and BMI Calculator to determine how many calories you need to maintain your weight.
    http://www.bcm.edu/cnrc/caloriesneed.cfm

EDIT: Its difficult to lose weight and put on muscle at the same time. It's possible but you have to walk a very fine line calorie wise. If you don't consume enough calories you won't build muscle and you may force your body to consume your muscle to meet its caloric needs (defeating your workouts completely). A low calorie diet and the P90X are not a good mix.