Treadmill

Options
So I really love running outdoors but this is challenging for me to do during the week. I get up so early for work, and by the time I get home it is already dark during winter. I do not feel entirely safe running outdoors alone while it is dark & cold out, so most often my 2 weeknight runs end up on the treadmill in my apartment's gym. (Thank goodness I have time to do my long run outside on the weekend!)

The problem with this is I really loathe the treadmill. I get so bored and I feel like I get tired so much faster than I do when running outside on a track or trail.

Does anyone have any good advice to make the treadmill less dreadful? Also, I really like pyramid workouts for swimming, so does anyone have any good ones that I could use for a treadmill?

Replies

• portwein
    portwein Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use to hate the treadmill, but it is part of living in Wisconsin and not being able to run outside without slipping and falling with injuries. Then I discovered an app for downloading books and listening with a headset. I also like to have the TV on, but the volume has to be turned up so loud the wife complains. To get the feeling of being outdoors, ry having a fan blowing towards the front of the treadmill, it works for me. Good luck, and remember to get plenty of vit D during these days short without sunlight.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just put in some earbuds and time flies. Treadmills actually make me feel less worn out :P
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I like to use the treadmill for interval training - sometimes I'll do 1 minute at 11km/hr and then 1 minute at 16km/hr, other times I'll do one song at 11km/hr and one song at 14km/hr. I find changing it up really makes the time fly by.

If I am doing a longer rune on the treadmill I only ever do it in 20 minute blocks, so I trick myself. The couple of seconds it takes to restart the treadmill is nothing really.

Donna
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I set up a cheap 13" TV on a shelf in front of my treadmill and try to watch something at least slightly interesting. I also play with the speeds and incline, make challenges for myself, and try to beat some time limit. It's terminally boring still but better than staring at a wall and just pounding out the miles.
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I use to hate the treadmill, but it is part of living in Wisconsin and not being able to run outside without slipping and falling with injuries. Then I discovered an app for downloading books and listening with a headset. I also like to have the TV on, but the volume has to be turned up so loud the wife complains. To get the feeling of being outdoors, ry having a fan blowing towards the front of the treadmill, it works for me. Good luck, and remember to get plenty of vit D during these days short without sunlight.

I'm a sucker for lots of TV shows and catch up on them while on the treadmill. Time flies during my run/walks. To help you (and anyone else) with the TV volume situation, I use this:

http://www.sears.com/sony-wireless-stereo-headphones-with-transmitter/p-05794664000P

... TV volume can be on the lowest setting (even mute) so it won't bother others and you can have it as loud as you want in your ears!
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    (deleted duplicate post)
  • gottaluvya
    Options
    I don't do the treadmill...heck, I don't even set foot in the gym LOL...without my music! the music just helps me get thru. I also do not head outside for my walks or jogs without my tunes, unless hubby and I are walking together.

A plus side of my gym is that it has a cardio cinema. I do not really care what movie is in there, but it is cool and dark and I can concentrate on my walk/jog and not on everything else around me (the main gym is soooo bright and bustling!) That helps me a lot too.

I have a friend who is an avid runner on her home treadmill and she just catches up on her DVR stuff :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    If I do treadmill, I do HITT, that way it's only 20 minutes and I'm done.

What is HITT? HITT Is probably the best fat burning exercise on a treadmill that we know of today. I like it because it is quick, efficient, and it keeps things moving.

Here are some examples: http://www.nutritionnutontherun.com/2011/12/06/6-hiit-treadmill-workouts/
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Our treadmill is in the bedroom in front of a TV with cable, so I like to watch shows while on it or a movie. Another alternative if that's not possible is to do intervals where you're changing up your run ever few minutes to go faster or slow down. This will burn more calories than just running too.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of distractions -

* TV on
    * Interval training - only way to go - play games with interval duration and incline
    * Ipod in left ear

Before I know it ... voila... I'm sweaty and I've run 4 miles

Sweet!
  • ndarnecwy
    ndarnecwy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Actually, treadmills are actually easier to run on. At least, if you're not running on an incline or staring intently at the clock.
    Watch Law and Order: SVU. If I start watching that at the gym, I feel like I'll never leave.
  • Yuukigirl
    Options
    I can only use the treadmill for now and I usually use mp3 player of watch TV. Sometimes a little bit of both, but I find that music is safer as I often slow down when watching the TV. We all know what happens when you go too slow on a treadmill. *Falls*